LCD tv in camper over winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

82corvette

So what is the verdict, can I leave my 22" RCA LCD tv/dvd combo in my trailer next winter here in Nebraska? I know it is awful early to worry but this info will be considered when I install it this week.

What does the manual say about low temperature storage??  Let that be your guide.  You may also want to check the hgh temperature storeage and operating temperatures so that you don't have problems down the road.  I just lost the display in one of my ham radios due to heat last summer - about $200 to replace!!

What is the low extreme temp where you are? LCDs can be damaged at low temps and there should be a minimum storage temperature listed in your owner manual. Typical specs say somewhere in the -20F to 0F range for storage and suggest letting it warm up for 24 hours before attempting to use it. Check your manual for specifics.

The LCD TV/Monitor I'm looking at as I type has spent several winters in the Motor home,,, two or three of 'em without heat (Save for an hour a day in the forward bathroom)  No problems .... Well.. One small problem... but that has nothing to do with wintering (Bad VGA cable plug at the computer end, occasionally looses the RED lead).

We have left ours in the RV all winter without problem and we are in Lincoln, Nebraska.  But the best advice is to check your owners guide on the TV to see if it has guidelines.

I left my LCD in my 5er this winter in Saskatchewan.  The coldest we get is -35F.  It didn't do anything to it but it's not a real expensive model either and I wouldn't replace it with another real expensive model if it died.  IMO a worse condition that they get is the vibration from going down the road. (unless you have it mounted solid which would minimize that too)

Dale

It seems like we were at zero a lot last winter. I will sit down and read the manual this week before I install it.  I hope the weather report was right & we have a warm dry weekend. We will probably go to Pawnee Lake or Branched Oak this weekend.

If you come to Pawnee, we are there.  I took some time from work, and we came out this morning (wednesday).  We may leave on Saturday, we have family coming to town!

The manuals won't necessarily be of assistance.  The manufacturers may state, for example, -20C because they've never bothered to test shipping at anything lower.  After all that doesn't happen often outsider Canada, Alaska, Russia, Siberia and similar places.  However the products may survive quite well.  Given a bit of time to warm up properly.

Even then though I've had some amateur radio equipment in my vehicles at -30 C and I've turned it on.  Worked

Back
Top Bottom