Cell coverage to Alaska (Alcan hwy) + Satellite phone rental??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdad72

What's the cell coverage like from Calgary through Whitehorse, Tok, Fairbanks, etc. etc.?  I currently have AT&T cell and I was going to rent a satellite phone for emergencies and/or e-mail & data.    Has anyone used a Sat phone up through Alaska?  Any problems with e-mail/data service on Sat phone?

thanks!

It was all but non-existent when we made the journey in 2002, but I understand that BC & Alaska cellular coverage has improved dramatically since then. Maybe someone with more recent experience can comment.

Do you know who will handle your AT&T phone in Canada so you can check their coverage? There is a Travel Guide on the AT&T site that will help you figure out what works. Don't expect a lot in the back country, though.

You will probably want the AT&T Canada extra coverage plan.

We went in 2006 and as I recall there was fairly good cell coverage but we weren't signed up for coverage in Canada.  We used Skype with our satellite Internet when we needed to make a call in Canada.  Not sure about sat phone, never used one.

Given that you have AT&T they probably partner with Telus or Bell in Canada.  In western Canada Telus and Bell colocate their towers so the map at http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/cdma/canadavoicemaps.shtml should work for you for the Alberta portion of your journey.

Once you're in the Yukon it's NorthWestTel aka Latitude  http://latitudewireless.ca/availability  but that map sucks for road coverage purposes.  (Hmm, it's been quite a while since I looked.  There sure are a lot of small communities with cell phone coverage.  For example Normal Wells, NWT with a popn of 700.  Mind you that's an oil town so likely Esso made a deal issued all their employees and spouses with cell phones.)

As far as AK goes I have no idea.

Tony (Canadian with a slight knowledge of Canada's north.)

Oh yeah, if you are going to use your AT&T phone in Canada make very sure you contact AT&T and have them add Canada to your plan.  The $20 (or whatever) will likely be a lot cheaper than the roaming charges you are likely to incur.

Horror stories of cell phone bills with hundreds or a few in the thousands of $$$s for roaming charges are common in the newspapers.

Rant:  The frigging cell phone companies should tell you once you exceed your monthly plan by a certain reasonable precentage. 

thanks for the info.... I'll check w/ ATT&T to make sure they put Canada on my plan.

My son-in-law took his AT&T cell phone on a business trip to Canada and had $145 in roaming charges in just a few days.

KodiakRV said:
My son-in-law took his AT&T cell phone on a business trip to Canada and had $145 in roaming charges in just a few days.
Sounds about right.  Let me assure you Canadians get the same treatment while in the USA.  :)    And to add injury these roaming charges can happen just leaving your cell phone on.  Every podunk cell company can whack you a charge as you enter their territory.  Or so my understanding goes.

We were in Atlantic Canada last summer and in Western Canada in 2006. We have AT&T as our primary cell phones.  When we checked last June, AT&T wanted $60.00 extra plus our monthly charges to put us on a Canadian Plan; plus we would have to pay all the roaming charges.  We also have a Verizon cell phone and they changed our plan to Canada using the same minute plan that we have and with an $20.00 per month extra and NO roaming charges. 

Many of us who travel 5-6 months out of the year have 2 cell phone services.

Marsha~

Where AT&T nails you is with their Data charges.  For $5.00 a month you can add voice for Canada that reduces your cost per minute from $.79 per minute to $.59.  That's manageable.  The Data costs a super high and if you have a Data hog phone, you better be careful.  They offer Data plans but they look mighty pricey to me.  I plan to turn the data off on my i-phone and use its data capability only when I've got a wi-fi signal.  I'll probably just use my laptop most of the time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom