Storing Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trooper253

I am getting ready for the arrival of my new Hornet 27BHS later this summer and have a question about storing when its not in use.  The only place that I have to put so it will not be in my way is a little off level.  Will it harm the camper to leave it sitting off level or will it be best to level it up?  Also would it be better to block the tires up or just use the stabilizer jacks that are on the camper.  I am new to rving and want to have everything in place when it gets here.

I think a lot of what you want to do depends on how long you plan on "storing" it when not in use.  I am a "weekender", meaning I get out about once a month, two months, or so.  When I had my TT, I "stored" it first at a lot (when I live at a place that wouldn't let you store beside the house).  That was fairly level to begin with.  But no special considerations other than locking it all up.  I did put the stabilizers down, but probably wasn't necessary.  At my house now, I stored it at the side of my house, and got it "mostly level", but it was still off a bit.  It was level enough where I could still run my refrigerator (I kept the TT plugged in all the time).  Otherwise, no special considerations. 

So, I would say, as level as you can.  I've read much both ways about raising and blocking the axles to take weight off the tires, and even to reduce the pressure in them.  That, to me would indicate the trailer would be stored for quite some time.  Even during my extended periods of no use, my camper never sat that long. 

Whatever you do, DO NOT use your stabilizers to reduce the weight on your tires.  That is not what they are designed to do.  They are not designed to level...only to stabilize.

And of course, the other answer to all this is...GET OUT AND USE IT!  That way you don't have to worry about any of this!

The only thing that cares about level is the fridge, and then only if it is running.  If you may want to extend the slideout(s), that works better/easier if it is near level too.

If it is going to sit a long time (more than a couple months, its probably wise to take some weight off the tires and park them on some kind of ground barrier, e.g. plastic mat or boards. Take a look at the Michelin or Goodyear RV tires guides for suggested practices (even if you don''t have their brand of tires).

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/reference-material.jsp

If you use it once a month or more, storage is not much of a concern as long as the temps are above freezing.  Ventilate well if it is a high humidity region.

During the season, we are able to keep ours in the driveway and I keep it level so we can keep the fridge plugged in between trips and I put the jacks down to put out the slide so we can spend hot nights out there (no A/C in the house). In the off season, my neighbor lets me store it on his lot so I put it on 2x10 boards and block the wheels with wood chocks screwed into the 2x10's. It's not a very level spot so I have to raise one side about 6" and even then it's still about 3 - 4" of of level but close enough. I do not use the stabilizer jacks. I have never taken any weight off it (or my prior TT) and never had any issues with flat spots or bad tires.

I probably should put plastic down as a moisture barrier since it's parked on grass but it does have an enclosed underbelly that protects most of the metal parts and it gets plenty of breeze underneath - even in the biggest snowstorms - so I'm not too worried.

Edit: I also keep the tires covered when at home between trips and all winter.

Thanks for the advice.  I hope that we will be able to go out in it once a month or so I may just keep it in my driveway until I put it up for the winter.

Joezeppy said:
I probably should put plastic down as a moisture barrier since it's parked on grass but it does have an enclosed underbelly that protects most of the metal parts and it gets plenty of breeze underneath - even in the biggest snowstorms - so I'm not too worried.

Edit: I also keep the tires covered when at home between trips and all winter.

not a good idea to put the plastic under it! that will TRAP the moisture under the camper. if there is a good breeze leave it alone. I have seen too many old car etc that have had the bottom rotted out by being parked or wrapped in plastic. there is a reason the car/rv covers are breathable.

covering tires IS a good idea to keep the sunlight off them.

1275gtsport said:
not a good idea to put the plastic under it! that will TRAP the moisture under the camper. if there is a good breeze leave it alone. I have seen too many old car etc that have had the bottom rotted out by being parked or wrapped in plastic. there is a reason the car/rv covers are breathable.

I agree - I would never cover a car or trailer with plastic. Never thought about it trapping moisture if it was just layed on the ground but the more I think about it, it makes sense, too.

skeeter170 said:
dpes anyone ever cover their TT?

I had an ADCO cover for our prior TT - I tried to fit it to the new one but no-go, it was too small, so I just left it uncovered this year. Trying to decide if I want to buy one for the new TT or not.

I used my cover and even wheel covers through out the year, so even during our most traveled months, once my RV was clean and I put the cover on, it would look like I just washed it and was ready to use it. Even after a long storage period like in the winter months. MightyCovers.com has a great selection of covers for RV's and RV accessories.

First off, you will find the blocking and leveling in your owners manual. If you?re just looking for a quick answer than you should always store your trailer level, among other things it will prevent tire overloading. Another advantage is the fridge, it will be much easier to get it going after a period of storage in the level position. Insure your tires are aired to maximum sidewall pressures. Those are the important things. Other helpful hints are to use wooden blocks under the tires of a size larger than the tires foot print. Use some sort of UV protection on your tires and insure they will have adequate ventilation. Covering your trailer is not necessary unless its in an area where pine pitch or other tree saps can get on it. Again, read your owners manual, it?s all in there.

FastEagle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom