RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gee, wunderground.com has it up to 60% chance of precip now.....we must be parked under part of that 60%. I was able to get Gordon during a brief lull. Thought maybe I'd go out in my bathsuit and wash the coach :)

Wendy

Brewers are having lunch out  and will be going to the Movies at  7 pm.  Slickrock Cinema3  580 Kane Blvd.  We are seeing Hanna.  Also  playing is Thor and Fast 5.
They only have matinees on the weekends which is what I saw when I looked yesterday.
Betty

Is anyone going to be doing any 4wd trails on Friday or Saturday?  We would like to participate in one but we won't be arriving until Thursday.  Mike.

We're going to see Hanna, too. Big lunch, then snacks at Happy Hour then a HUGE tub of popcorn.

Wendy

zmotorsports said:
Is anyone going to be doing any 4wd trails on Friday or Saturday?  We would like to participate in one but we won't be arriving until Thursday.  Mike.

I think  we will be doing such runs all week pending weather.  Everything is penciled into sand as a plan .  We usually  " finalize" the plans at  happy hour 4:15 the  night before. 

A couple of groups are  researching  dinner/activities out,  so watch Forum for news to see if we add you into that count.

Betty

We usually "finalize" the plans at happy hour 4:15 the night before.

And then change them the next morning when it's raining!  ::)

ArdraF

Don't know but this is the second time it's gone out. We're now inverting and using our roof internet. Might be a good time to go out for a drive :)

Wendy

Betty Brewer said:
I think  we will be doing such runs all week pending weather.  Everything is penciled into sand as a plan .  We usually  " finalize" the plans at  happy hour 4:15 the  night before. 

A couple of groups are  researching  dinner/activities out,  so watch Forum for news to see if we add you into that count.

Betty

Thanks, will do.  Mike.

"Faint heart ne'er won fair maiden" - what rain?  :eek:

We went to Denny's for lunch and had multiple power outages - could not use a credit card and paid cash....thank the Universe that our breakfast was cooked before the outage.. ;)

Went to get gas and some yoyo did not watch his pump, dumped about 20 gallons under our car, and the fuel truck driver said we had to push our car off the island before starting... :mad:

Flashed our old geezer's card at Arches and shot 141 pictures in some of the best light ever!! Whoever said it takes an hour must have never stopped...we had three hours invested and it was worth every penny....we left a few pictures out there if someone wants to go back and get 'em....

I have never seen so many rented RV's except in a lot as were in Arches....

If we don't see another thing the whole time we are here, we truly enjoyed Arches (and missed some stuff, so will go back)...fabulous sights!!  8)

For those of you who want the ultimate in an RV lot, please enjoy the three story casitas here at Portal....

We are dwarfed at the base of the one you see here (not our original lot choice, either!) and will put up a several king size sheets tonight and show home movies...bring your own popcorn, please...

Obviously, different strokes for different folks....this is the view, though, that the owner has, at least from ground level...

Attachments

• DSC_0001 casita.jpg
    DSC_0001 casita.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0002 portal.jpg
    DSC_0002 portal.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 51
No offense to anyone who likes them, but those 3-story "casitas" are the ugliest things in Moab. If I paid $125,000 for the spot Kim is in and they built that monstrosity next to me, I would die.

OTOH, after the rain finished, up today, Mike and I had a soak in the hot tub and it was lovely. And the bathrooms are fantastic. Hmmm, I guess if anyone was actually living in the ugly casita, they could have watched us in the pool from their 2nd or 3rd story windows.

To each his own.
Wendy

What Wenday said.  Looks like a huge box, but uglier.  I wonder what they're like inside?
Margi

Looks like the Canyonlands by Night Dinner and Boat Cruise idea  had only 6 sign up so we don't qualify for a group rate, nor do we have to make any reservations to attend.  If you want to go to dinner only it is $20 and change  per person plus tip.  It can easily and quickly accomodate groups.

Friday night May 13 is the designated night for those of us going.  7 pm dinner and 8 pm cruise So you can still change your plans and join us when it warms up to 85 by the end of the week.

If my notes serve me I recall Ardra organized our happy hour comments into this schedule:

Tuesday as a hike  down Park Avenue in Arches.  Carpool to the place and get dropped off for an easy mile stroll in beautiful country leave at  9am
Wednesday Firey Furnace Hike Leave at  9 am  bring  lunch it is a moderate hike.
Thursday Delicate Arch Hike leave at  10 am  3 miles round trip.
Friday Sago drive suitable for  regular vehicles.  led by Mike and Wendy.
Friday Night Canyonlands by Night dinner at 7pm, Cruise at 8pm
Saturday Onion Creek Drive led by Ken and Sheila  4 wheel over some water .  Really fun

Other things can be added as the desire  arises. I may have this wrong so post and additions or corrections.

We just added a night to our spot.  Now our leave date is Friday AM.  For now the park is booked through the weekend.  If something opens for Friday and Saturday we'll grab it.  If not, Goose Island looks pretty nice.  We're going up Thursday and if we find a vacancy, we're grabbing it and reserving through Saturday.  I'll gladly pay the $6.00 geezer rate for thursday even though we wont be there.  Then, unless someone hi jacks the spot we'll be set for Fri and Sat.  If anyone knows of other spots, please give me a heads up. 

Betty, if a river ride is still a possibility and we get lucky count us in. 

Thanks.

Gary 

We're planning on hiking with the group Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  We have a big red truck driven by a young geezer.  My wife calls it Clifford.  The truck, not the geezer.  Not sure why.  Anyway, it has a large back seat and we can take three with us.  Anyone looking for a ride, let us know. 

Gary

Maybe - just maybe - we finally have our daily activities board set up in a way that won't blow away and that won't be erased by the rain.  ;D  It's now inside our motorhome door window and seems readable in low light.  Now to test it in bright sunlight!

Pending the weather gods whims, our events on TUESDAY, May 10th are:

9:00 a.m. - The difficult four-wheel drive with the Weimerts and Brewers.  You should have an appropriate very high-clearance vehicle and be experienced driving it.  Take water and a lunch.

10:00 a.m. - We'll try again to do the Park Avenue hike in Arches.  Sturdy shoes are needed and carry water.  Camera.  Bring lunch if you want to stay in the park after the hike (in that case you need to drive your own car).

4:15 p.m. - Happy Hour + crock pot discussion afterwards

Tentative activities for the rest of the week include:

Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. - Fiery Furnace hike in Arches with Ardra and Jerry.  Sturdy hiking boots or shoes.  Lunch, water, camera.

Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - Hike to Delicate Arch in Arches with Ardra and Jerry.  Sturdy hiking boots or shoes (good grip).  Lunch, water, camera.

Friday - Sego Canyon to ghost town.  County dirt road with 2WD, easy.  (Description in Utah Byways book, pages 74-75.)

Saturday - Onion Creek 4WD, medium difficulty.  (Description in Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, pages 179-181.)

Saturday - "Last supper" at Sunset Restaurant.  We made a tentative reservation for 35-40 people at 5:30 p.m.  (Sample menu in the Moab Menu Guide.)

Back
Top Bottom