attaching things to the outside skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ava

if I wanted to attach something to the outside of my
fifthwheel, its fiberglass... is it ok to just use some self tapping
screws or will it crack the fiberglass?
Can anyone direct me properly in attaching something to the
outside skin?  I don't want to cause any damage and I certainly don't want
any screw holes to cause water to leak into the wall.

This will depend on what object you want to attach, will the wind tear it off??, will it be heavy??, will it cover a large area??, will it be fabric and wick moisture??,. The skin is usually way less than 1/4 inch in thickness and will pull out with little effort if there is little or no backing.>>>Dan 8)

oh, all good questions..
its not going to be heavy, I just want to attach some "brackets"
so that I can hang a piece of shade cloth over the small kitchen
window. When the sun starts to set it gets downright hot in
that corner. Its not something that would be up there permanently,
well, the brackets would be, but not the shade cloth.

Thinking along those lines brings to mind the small catches used to hang curtans and a bow snaps into them with the curtan attached to the bow for removal, simple with no weight and little  expense or protrusions, four sheet metal screws and your done.>>>Dan 8)

AVA,

Some good Velcro should do what you want and will not require any drillig or screws.  It can be had in various weights for attaching things of various weights.  The Astronaughts use in in Shuttle and the space station.    ;)

I'm with Jim on the velcro. Better yet, get an rv sun screen that a lot of folks have. You can see out, but helps keep light and heat out.

In reply to your original question, as long as you use a pilot drill first, and do not over torque the screw, you're fine with attaching with screws from the outside. A little sealant in the hole prior to placement of the screws are advised.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom