RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of today's options was Wendy's Wild West Show at lunch at the ghost town...BTW, the middle cowboy couldn't have been 7 years old...good times!!

Something fun always happens when you follow a bright yellow VW bug somewhere down a dirt road...

Attachments

• DSC_0040 roundup forum.jpg
    DSC_0040 roundup forum.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 51
Tomorrow's ride is 90 to 100 miles depending on how we come back. We will be traveling to over 8600 feet. Should be OK for snow. Today we drove another road up in the La Sal's and didn't hit snow until over 9000 feet. Bring a jacket as it will be cooler. There is rain (30%) in the for tomorrow afternoon - I'll check the forecast in the morning.

Line up behind Terry's coach.

Ken

Today was the end of our part in the Moab Rally -- we left for Salt Lake City about 8:30 or so and were safely in our campsite at Pony Express in North Salt Lake about 3:00 PM.

To whoever asked me last night about Rt 6 from I-70 to I-15, sorry about my lack of memory.  I now "remember"  that Rt 6 is an excellent road, mostly 4 lane, with only one fairly short construction zone and no serious up or downhill grades.

If you need fuel, the stations in Wellington/Price are selling diesel for $4.17, about 8 cents a gallon less than in Green River.

A big thanks to Ardra for all the time and effort she put into organizing our get together -- and to Jerry for his support and organizing the hikes.  Well done.

Thanks also to Terry for leading the off road adventures!

Also our thanks to all the other new and old friends who made this rally so much fun.  We are missing you already!

Safe Travels!

Don and Mary Ann

Sorry I  missed Awards tonight.  Nine of us  that did the 4 Wheel Drive " Top of the World " Trail today which was marked  Moderate in the  2000 Edition of our tour trail book took  9 hours to do a trip the book said would take 3 -4 hours.  The New edition of the  Moab Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails  lists this trail as a Difficult  rating and rightly so.  It was very challenging, rocky  technical slow  and beautiful.  I saw every color and size of desert wildflower. I saw big fat healthy lizards. I  saw the most impressive beautiful view I've ever seen of  the La Salle Mountains and all 360 degrees of Moab Valley.  It was simply breath taking .  We  ended up on a ledge close to  7000 feet.  We were all very happy to have Mike, Crystal and Jared with us on the trail and that young college student got a workout scouting trails, spotting turns and gathering rocks to build passable roads.

Thank you to Frank for being a fearless leader, thank you to Lou for being persistent and careful while gunning it to get up over  those stair step  rocks. Thank yo uto Dan for being a colorful spotter with  interesting directions and for not ever getting run over.

Thanks to my driver for an exciting ride and good driving.  Ground clearance is a very good thing to have  and our little Rubicon with 34 inch tires did well. It acted just like a Billy Goat on the trails.  So much fun.  So sorry to have no award reports as we got back home at 6:30 and had to be at the Canyonlands Dinner and Boat Cruise at 6:45.

Rallies are enough to exhaust anyone! Stay tuned.  I gotta go  boil eggs for egg salad sandwiches for yet another ride tomorrow.
Betty

Here are some pics from the Top of the World Trail.

Attachments

• Top of the World Trail-5.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-5.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Top of the World Trail-6.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-6.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Top of the World Trail-7.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-7.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Top of the World Trail-8.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-8.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Top of the World Trail-9.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-9.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Top of the World Trail-10.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-10.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Top of the World Trail-12.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-12.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 30
  • Top of the World Trail-13.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-13.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Top of the World Trail-17.JPG
    Top of the World Trail-17.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi everyone.  We arrived safely at Wasatch Mountain State Park in spite of our GPS.  A bit tired and ready for a long nights rest.  Maria and I had a wonderful time at Moab and are looking forward to future Rallies.  Made a bunch of new friends and got to know a few of our Quartzsite friends a bit better.  A special thanks to Ardra and Jerry F for their organizing and leadership efforts.  We will never forget the Fiery Furnace and the clear and concise directions as given by Jerry and edited by Ardra.  Thanks also to Betty B and Wendy L who always have a smile on their face and the warmest of hearts.  Have a great day and last supper.  We'll be there in spirit.  Until we meet again.

Gary and Maria.   

Here's Dan Wainwright enjoying his lunch On Top of The World (during the 4WD ride yesterday).

Attachments

• danlunch.jpg
    danlunch.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 47
No Happy Hour tonight.  The tenters have moved all their food stuffs into the pavillion so we'll let them have it tonight.

We'll meet up at the Sunset Grille at or before 5:30.  What little bit of meeting we have can be done there.  Bring your awards so they can be presented.

Moab 2012 is already being planned and at least four of us have signed up.  I'll be putting a new thread on the forum once I've checked a few things.  As we did this year, it's all individual reservations and please let us know in the new thread when you reserve a site.  I'll try to get it done tonight.

ArdraF

We had a great hike to Delicate Arch on Thursday. It was the first time Wendy & I had made the hike there after many many visits to Arches NP.
Below are some of the Pics I got during the Hike.
Mike

Attachments

• DelicateArchHikePano1 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano1 (Medium).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DelicateArchHikePano2 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano2 (Medium).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DelicateArchHikePano3 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano3 (Medium).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DelicateArchHikePano5 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano5 (Medium).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DelicateArchHikePano6 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano6 (Medium).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DelicateArchHikePano7 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano7 (Medium).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DelicateArchHikePano11 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikePano11 (Medium).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DelicateArchHikeFrameArch (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchHikeFrameArch (Medium).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DelicateArchFromFrameArch (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchFromFrameArch (Medium).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DelicateArchFromFrameArch3 (Medium).jpg
    DelicateArchFromFrameArch3 (Medium).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Us@DelicateArchHike (Small).jpg
    Us@DelicateArchHike (Small).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 14
Such a wonderful farewell dinner at Sunset Grill.  Too bad we missed those who left early or who had other issues and were not able to attend.  I am always so sad on  the days ends of a rally but I must admit how  fatigued I am from this rally.  When do I get a day off?  This is  like working but then we got week ends.  :)

Fond good byes to all .  We will be here a couple of  days to rest and shop at Hogans  but will be  back next year.  I did get awards photos which I will post when I  am good and ready.  I just love our rallies and our Rvforum Framily.

Betty

Thanks Ken. We had to show folks that Sunshine the VW could make it, just like Herbie did.
Pic of Sunshine at the start of the Onion Creek run.

Mike

Ken & Sheila said:
Congratulations to Mike (Coke) Lawrence for getting a VW through on Onion Creek road.
Good Work!

ken

Attachments

• SunshineOnOnionCreekRun.jpg
    SunshineOnOnionCreekRun.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 41
Final Awards at Moab 2011 RVForum Rally  were presented tonight at our final dinner at  Sunset Grill.  Since I missed awards presentation last night I  am combining  the giver and  getter ( aka reciver awards) from last night to tonight.

Care Bear was earned last night by Wendy for taking the group on the  Sego Drive to see the Petroglyphs  with the highlight being nearly missing a cow crossing the road.  We know Wendy does not eat meat but the diligence in rounding up this cow was worthy of an award. ...  and this Care Bear Ward was passed on tonight to Sheila who took on a group of bicyclists today on our route.  They were wet, cold, thirsty and  she rallied our 4 wheel drive group,  to give them water, trail mix, gps directions,  panchos and the wind breaker off her back.  We were all happy to  help out our fellow  recreational enthusiatists.

Goofy Plunger was held by Terry for losing his gloves but he passed it on tonight to Lou S. who  claimed he coud not do the  run called "Fins and Things" so  so changed run to the Top of the World,  a moderate rating that  turned out to be a difficult run.  He has a stock Bronco with street tires, no lockers, no lift and he did great  .  But Terry did offer him a coupon for a Jeep rental fo nex t time.

Final Happy Chicken Award  went to tall Jared for his  help on the Top of the World 4 wheel ,  run building roads, spotting us and  being an over all good kid who brought down our average age by a good deal. He is 19 and a fine example of the youth of America.  He is  going into second year of college and we  support his payments  into Social Security.  er uh his help with our Forum  group.  We sure hope he comes back to another RVForum rally with his family. 

I  noted  how happy I was to have so many new comers to our rally. The proof of how welcomed all of you felt will be whether or not you return.  Please do.

I want to thank Bill  R for his fine taste in wine as he shared  his favorite bottles with the  group.  I liked the Chardonnay the best. Thank you Bill and Corrine.

Happy Trails to all.

Attachments

• Care Bear.JPG
    Care Bear.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Plunger Award  to Lou.JPG
    Plunger Award to Lou.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Happy Chicken to Jared.JPG
    Happy Chicken to Jared.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 36
How'd you get Ardra's head up as high as Jared? He's 6'4 and she's not.

Great rally. Looking forward to the next one here or in Quartzsite or somewhere else along the road where someone sticks a pin in the map and says "here we are, come join us."

Wendy

How'd you get Ardra's head up as high as Jared? He's 6'4 and she's not.
She jumped and he bent his knees.

No joke!  Jared was bending his knees and I was on tippy-toe so Betty could get both of us in the picture.

Thanks to everyone who attended and participated.  We're already working on next year's Moab rally and hope to make improvements.  Suggestions are welcome.  Like Betty, I hate to say goodbye when our rallies end.  We always enjoy our wonderful old friends and love making great new friends as well.  C'mon back in 2012!

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom