Quick tip for your Wal*Mart visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maalox

Remember that Wal*Mart stores-- especially those in urban areas-- are beginning to shy away from overnighters.  Stores may change their overnight policy without announcement, so it's important that you call ahead if you're planning to roll in late at night.  It's happened to me a few times now where I've gotten a knock on the door asking me to find somewhere else to camp.

Of course, sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from the person who answers the phone.  I've found that the quickest way to get the official thumbs up is to ask to be transferred to security.  Generally, you'll be patched right through and talking with a real person (who actually has authority!) within seconds.

Good recommendation about calling ahead and checking with Security, but it usually is not WalMart calling the shot when overnite is not allowed. It could the the mall owner if a combined shopping center or local ordinance prohibiting it.

Ah, I suppose you're right-- It's really up to whoever is paying the security guards, which may or may not be Wal Mart.

I have been to one Wall-mart that did not welcome overnighters. . And given the size of their parking lot I'm not at all surprised (it was a mini wall mart)

I have been to a few STATES or cities that did not welcome overnighters, and thus the Wal-mart there did not, but that is not Wal-Mart's fauilt

It is Affinity, (Good Sams, Camping World, Several campgrounds) and the other members of the Campground Owner's Assoication who see that 20-30-60-90 a night they charge slipping away cause someone parks at a Wall-mart.

Several Wally Worlds are closing because of the high crime rates in their stores and parking lots. Some that are not closing are ending overnight parking because of the possibility of liability due to crimes on the property.

The simplest way to do it is to subscribe to rv overnight web site and then you will know way in advance if the Walmart allows overnighters or not. I have been using their service for the last few years and 99% of the time the listing are correct.http://www.overnightrvparking.com/

That's too bad Bruce. What happened to all the WM security we've heard about every time this subject comes up? Maybe they're too busy protecting RVers to protect WM property?

We've only done walmart short night stays in Reynoldsburg OH, Howell MI, and Escanabe MI but every time we've made sure it was a 24 hr store, went shopping there when we got in, asked if it was OK, always told it was fine..had one or two others each time ..... and then went shopping there again following AM.... ALWAYS have somethings that we can get there and thank them while we're at it .....
I don't know that I've ever seen a WalMart store in a bad area .....not yet anyway...
Have been to a couple RV campgrounds that we went to, turned around and left from because of the area and or appearances but I don't stay anywhere without first asking if it's OK and feeling secure..
When we're driving through an area or state,  we usually find two or three possibilities on the internet through the many sources and check via phone with two or three possibilities ahead of time that would work just in case.....

I wonder when walmart is going to put in water and electric and start charging for parking.

I stopped at a Best Western hotel that had done just that.  They had 8 RV sites behind the motel, very nice.

Wizard46 said:
I wonder when walmart is going to put in water and electric and start charging for parking.

Walmart is not a campground. It is simply a place that allows you to park overnight. They are not in competition with campgrounds.

It is not always Wall-Mart..  Many times the campground owner's assn, worried that they might be loosing a bit of business. has Pressured the city or state into passing "Anti-Overnight" laws.

Back
Top Bottom