River Afan - a restored fishery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
On our recent visit to Wales, UK, I had several days fishing the River Afan which runs through the Afan Valley, previously a coal mining valley. I fished this river as a kid and up until we came to CA 30 years ago. Back in those days, water from the Afan was used to wash coal mined at the pit in Duffryn, and released back into the river. The result was a daily color change from almost clear to charcoal to black, and a gradual change back to almost clear. Occasionally, a tributary called the Pelena would overflow and flood an old abandoned mine, releasing toxic chemicals into the river, and they found their way into the Afan, killing all fish.

A number of my prior workmates and friends campaigned for many years to stop the sources of pollution and restore the fishery to its prior pristine condition. Their efforts resulted in clear waters that hold rainbow trout, sewin (a migratory trout), and salmon.

I'll add notes and photos from my days fishing and observing the Afan on this trip.

I'll add notes and photos from my days fishing and observing the Afan on this trip.

Tom I'm looking forward to the report.

Apologies Doug, I got distracted by a lot of catchup stuff, in addition to family, after we returned. I'll get posting soon. Thanks for the nudge.

On my first day headed towards the river, by chance I saw some guys at the side of the road who looked like they might be fishermen (one was wearing chest waders - that's a giveaway). I stopped to talk to them, and one guy asked "are you Tom?" Blew me away, and it turned out to be the new President of the local angling club to which I've belonged since 1959. I've been active on their forum, so he put it together with my "American accent". Couldn't resist the Kodak moment.

Attachments

• AVAC_committee1.jpg
    AVAC_committee1.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 15
  • AVAC_committee2.jpg
    AVAC_committee2.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 14
I learned that this was the day they were stocking the river, so I hung around for a while. The hatchery truck/trailer turned up. They checked out the fish, measured and counted them, before planting. They also took the water temp and it was 9oC (48oF).

Attachments

• Stock_fish.jpg
    Stock_fish.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 13
  • water_temp.jpg
    water_temp.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 19
Having had an unusually dry month, water levels were quite low. This severely limited the sea trout and salmon from returning upstream.

I could have fished where they planted, but that's like dangling fish food in a goldfish bowl. Instead, I headed several miles up the valley, and started fishing near the village of Pontrhydyfen, the birthplace of actor Richard Burton. Looking downstream, I could see the old aquaduct; I have a better pic somewhere.

Attachments

• Above_Ponty.jpg
    Above_Ponty.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Ynys.jpg
    Ynys.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 11
  • aquaduct.jpg
    aquaduct.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Ynys2.jpg
    Ynys2.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Ynys3.jpg
    Ynys3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 11
Nice scenery,good to see it returned to a clean stream,must bring back good  memories .

Nice stream what size do the fish run there? I'll be fly fishing in Tn. week after next
can't wait. 8)

Here's a club forum topic listing "champions" for various years. I believe my 1970 winner was due to the 1968 winner scaring folks away from submitting their 'big catch'.

Edit: Looks like the topic was removed, so the link no longer works.

Back
Top Bottom