EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: LCD tv in camper over winter  (Read 5196 times)

82corvette

• ---
LCD tv in camper over winter
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
So what is the verdict, can I leave my 22" RCA LCD tv/dvd combo in my trailer next winter here in Nebraska? I know it is awful early to worry but this info will be considered when I install it this week.
2012 Ram 1500 Crewcab Hemi,6spd. Auto,3:92 posi,Rambox, Airlift,B&W turnover hitch for future
2004 Jayco Eagle 308FBS Sold now looking
happy wife
mostly happy teen daughter
crazy Beagle named Shirley RIP

Jim Godward

• ---
Re: LCD tv in camper over winter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »
What does the manual say about low temperature storage??  Let that be your guide.  You may also want to check the hgh temperature storeage and operating temperatures so that you don't have problems down the road.  I just lost the display in one of my ham radios due to heat last summer - about $200 to replace!!
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:31 AM »
What is the low extreme temp where you are? LCDs can be damaged at low temps and there should be a minimum storage temperature listed in your owner manual. Typical specs say somewhere in the -20F to 0F range for storage and suggest letting it warm up for 24 hours before attempting to use it. Check your manual for specifics.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »
The LCD TV/Monitor I'm looking at as I type has spent several winters in the Motor home,,, two or three of 'em without heat (Save for an hour a day in the forward bathroom)  No problems .... Well.. One small problem... but that has nothing to do with wintering (Bad VGA cable plug at the computer end, occasionally looses the RED lead).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

WeatherWunder

• ---
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Our blog
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
We have left ours in the RV all winter without problem and we are in Lincoln, Nebraska.  But the best advice is to check your owners guide on the TV to see if it has guidelines.
Lady Sherry
Dog Roscoe
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
http://weatherzone2280.com/wundercamping

Bobandpamlemay

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
My LCD tv survived Chicago winters (at least part of them) with no problems.

Bob
Bob and Pam
Schaumburg, Ill
2008 F250 Diesel 
2009 Komfort 34' fifth wheel

dknouse

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
I left my LCD in my 5er this winter in Saskatchewan.  The coldest we get is -35F.  It didn't do anything to it but it's not a real expensive model either and I wouldn't replace it with another real expensive model if it died.  IMO a worse condition that they get is the vibration from going down the road. (unless you have it mounted solid which would minimize that too)

Dale
Dale

2001 Ford F350 4x4 DRW SB CC - Mods: 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, AFE Intake w/ Proguard 7 filter, Stancor GPR, Zoodad
2009 Keystone Cougar 316QBS Fifth Wheel  - Mods:  Camco vent covers, Custom Rear receiver hitch for boat tow

82corvette

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
It seems like we were at zero a lot last winter. I will sit down and read the manual this week before I install it.  I hope the weather report was right & we have a warm dry weekend. We will probably go to Pawnee Lake or Branched Oak this weekend.
2012 Ram 1500 Crewcab Hemi,6spd. Auto,3:92 posi,Rambox, Airlift,B&W turnover hitch for future
2004 Jayco Eagle 308FBS Sold now looking
happy wife
mostly happy teen daughter
crazy Beagle named Shirley RIP

WeatherWunder

• ---
  • Lincoln, Nebraska
    • Our blog
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
If you come to Pawnee, we are there.  I took some time from work, and we came out this morning (wednesday).  We may leave on Saturday, we have family coming to town!
Lady Sherry
Dog Roscoe
2005 Dodge Ram 1500
http://weatherzone2280.com/wundercamping

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »
The manuals won't necessarily be of assistance.  The manufacturers may state, for example, -20C because they've never bothered to test shipping at anything lower.   After all that doesn't happen often outsider Canada, Alaska, Russia, Siberia and similar places.  However the products may survive quite well.  Given a bit of time to warm up properly.

Even then though I've had some amateur radio equipment in my vehicles at -30 C and I've turned it on.  Worked

Hosted by Over The Network