a/c question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drfire

I have a 1995 coleman fleetwood "utha" popup.It does not have a/c. I was reading here on the net and I see that people have put them in on the side of there camper.The only problem I have is that my side windows unzipper from the top down.The one side connects to the screen door and the otherside is connect to the bunk side. I dont know if my roof will hold a rv a/c. I dont want to cut a hole in the back of the camper because thats where the converter is.Is there a way to put one in the side window or somewhere? Is there any one with the same camper that had this problem.If there is anything I can do to have a/c please let me know and if anyone has pictures please help me on this.

Generally the roof wlll.. I put a window A/C through the bottom (metal part) on my Apache pop up.

NOTE: it takes a whole lot of A/C to cool a tent.. But it does not take nearly as much to drop the humidity and that... makes it much more comfortable.

Thanks john...by chance to u have any pictures of your a/c in your popup? Where did u cut the hole at? I know that on the rear of my thats where the converter is.Faceing the camper from the front did u put it on the left or right? On mine the left is where the seats r and right is where the water tank,sink and icebox is.

Depending on room available, etc., you might want to check into portable AC units.  Home Depot and Lowe's both carry them in the spring and summer.  They are usually suitcase sized and on rollers.  The only other consideration is that they all have flexible ducting for exhausting hot air.  You would want to install a dryer-type vent in the side of your trailer to attach the duct to when in use.  i have installed a couple of these for customers in the past and find that they work pretty well in, say, a 14x14' bedroom.

I had a 1984 Coleman and when I bought it Coleman had a frame that mounted between the trailer rail and roof to hold the small a/c. It worked great. while it held the a/c, it had a strap that connected to the roof to give it support. Sometone I used a light weight post outside to provide additional support. As was stated, a/c in a tent is not great but it helps. My popup had plastic inserts over the screens that we zipped up and it made it real comfortable.

Bob

drfire said:
Thanks john...by chance to u have any pictures of your a/c in your popup? Where did u cut the hole at? I know that on the rear of my thats where the converter is.Faceing the camper from the front did u put it on the left or right? On mine the left is where the seats r and right is where the water tank,sink and icebox is.

Alas, no photos.. And I no longer have the trailer.  Where you put it depends a lot on your floor plan.. in my case it went in the front, Basically replacing one LP tank.. You might also put it in the rear, depending on how the trailer is layed out..

Or you could cut a special "Window" in the side and put it in there when parked, removing to drive (or sliding in on rails)

Cut a proper size retangle in the slide, install rails for the A/C. build a door over the hole, slide it in to drive, out to use, remove it completly when it's cold out and take advantage of the space for storage..  (not how I did it)

Back
Top Bottom