EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011  (Read 115236 times)

ArdraF

• ---
Re: RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
ATTENDEES LIST - RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

Berry (Marilee & Dick aka TheBerrys), site M-29  ARRIVED
Bertram (Christi & Kim aka Skyking), site M-20  ARRIVED
Brewer (Betty & Terry), site 4  ARRIVED
Brucker (Maria & Gary), site 19  ARRIVED
Bullock (Phil & Doris), site M-16  ARRIVED
FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13  ARRIVED
Hyman (Molly & Stan), site M-23  ARRIVED (friends of Roscoes)
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-17  ARRIVED
Lawrence (Wendy & Mike), site R-46  ARRIVED
Mahoney (Russ), site 5  ARRIVED
Nesbitt (Mary Ann & Don aka GMSboss), site M-30  ARRIVED
Pennings (Mimi & Chris), site R-57  ARRIVED
Roscoe (Corinne & Bill aka Photog), site M-32  ARRIVED
Schneider (Lou), site 22  ARRIVED
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site R-54  ARRIVED
Wagner (Judy & Mike aka Ceemike), site R-55  ARRIVED
Wainwright (Jeannine & Dan), site 18  ARRIVED
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site M-14  ARRIVED
West (Marge & Dan aka Utahclaimjumper), site 25  ARRIVED
Zuech (Chrystal & Mike aka ZMotorsports & Jared), site M-31  ARRIVED

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:17:22 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
ATTENDEES LIST BY SITE NUMBER - RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

Brewer (Betty & Terry), site 4  ARRIVED
Mahoney (Russ), site 5  ARRIVED
Wainwright (Jeannine & Dan), site 18  ARRIVED
Brucker (Maria & Gary), site 19  ARRIVED
Schneider (Lou), site 22  ARRIVED
West (Marge & Dan aka Utahclaimjumper), site 25  ARRIVED

FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13  ARRIVED
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site M-14  ARRIVED
Bullock (Phil & Doris), site M-16  ARRIVED
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-17  ARRIVED
Bertram (Christi & Kim aka Skyking), site M-20  ARRIVED
Hyman (Molly & Stan), site M-23  ARRIVED (friends of Roscoes)
Berry (Marilee & Dick), site M-29  ARRIVED
Nesbitt (Mary Ann & Don), site M-30  ARRIVED
Zuech (Chrystal & Mike aka ZMotorsports & Jared), site M-31  ARRIVED
Roscoe (Corinne & Bill aka Photog), site M-32  ARRIVED

Lawrence (Wendy & Mike), site R-46  ARRIVED
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site R-54  ARRIVED
Wagner (Judy & Mike aka Ceemike), site R-55  ARRIVED
Pennings (Mimi & Chris), site R-57  ARRIVED
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:18:11 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
Everyone we expected to attend has now arrived.  We have 20 RVs with a total of 39 people.  The Nesbitts have to leave tomorrow and may be heading into snow up toward Yellowstone.  Today was gorgeous and sunny so we're hopeful they'll have a good trip north.  The Bruckers also will leave tomorrow.

Today's hike to Delicate Arch was great with twelve people.  Three cheers for Judy Wagner who conquered her fear of heights and not only went all the way out the trail but also right down to the arch to have her picture taken under it.

The people who went four wheeling to Spring Canyon apparently had quite a day, especially because the Green River was higher than they expected.  But I'll let them tell you about their adventure.

Tonight's happy hour ended with a hamburger dinner with cole slaw and potato salad provided by Doug of the Portal RV Park.  Sheila added her home made carrot cake for dessert and someone brought a broccoli salad.  All in all, a yummy dinner.  Doug of Portal also surprised us with a raffle in which prizes included hats, tow straps, and two people got stays at Portal in 2012.  Thanks to Doug for a delightful surprise.

We hikers are a bit weary after two strenuous days so we're going to rest a bit tomorrow while the four-wheelers go on the Top of The World trail (difficult) and to Sego Canyon and ghost town (easy).  Tomorrow night is the Canyonlands by Night dinner and cruise on the Colorado River.

ArdraF
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:18:58 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #333 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
Today's weather was beautiful and so was the evening activity.  We were happy to meet the long awaited Mike and Chrystal and their college son, Jarrod.
We also saw Corrine for the first time.  Seems she is still burdened with the world of work,   but had the evening off to join us.  Stan showed up to join the fun this evening too.  Bill brought some very nice samples of fine red wine for those of us who embibe to sample.  Yum

And now the AWARDS......Ta Duh.....

Mike was nominated twice for the Care Bear award, 1. For helping a stranded foreign tourist start his car this morning.   2. He also closed the front door on  Randy and Debbie's rig this morning.  Seems they left on the 4 wheel trip and left their front door ..WIDE OPEN.  RVForum Framily sticks together. 

The Goofy plunger award went to Terry B who  left his gloves on the fender after airing down and drove off.  Chris picked them up but embellished the award with a fresh supply of rubber gloves and a touch of poop. ( Paper towel with bad looking stuff on it)

Barb left  this award open for nominations so I suggested  Happy Chicken go to Randy.  I  was taking what I hoped would be an artsy shot of jeep tops while we were parked for lunch.  When  I looked into the view finder  to preview my shot I saw Randy facing a bush doing his business. Fortunately I do not have a telephoto lens.  I figured when I  shared this photo everyone would have a laugh.  Be careful where you point your camera during a lunch break. 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #334 on: May 12, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Here are a few pics of the Spring Canyon trail ride.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #335 on: May 12, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
 Doug, owner of Portal RV Resort provided a wonderful hamburger feed tonight.  In addition he  gave each of us an orange ticket and held a raffle.  Don't we all love prizes?

Hats, tow straps, Big Rig Books and  3 free nights for a 2012 stay  were among the prizes.  See happy winners in my photos.  What a generous way to end the evening!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

ceemike

• ---
« Reply #336 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »

Mike was nominated twice for the Care Bear award, 1. For helping a stranded foreign tourist start his car this morning.

Mike L. deserves a mention for figuring out we had to turn on the switch.   ;D :P
Mike Wagner
Mike & Judy Wagner
From the Keystone State
FMCA F418448
WIT # W161150
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V, W20 Chassis
2004 Honda CRV

ceemike

• ---
« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
Dominos delivers to Delicate Arch (but not in 30 minutes so Mike got it free).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:43:46 PM by ceemike »
Mike & Judy Wagner
From the Keystone State
FMCA F418448
WIT # W161150
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V, W20 Chassis
2004 Honda CRV

AZ Randy1

• ---
« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »
Fortunately, when Betty took the photo, I was facing (and peeing) toward the bush. Had I been facing away from the bush and toward the camera, it would have been obvious that there was no need for a telephoto lens. And then, I might have been embarrassed or, more likely, proud. Although I'm not sure which!!

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
Fortunately, when Betty took the photo, I was facing (and peeing) toward the bush. Had I been facing away from the bush and toward the camera, it would have been obvious that there was no need for a telephoto lens. And then, I might have been embarrassed or, more likely, proud. Although I'm not sure which!!
Yeh, yeh.  More likely a different twist on your eyes being bigger than your "stomach".
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
One of today's options was Wendy's Wild West Show at lunch at the ghost town...BTW, the middle cowboy couldn't have been 7 years old...good times!!

Something fun always happens when you follow a bright yellow VW bug somewhere down a dirt road...
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Wanderlust RV Park, Eureka Springs, AR

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:32 PM »
Tomorrow's ride is 90 to 100 miles depending on how we come back. We will be traveling to over 8600 feet. Should be OK for snow. Today we drove another road up in the La Sal's and didn't hit snow until over 9000 feet. Bring a jacket as it will be cooler. There is rain (30%) in the for tomorrow afternoon - I'll check the forecast in the morning.

Line up behind Terry's coach.

Ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
Today was the end of our part in the Moab Rally -- we left for Salt Lake City about 8:30 or so and were safely in our campsite at Pony Express in North Salt Lake about 3:00 PM.

To whoever asked me last night about Rt 6 from I-70 to I-15, sorry about my lack of memory.  I now "remember"  that Rt 6 is an excellent road, mostly 4 lane, with only one fairly short construction zone and no serious up or downhill grades.

If you need fuel, the stations in Wellington/Price are selling diesel for $4.17, about 8 cents a gallon less than in Green River.

A big thanks to Ardra for all the time and effort she put into organizing our get together -- and to Jerry for his support and organizing the hikes.  Well done.

Thanks also to Terry for leading the off road adventures!

Also our thanks to all the other new and old friends who made this rally so much fun.  We are missing you already!

Safe Travels!

Don and Mary Ann

Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2011, 12:04:01 AM »
Sorry I  missed Awards tonight.  Nine of us  that did the 4 Wheel Drive " Top of the World " Trail today which was marked  Moderate in the  2000 Edition of our tour trail book took  9 hours to do a trip the book said would take 3 -4 hours.  The New edition of the  Moab Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails  lists this trail as a Difficult  rating and rightly so.  It was very challenging, rocky  technical slow  and beautiful.  I saw every color and size of desert wildflower. I saw big fat healthy lizards. I  saw the most impressive beautiful view I've ever seen of  the La Salle Mountains and all 360 degrees of Moab Valley.  It was simply breath taking .  We  ended up on a ledge close to  7000 feet.   We were all very happy to have Mike, Crystal and Jared with us on the trail and that young college student got a workout scouting trails, spotting turns and gathering rocks to build passable roads.

Thank you to Frank for being a fearless leader, thank you to Lou for being persistent and careful while gunning it to get up over  those stair step  rocks. Thank yo uto Dan for being a colorful spotter with  interesting directions and for not ever getting run over.

Thanks to my driver for an exciting ride and good driving.  Ground clearance is a very good thing to have  and our little Rubicon with 34 inch tires did well. It acted just like a Billy Goat on the trails.  So much fun.  So sorry to have no award reports as we got back home at 6:30 and had to be at the Canyonlands Dinner and Boat Cruise at 6:45.

Rallies are enough to exhaust anyone! Stay tuned.  I gotta go  boil eggs for egg salad sandwiches for yet another ride tomorrow.
Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2011, 02:24:49 AM »
Here are some pics from the Top of the World Trail.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:28 AM »
Hi everyone.  We arrived safely at Wasatch Mountain State Park in spite of our GPS.  A bit tired and ready for a long nights rest.  Maria and I had a wonderful time at Moab and are looking forward to future Rallies.  Made a bunch of new friends and got to know a few of our Quartzsite friends a bit better.  A special thanks to Ardra and Jerry F for their organizing and leadership efforts.  We will never forget the Fiery Furnace and the clear and concise directions as given by Jerry and edited by Ardra.  Thanks also to Betty B and Wendy L who always have a smile on their face and the warmest of hearts.  Have a great day and last supper.  We'll be there in spirit.  Until we meet again.

Gary and Maria.     
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Don & MaryAnne, when are you due in West Yell?
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
Driving in from SLC tomorrow (Sunday).  Start work Wednesday.
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
Driving in from SLC tomorrow (Sunday).  Start work Wednesday.

Work?

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Here's Dan Wainwright enjoying his lunch On Top of The World (during the 4WD ride yesterday).

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #350 on: May 14, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
Happy Hour tonight ?
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
No Happy Hour tonight.  The tenters have moved all their food stuffs into the pavillion so we'll let them have it tonight.

We'll meet up at the Sunset Grille at or before 5:30.  What little bit of meeting we have can be done there.  Bring your awards so they can be presented.

Moab 2012 is already being planned and at least four of us have signed up.  I'll be putting a new thread on the forum once I've checked a few things.  As we did this year, it's all individual reservations and please let us know in the new thread when you reserve a site.  I'll try to get it done tonight.

ArdraF
ArdraF

MikeCoke

• ---
    • Mike and Wendy's RV Travels
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
We had a great hike to Delicate Arch on Thursday. It was the first time Wendy & I had made the hike there after many many visits to Arches NP.
Below are some of the Pics I got during the Hike.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:06:03 PM by MikeCoke »
Mike, Wendy & Gordon our Yellow Lab
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter & Generator and soon to have Solar Panels
Toad 1973 Yellow VW Beetle
Retired NPS Ranger

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
Congratulations to Mike (Coke) Lawrence for getting a VW through on Onion Creek road.
Good Work!

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #354 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Such a wonderful farewell dinner at Sunset Grill.  Too bad we missed those who left early or who had other issues and were not able to attend.  I am always so sad on  the days ends of a rally but I must admit how  fatigued I am from this rally.  When do I get a day off?  This is  like working but then we got week ends.  :)

Fond good byes to all .  We will be here a couple of  days to rest and shop at Hogans  but will be  back next year.  I did get awards photos which I will post when I  am good and ready.  I just love our rallies and our Rvforum Framily.

Betty
Betty Brewer

see where we are

MikeCoke

• ---
    • Mike and Wendy's RV Travels
« Reply #355 on: May 14, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
Thanks Ken. We had to show folks that Sunshine the VW could make it, just like Herbie did.
Pic of Sunshine at the start of the Onion Creek run.

Mike

Congratulations to Mike (Coke) Lawrence for getting a VW through on Onion Creek road.
Good Work!

ken
Mike, Wendy & Gordon our Yellow Lab
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA with Inverter & Generator and soon to have Solar Panels
Toad 1973 Yellow VW Beetle
Retired NPS Ranger

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #356 on: May 14, 2011, 10:54:57 PM »
Final Awards at Moab 2011 RVForum Rally  were presented tonight at our final dinner at  Sunset Grill.  Since I missed awards presentation last night I  am combining  the giver and  getter ( aka reciver awards) from last night to tonight.

Care Bear was earned last night by Wendy for taking the group on the  Sego Drive to see the Petroglyphs  with the highlight being nearly missing a cow crossing the road.  We know Wendy does not eat meat but the diligence in rounding up this cow was worthy of an award. ...   and this Care Bear Ward was passed on tonight to Sheila who took on a group of bicyclists today on our route.  They were wet, cold, thirsty and  she rallied our 4 wheel drive group,  to give them water, trail mix, gps directions,  panchos and the wind breaker off her back.  We were all happy to  help out our fellow  recreational enthusiatists.

Goofy Plunger was held by Terry for losing his gloves but he passed it on tonight to Lou S. who  claimed he coud not do the  run called "Fins and Things" so  so changed run to the Top of the World,  a moderate rating that  turned out to be a difficult run.  He has a stock Bronco with street tires, no lockers, no lift and he did great  .  But Terry did offer him a coupon for a Jeep rental fo nex t time.

Final Happy Chicken Award   went to tall Jared for his  help on the Top of the World 4 wheel ,  run building roads, spotting us and  being an over all good kid who brought down our average age by a good deal. He is 19 and a fine example of the youth of America.  He is  going into second year of college and we  support his payments  into Social Security.  er uh his help with our Forum  group.  We sure hope he comes back to another RVForum rally with his family. 

I  noted  how happy I was to have so many new comers to our rally. The proof of how welcomed all of you felt will be whether or not you return.   Please do.

I want to thank Bill  R for his fine taste in wine as he shared  his favorite bottles with the  group.  I liked the Chardonnay the best. Thank you Bill and Corrine.

Happy Trails to all.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #357 on: May 14, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »
How'd you get Ardra's head up as high as Jared? He's 6'4 and she's not.

Great rally. Looking forward to the next one here or in Quartzsite or somewhere else along the road where someone sticks a pin in the map and says "here we are, come join us."

Wendy

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #358 on: May 14, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »

She jumped and he bent his knees.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #359 on: May 14, 2011, 11:40:41 PM »
She jumped and he bent his knees.

No joke!  Jared was bending his knees and I was on tippy-toe so Betty could get both of us in the picture.

Thanks to everyone who attended and participated.  We're already working on next year's Moab rally and hope to make improvements.  Suggestions are welcome.  Like Betty, I hate to say goodbye when our rallies end.  We always enjoy our wonderful old friends and love making great new friends as well.  C'mon back in 2012!

ArdraF
ArdraF

Hosted by Over The Network