RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy, the last time we were in MOAB we lived in California and flew my aircraft into the old Canyon Lands air strip when it was red dirt. We popped out our motorcycles and rode all over for two days, probably around 87- 88. I'm looking farward to as much fun 23 years later.>>>Dan

I just looked thru an album of that time and found we were in the area of "Devils Kitchen", many jeep trails and very steep terrain.>>>D

taoshum said:
  We have been trying to schedule some important landscaping work at our home in NM and as luck would have it, the current schedule conflicts with our planned trip to Moab. If someone wants this space, you might call the Portal RV Park in Moab and see if you can get it.

Gary and Coleen,

Oh poop, just tell your landscapers YOUR schedule and have them  work around you.  You know  you will enjoy Framily and this  rally. You have a Jeep, Just go for it!

Betty

This said from someone who has recently had lots of landscaping done.

Betty Brewer said:
Oh poop, just tell your landscapers YOUR schedule and have them  work around you.  You know  you will enjoy Framily and this  rally. You have a Jeep, Just go for it!

This said from someone who has recently had lots of landscaping done.

Betty can be persuasive with that salty language - Christi and I were looking forward to seeing you and Colleen again at Moab!!!

After 4 quotes and many design iterations if we called and told this crew to reschedule I think it would be like the passport office... you can call and ask about your application and they will tell you where your application "was" in the que before it went to the bottom again... LOL

Actually what I fear the most is that the contractor will call, about May 2, and say he needs more time on the current job... like about two weeks  :(, and we will end up with the worst of both possibilities.  No trip and a late start on the job.  As of yesterday, he told us again that he will be here as scheduled.  If so, we have to be here even though I just finished installing a 3" lift kit on the Jeep. :p

If the contractor does call and postpone, you can always jump in the motorhome and head to Moab. Seems like there's always a cancellation or two. :)

Wendy

WOW, it is almost time for Moab.  I have been working so much lately I haven't had time to think about it, however, after getting on this site today and reading through the Moab Rally thread again I am getting excited to meet all of you.  It just hit me today that it is only a couple of weeks away.  Mike.

Wendy said:
If the contractor does call and postpone, you can always jump in the motorhome and head to Moab. Seems like there's always a cancellation or two. :)

Wendy

It's a possibility,  :p although it just snowed about 6-10" on top of the pass between here and Durango and with the wind blasting 40-50 knots.  And I thought winter was over... can't be sure until Memorial Day anymore. 8)

taoshum said:
it just snowed about 6-10" on top of the pass between here and Durango and with the wind blasting 40-50 knots. 

We are enroute Moab from Carlsbad via Santa Fe - won't we be surprised in the morning when roll in to Santa Fe from the south and see snow on the peaks!

Gary and Coleen,

It looks like you haven't actually cancelled yet with Portal, so I won't remove your name from the list until it's firm cancellation.  Meanwhile, if anyone wants site R-47 it's up for grabs.  Let me know here about any changes.

ArdraF

The wind is blowing like crazy here in Cortez, too, and we even had some snow flurries today. Hopefully, this is winter's last hurrah and the weather will be beautiful for the Moab rally.

Wendy

Wendy, that's what you get for taking a shot at us about the weather.  FWIW, we are still in St Petes, record or near record temps for the past 2 weeks or more.  Sorry you are still encountering that unfortunate four letter word (beginning with S). 
  We really were looking forward to joining the Moab rally, so we decided to put the coach in storage here in Florida until next year, when we hope that we will be able to go west next spring.  We will drive the Jeep home, we figure it will save us about $1,000 on fuel each way, less the storage.  With what is on this summer, we would only have been able to use it for brief periods anyway.
  Enjoy Moab, enjoy the framily, wish we were there too.

Ed & Donna

Well, the "S..." went away but the low last night was 22 degrees. Good thing I didn't plant my lettuce yet. Predictions are for good weather for Moab...but what do the weathermen know? Of course, since you won't be there the weather should be spectacular :)

We'll miss you guys in Moab but perhaps next winter? If you don't get snowed in in Canada :)

Wendy

ArdraF said:
Well, Al, I'd take you off the list but can't since you weren't on it anyway!  ;) ;D  Have fun with your alternate plan!

ArdraF

Hi Ardra,

It is with sadness I must tell you we have to cancel our reservations at Moab. Due to unforeseen problems with the coach we won't be able to make it in time and couldn't stay to the end anyway.

We sure were looking forward to more trips off road! It has already cost more to fix the problems than it would have for the rally. I discovered, about 90 miles from home in St. Augustine, that one of my rear tires was starting to come apart. Took two days and over $700 to have it replaced. Now I have a problem with the source manager. The inverter is drawing 53 amps with nothing turned on but a couple of standby electronics. Tried to make a pot of coffee to see what would happen and the draw went over 145 amps. Usually it's around 80-100 amps! Hoping to try to get some help on our way to Yellowstone. If not, we'll be without the inverter until we get back home.

Hope some of you will travel to Yellowstone this year so we can at least visit a little. We are in site M-21. I'll wait a few days to see if anyone might want to take that spot.

The inverter is drawing 53 amps with nothing turned on but a couple of standby electronics.

Jim

I've noticed the same thing on my inverter. Playing with the breaker switches, we found that the refrigerator on AC accounted for nearly all of the high draw. Keeping it on propane when not plugged in dropped the draw down to a couple of AHs.

Hi Jim and Pat,

Well, that's a revolting development!  Hope it all gets fixed soon.  We'll miss you at the rally.  Please post here when you cancel your reservation and I'll remove your name from the attendees list when it's a firm cancellation.

Gary F. (Taoshum) is having a problem with his cancellation for the week before our rally.  Seems they got signed into that week as part of the FMCA Jeep rally and now he's on the hook for that week's "group" reservation.  So pleased we went the "individual" route.  Moral of the story is, don't wait too long to cancel!

So, everyone, that means site R-47 is available for the week before we arrive (I think May 1-7).  If you would like to arrive earlier, Gary would love for you to take over his site!  Also, site M-21 is available for our rally week.  If you want to change to one of them, now is the time to do it.

Has anyone else signed up who is not on the attendees list?  Please let me know here if you are planning to attend and are not on the list.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Hi Jim and Pat,

Well, that's a revolting development!  Hope it all gets fixed soon.  We'll miss you at the rally.  Please post here when you cancel your reservation and I'll remove your name from the attendees list when it's a firm cancellation.

Gary F. (Taoshum) is having a problem with his cancellation for the week before our rally.  Seems they got signed into that week as part of the FMCA Jeep rally and now he's on the hook for that week's "group" reservation.  Moral of the story is, don't wait too long to cancel!

So, everyone, that means site R-47 is available for the week before we arrive (I think May 1-7).  If you would like to arrive earlier, Gary would love for you to take over his site!  Also, site M-21 is available for our rally week.  If you want to change to one of them, now is the time to do it.

Has anyone else signed up who is not on the attendees list?  Please let me know here if you are planning to attend.

ArdraF

Yes, Houston, we have a problem with Portal RV Park.  When we called 'em months and months ago, we ask 3 times about the cancellation policy and were told 48 hours; then when we called last week they said we were cancelled; then Sunday they called and started saying we were part of the FMCA 4WD Chapter Rally... although we are NOT members of the FMCA 4WD Chapter.  So we called again today after Ardra noticed that we are still on the list as having reservations and now they are getting really nasty about it.  Coleen's BP immediately went up and she's trying to get into a doc to see what to do. 

So, yes, if you know anyone who wants to go to Moab, in early May, there might be a space available at Portal.  I sent an email to the FMCA rally leader asking him to confirm to Portal that we are NOT members and to ask if he knows anyone from FMCA that might want the spot.

Needless to say, we are not happy with Portal... to put it mildly. 

Nevertheless, we sincerely hope that everyone has a great trip/rally.

thanks, Gary.

Jim,

A - We will miss you at Portal

B - We plan to see you guys along with Bill and Jolene in Yellowstone.

C - Bernie might be right about the refer. On our Windsor we always had to remember to go to LP if we were boondocking and using the inverter. It had only one plug for the frig and the ice maker and it was wired through the inverter. The Camelot had (past tense) two plugs. The Ice maker was on an inverter circuit and the frig was wired direct to the main panel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom