RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took your suggestion, Carson, and this is what I learned:

"A locking differential is designed to overcome the chief limitation of a standard open differential by essentially "locking" both wheels on an axle together as if on a common shaft while still allowing them to rotate at different speeds when it is required."

Learning is one thing, really understanding is quite another.  ;D ;D

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
The two men in the photo with Terry look like Ron Ruward and Bernie Dobrin.  What are lockers?

Margi

By definition a differential allows one side (axle) to turn at a different rate than the other such as when negotiating a turn.  When traction is lost on one of the tires the normal route for the power is to continue to apply the power to that tire which has the least amount of traction.  Not a good situation for off-roading.

Lockers lock both axles (side to side) together and apply the same torque to both sides.  Lockers are of two types, manual and automatic. 

Automatic lockers are a differential which has either gears or clutches that allow the same amount of torque to be applied to both axles.  When negotiating a turn you can sometimes hear the tires "bark" on dry pavement because they are turning at the same speed.  Depending on vehicle weight some of these clutches will 'slip' and allow the vehicle to turn with little if any indication there is a locker in the axle.  Lighter vechicles, such as Jeeps, generally bark the tires pretty good when making a tight turn on dry pavement as the axles are turning at the same speed.

A manually locked differential is actuated by either air or electric both need an input from the driver, hence manual operation.

Hope I didn't add more confusion.  Mike.

Tom and Margi said:
  What are lockers?

Margi,

My simple answer would be ... a button in the jeep that Terry  pushes two times to keep our wheels from spinning on  steep terraine.  Mostly whenever we have to use them I get out and take photos as it is scary stuff.

Betty

Tom and Margi said:
The two men in the photo with Terry look like Ron Ruward and Bernie Dobrin. 

I don't think that is Terry in the photo.  That person is not quite  as tall as Terry and he is wearing  socks. 

Betty Brewer said:
My simple answer would be ... a button in the jeep that Terry  pushes two times to keep our wheels from spinning on  steep terraine.  Mostly whenever we have to use them I get out and take photos as it is scary stuff.

Now, you're speaking my language!  ;D ;D  I appreciate zmotorsports explanation, too.

Margi

Betty Brewer said:
I don't think that is Terry in the photo.  That person is not quite  as tall as Terry and he is wearing  socks.

Now that I look again, you're right.  (Well, of course you're right!  ;D )

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
The two men in the photo with Terry look like Ron Ruward and Bernie Dobrin.  What are lockers?

Margi

Don't know who the person with his back to us is, but Ron Ruward is wearing the white hat and I am wearing the orange RV Forum hat.

Does the name Peter Cashmore ring a bell?  He was the spotter for me driving down the ledges, not Terry.  Collette Cashmore is in a couple of other ones.  In the ring of cars, theirs was the truck.  I've been trying to zoom in on some of the other photos from that ride and am having trouble identifying people.  Russ was in one standing next to his new white Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Who had a yellow Jeep Wrangler?  We also had the white Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Ruward's tan Jeep Grand Cherokee is near the yellow Jeep Wrangler.  By the way, I don't see Terry or his car in any of them so I don't believe he was with us.

ArdraF

And I couldn't find either Jim or Tarry in any of the photos for 2001 Moab.

ArdraF

RLSharp said:
Could that have been Jim and Tarry Johnson?

Definitely not the Johnson's yellow truck.  The white pickup sure looks like ours, but we didn't have it in 2001, it's a 2007 :)

Ardra,

I believe the yellow jeep was Ron Maribito. He rented it that year. The white truck might have been Pete Harpin. Our Grand Vitara is in front on the right. Sure do miss that car!

Jim Dick said:
Ardra,

I believe the yellow jeep was Ron Maribito. He rented it that year. The white truck might have been Pete Harpin. Our Grand Vitara is in front on the right. Sure do miss that car!

I think you're correct, Jim.  Pete had many different vehicles over the years, and one of them was a white pickup.

Margi

Hmmm.  I had thought the white truck was the Cashmores because they had a trailer and most of the rest of us had motorhomes then.  Remember they had an anemic truck for the size of the fifth wheel and upgraded it fairly quickly after their first trip south.  It was underpowered and he had trouble making it over mountains.  But in zooming in I see a man at the driver's door and he has on what might be a white baseball cap.  One of the people in another photo has on the same cap (maybe yellow) and it does look like Pete Harpin.  Who would the Cashmores have been driving with, I wonder?  In another photo there's a man with white hair that I can't quite identify by profile.  I had forgotten about Maribitos renting the Jeep.

So in the parking circle photo, our white Jeep GC is facing outward at the far left, below it and also facing out is Ruwards tan Jeep GC, in between facing right would be Marabito's yellow rental Jeep Wrangler, then the white truck that would probably be Harpin, then Dobrin's yellow Xterra, then Mahoney's white Jeep GC, and finally someone's white 4WD with lawn chairs on the roof rack.  Whose would the last one be?  It doesn't look like a Jeep and it doesn't seem likely it would have been Cashmores.

ArdraF

Ardra,

The Cashmores rode with us on that trip. I remember it because we made it back up the rock waterfall without having to stop and Colette commented on it. ;D

Thanks, Jim.  So we have all but the last car identified.  Maybe it's the man with the white hair.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Just d/l the photo and zoomed in. It broke up fairly quickly but the pickup appears to be a four door. I think Pete only had the two door extended cab. Can't remember who might have had that four door. Now we still have two mysterious vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom