RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are in Moab right now, been here since Monday and leaving next Monday.  Staying at the OK RV Park out by the golf course.  Nice place and pretty quiet.  HTrails Jeep Group is having a Jeep thing.  Did the Dome trail, LaSal Pass trail, some did steelbender, fins and things... time for a day of bicycling or golf or hikin'.  Then we stop in Farmington for a few days, then home again.  New to us Jeep is doing just fine for newbees.  I don't think we can make it next spring but will keep it on the agenda.

Are you going to the FMCA rally in Farmington? I think I see a Forum Happy Hour happening !

Wendy

Wendy said:
Are you going to the FMCA rally in Farmington? I think I see a Forum Happy Hour happening !
Wendy

Yes, sounds great!  We plan to get there sometime after noon next Tuesday. G&C.

Wendy,

It's been too long! Really looking forward to seeing all our friends at Moab again.

Betty,

Sorry but I took the pipes off the coach before we left. Needed room for other stuff. :) We'll still have a great time. We are both looking forward to it. Got our confirmation and the site is supposed to be Premium 21 but it also said they could not guarantee it. We'll just have to wait until we get there to find out for sure. Pat said the person on the phone didn't sound like she knew what was happening.

Not sure how we will make out off roading. Never have had this truck in four wheel drive so don't know how it will perform. Really miss my Suzuki GV!!!!!

ATTENDEES LIST - RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

Brewer (Betty & Terry), site
Bullock (Phil & Doris?), site M-22
Dick (Pat & Jim), site M-21
FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13
Kuch (Ken & Sheila), site M-19
Lawrence (Wendy & Mike), site R-46
Mahoney (Russ), site 5
Nesbitt (Mary Ann & Don), site M-30
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site R-54
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site M-14

ArdraF

Bullock (Phil & Doris?), site M-16
Down (Ray & Liza), site M-20
Kuch (Ken & Sheila), site M-19
Mahoney (Russ), site 5

ArdraF

Jim and Pat - So happy to hear you'll be out here again!

Ray and Liza - Sorry about that.  Glad you'll be joining us!

ArdraF

I was reading the posts about people taking sedans & a Subaru on the desert trails.  Could a Honda CRV with AWD do OK on these trails?  It has pretty good ground clearance but no skid plates or low range.  I'm just curious.  I'm not going to Moab.  Thanks.

Mike

Mike:

Ours has made the trail without problems. Forgotten the name but there is one that has a 12' ledge that it probably could not manage.

Bill,

It's good to see you joining us.  I'll add you to the list.

As to the four wheeling trails, it really depends on the road as to what will work where, and it varies from year-to-year.  For example, years ago our very first four-wheeling experience was going up Pucker Pass (aka Long Canyon).  It was easy and over the years we've seen a lot of cars doing it.  When we were there last year (year before??) we couldn't go up.  They had a hard winter and there was one place near the top that had deep sand on the downhill side and huge boulders on the uphill side.  Our friend in a Hummer made it, but he was skidding all over the place.  We weren't willing to risk damaging our MDX that does not have a skid plate.  We stick to the easier trails with this car because it's an inch or two lower than our previous Grand Cherokee and the lack of skid plates makes us really careful.

ArdraF

Bullock (Phil & Doris?), site M-16
Down (Liza & Ray), site M-20
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-19
Mahoney (Russ), site 5
Photog (Corinne & Bill), site M-32

ArdraF

Ardra & Jeff,

Thanks for the replies.  If I'm fortunate enough to get to a place like Moab or QZ in the next few years I'd like to be able to do the trails & I'm not ready to get another toad.

Mike

We have not been to Moab and want to book our spot, but are curious about the main difference between the M- sites and the R- sites, other than pull in or back in.

Any advice? We are not satellite enabled so that is not an issue.

We do need our cell data services, either Verizon or AT&T, unless the wifi is extremely solid.

Thanks for any information you can share!

Hi Kim and Christi,

Happy New Year!  Moab is such a neat place and not to be missed.

The Portal RV Park has been there for many years.  During our early RV Forum rallies we had the "old" section only, e.g., the part on the north side of the property.  The south side was a huge open grassy area which also had some camping cabins.  New owners came along and decided they wanted to turn it into an ownership park with site rentals available.  To do this, they started with the south end.  They removed the cabins and turned the grassy area into the new "M" and "R" section.  These sites have been or will be bought by people who want to own a RV lot in Moab.  There's really no difference between the M and R lots except for their east-west numbering.  The new section has cement pads which is nice if it rains and gets muddy.  If you reserve a site in the new section you have access to the swimming pool area and a view of the koi pond.  The old section has restrooms and ponds but no access to the pool.  Of course, every year they make changes as they proceed toward their eventual goal of full lot ownership.  Meanwhile, the poor economy and zoning hassles have made progress go much slower than anticipated.  Portal has improved their wifi and last year you could get access throughout the park.  We have Verizon.

The old section has gravel sites with small trees.  The reason Forumites like Portal is not only its scenic location, but also because it doesn't have big trees to block satellite access.  Most of the other RV parks in Moab have lots of trees and this group is very satellite-oriented so Portal has been our campground of choice.

We hope you'll be able to join us in Moab.  We never run out of things to do there so you shouldn't be bored!

ArdraF

A few of us National RV owners over on iRV2 had a rally last year and are trying to put another together fir 2011. I sugested we piggyback with your rally if you don't mind. Last year we had four rigs attend and are having a tough time getting things settled as far as time and location this year. To me at least joining this rally seems like a good move. I just don't know if others need to be members of this board to join in or can we just crash, with your permission. Our rally last year was at Navajo Dam in New Mexico and a lot of National Sepecific info was exchanged. If we would be an intrusion just let me know and I'll put a halt to it, but if we could somehow work it out I think it would be great.
Here is a link to some of the discussions we've had over on iRV2.com

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2011-national-rv-orphan-rally-location-poll-74242.html

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom