Tires for a Coleman Popup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwebb37

I have a 1996 Coleman. I recently needed to get a new tire for it. I found a place online to order from. The tire and rim that I took off was 20.5x8x10. When I received the new tire it shows the size as 20.5x8.0x10. And it looks bigger. Well the rim actually is 1/2"  bigger. What is the difference in these two sizes? The website shows it as an 8. Thanks for your help.

Well I got hold of the manufacturer and they said that 20.5x8x10 and 20.5x8.0x10 are the same size which I figured that. But they said that even though the size may be the same, the diameter of the tire can vary by manufacture and that is why this tire which is not the same brand I currently have on, is a little off. Does this make sense? Never knew that. So he said I should by the same brand tire that I have currently on there.

Did you get just a new tire or tire and wheel (rim)? 
You stated the rim is 0.5" bigger, but you didn't say in which dimension. 0.5" wider is not an issue, but a different diameter would be. I wider rim will make the tire look bigger (wider).
Yes, there can be minor variations in dimensions among tires of same nominal size. Usually only a few tenths of an inch, though.

Since trailer wheels move independently of each other, I see no reason to be concerned about slightly different sizes, even on the same axle. Just make sure each tire & wheel has adequate clearance between it and the frame and fender and the other wheel if a tandem axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom