RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's why I like this forum.  I'm always learning new stuff.  ;D ;D  Thanks & c u in Moab.

Mike Wagner

[quote author=Ned]The campground next door has a sign at the ramp but is not listed in TLD.[/quote]

Here's what happened to us when we stayed at a place that wasn't listed in the directory, but did have a sign at the freeway off ramp.

The campground we stayed at (without the ramp sign) was MUCH nicer than the one next door with the ramp sign but no TLD listing.  We did have the advantage of being in Tucson in January and getting to check out the campground and make a reservation, although we would not have needed it as it turned out.  The directory listings do give at a somewhat standard rating so you know what to expect.  I suspect the non-listed campground would not have fared well with the TLD rating people.

I may be a day late getting to Moab.

I promised my Mom that we'd fly back to Philadelphia the preceeding week.  The excuse is I'm going to a Three Stooges convention the weekend of April 23. The real reason is to let her visit her sister and brother that she hasn't seen for 25 years.  We won't be getting back into San Francisco until Friday, May 6.  Then I'll fly to Las Vegas on Saturday the 7th, drive back here to Pahrump to get the motorhome, then head towards Moab.  I doubt I'll make it the whole way the first day.

The rest of the story is between now and then, I'm putting the motorhome in storage here in Pahrump, parking my car at the Las Vegas airport and flying up to Seattle and back.  I'm going there to volunteer - helping a community group get their new FM station on the air - so I have to watch my pennies.  I can stay with friends, so the total cost of flying, storage, etc. is slightly more than ONE THIRD of what it would cost to drive the rig.  $600 vs. $1600.

Crazy stuff.

We made reservations at Portal today.  I think we will be in site 17.

Jeannine & Dan Wainwright

Wonderful, Jeannine!  I'll add you to the list.

ArdraF

ATTENDEES LIST - RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

Berry (Marilee & Dick), site M-29
Bertram (Christi & Kim), site M-17
Brewer (Betty & Terry), site 4
Bullock (Phil & Doris?), site M-16
Dick (Pat & Jim), site M-21
Down (Liza & Ray), site M-20
Ferguson (Coleen & Gary), site R-47
FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-19
Lawrence (Wendy & Mike), site R-46
Mahoney (Russ), site 5
Nesbitt (Mary Ann & Don), site M-30
Pennings (Mimi & Chris), site R-57
Roscoe (Corinne & Bill), site M-32
Schneider (Lou), site 22
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site R-54
Wagner (Judy & Mike), site R-55
Wainwright (Jeannine & Dan), site 17
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site M-14
West (Marge & Dan), site 25
White (Tara & Ernie), site M-34
? Chrystal & Mike, site M-31 (surname?)

Possible:  Maria & Gary

Susan and I had a great time at last year's HS&J rally in Utah, but we won't make it this year. We've been to Moab several times and have decided to focus on Colorado biking, hiking and fly fishing with maybe a side trip to AZ.

After we saw you, we traveled to OR and CA and back to CO. Then to MI and IL and back. Spent most of Nov and Dec traveling through the cold South and touring FL and SC before heading back via the TX pan handle and NM. Did all of about 16k miles in our first full year.

Anyway, maybe next year.

Don

Well, Don, it appears you're off to a good start fulltiming.  It's amazing how many miles we can rack up in only one year.  Too bad you won't make Moab this year, but I guess we can't be two places at the same time.  Safe travels.

ArdraF

Well, Al, I'd take you off the list but can't since you weren't on it anyway!  ;) ;D  Have fun with your alternate plan!

ArdraF

We did a Moab warm up yesterday, by do'n the Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona, Az. Broken Arrow is maintained by the Pink Jeep Tour Co. and there were several of them out there. Along with a few other Jeeps, and several hikers.

The city was booming, and looks like it's growing. And it has recovered nicely from the flooding.

And the scenery was as beautiful.

any list yet for activities??

Dan - Our Moab rally tends to be pretty laid back and what we do very much depends on such things as the hiking and 4WD trails, as well as the weather.  One year we had a great 4WD trail ride planned but the black skies in that direction were too threatening that morning so we found something else to do.  We usually have a planning session at the first happy hour and then we find out who wants to do what and who's volunteering to lead an event.  Some of us lead hikes (easy, hard, or in-between), others lead trail rides (4WD or horseback), others take the lead on special dinners like on the Colorado River, etc.  So think about what you want to do and bring it up at happy hour.  Oh, and the one thing we ALWAYS do EAT!  ;D

ArdraF

[quote author=ArdraF]Dan - Our Moab rally tends to be pretty laid back....[/quote]

I almost fell of my chair reading that Ardra. Anyone trying to keep up with you and Jerry wouldn't consider they're being laid back. Heck, Jerry doesn't even stop to shave before leaving the coach in the morning, and shaves on his warm-up walk (there's a photo somewhere here in the forum).

Oh, Tom, that's a really good one.  Thanks for a good laugh!  Maybe I should rephrase that it's laid back in the sense that we don't preplan much in advance.  Better??  ;)

ArdraF

[quote author=ArdraF]....it's laid back in the sense that we don't preplan much in advance.[/quote]

Ah, that would be accurate Ardra  ;D

utahclaimjumper said:
15 days before we leave for MOAB!!  any list yet for activities??>>>Dan 8) 

Dan, You inspired me to get out my Moab hiking, biking, and 4WD books. So many possibilities ......

Wendy
Cortez CO

I have corresponded with Adra about Moab and she suggested that I post this on the Forum.  We have been trying to schedule some important landscaping work at our home in NM and as luck would have it, the current schedule conflicts with our planned trip to Moab.  So we are going to cancel our reservations very soon.  We have reserved space 47 at Portal arriving May 1 and departing May 16. 

If someone wants this space, you might call the Portal RV Park in Moab and see if you can get it.

thanks, Gary and Coleen.

Back
Top Bottom