Residential Refrig Install-Happy days are here again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terry A. Brewer

Finally...I'm rid of that EXPENSIVE toy RV refrig, should have done it 11 years ago.

Whirlpool Gold G2IXEFMWB

PRO

1. 22 cu' verses 14 cu'
2. $800 Verses $3500 cost
3. HARD ice cream instead of SOFT
4. Large pizza boxes fit
5. Interior filtered water dispenser
6. No fear of catching on fire or mickey mouse recalls
7. Easy & cheap to repair
8. Lighter
9. Auto defrost= happy wife

CONS

1. NONE

Some will say not being able to operate on propane is one.....but I dry camp 1-2 months a year & it wont be a problem....WHY?

Because it only uses 0.95-1.2 amps while running.

I ran it 25 hrs using a Kill A Watt meter to monitor it & it only used 1.04 KWh which if my math is right...is 8.7 AC Amps or 87 DC amps.  That is less than 1 hr of generator time for every 25 hr. period.

I will now really enjoy reading about other peoples problems with their RV refrigerators.

Attachments

• Refrigerator 2010.JPG
    Refrigerator 2010.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 635
  • Refrigerator 2010-4.JPG
    Refrigerator 2010-4.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 561
  • Refrigerator 2010-39.JPG
    Refrigerator 2010-39.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 579
  • Refrigerator 2010-40.JPG
    Refrigerator 2010-40.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 629
Oh yes,

He is a happy camper!  I did lose the two  large storage drawers below the refrig but gained two smaller drawers and with  what I rearranged it all works.  Heck I have enough extra room in the refrig to store that crock pot if I wanted.

I can't say enough about Davis Cabinets in Junction City Oregon.  They managed the replacement.  The newly rebuilt cabinet is  professional, pretty and was done is a very  timely manner considering that the windsheild had to be taken out to get the old  frig out and put the new one in. 

I still can't get over how much room I have.  Now I suppose he will expect meals.  I shall serve  pizza and Ice cream! 

Betty

Wendy

>>$800 for the new frig but how much for the installation?<<

A LOT LOT less than a new Dometic/Norcold refrig.

Wendy said:
$800 for the new frig but how much for the installation?

Some things are measured in peace of mind.  The install was a sanity preserving measure.  Plus we are  trying to keep the  economy of a depressed RV market  alive.  Seriously!

Betty 

Be still my heart!  I wish we had had the foresight to do that when our old frig bit the dust.  Enjoy!

Margi

caltex said:
Terry, is that a cell phone repeater I see on the counter?

Oh heck,

You would notice that Dual  ban panel  cell phone  antenna hooked to a Wilson  amplifier.  So yes it is a repeater .  It had only been up 15 minutes before he took  photo.  I plan to paint it so that it blends into the wall.  He hopes it will amplify our cell phone reception in rig. 

Betty

Tom and Margi said:
Be still my heart!  I wish we had had the foresight to do that when our old frig bit the dust.  Enjoy!

Margi,

The thing is that new refrigerators have such a much better energy efficiency than former models so it makes it a no brainer.  I hope those  RV manufactures who stayed in business will consider this value when they  make new RV's.  Many  Motorhome folks will never  be without an electrical connection.  And yes the cost of an RV refrigerator is obscene!  We know having  had to replace it  4 times  ( Most on an extended warranty) but still........

BB

Terry:

Free from Dometic at last! :-\

I assume the new inverter handles the load OK?

Terry & Betty,

Nice job.  It looks great.  Can you please include a photo with both doors open so we can see the inside.

Thanks,
JerryF

Jeff

>>I assume the new inverter handles the load OK?<<

Actually a 200 watt would probably handle it.....I haven't installed it yet as I'm still pondering installing it inside a cabinet or in the refrig opening.

Jerry

Here you go...Have some Cherry Garcia.<G>

Attachments

• IMG_2082 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_2082 [640x480].JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 475
Terry A. Brewer said:
Because it only uses 0.95-1.2 amps while running.

I ran it 25 hrs using a Kill A Watt meter to monitor it & it only used 1.04 KWh which if my math is right...is 8.7 AC Amps or 87 DC amps.  That is less than 1 hr of generator time for every 25 hr. period.
However that is about one standardish 100 Amp hour RV battery.  Or to put another way it is using about 3.6 amps per hour.  Which is the output of 3 100 watt solar panels.  So that's a heck of a lot when not hooked up to shore power or generator.

Or am I missing something in my calculations?

Tony

Your heater uses way more than that....& if you have a TV over 12" it probably does also. Heck just 3 of my 20 watt halogen lights uses 5 amps. 3.5 amps an hr for all the benefits of a real refrig is truly a bargain.

It would be doubtful if one battery would get you through one cold night for sure not two nights.

Terry,

I love it.  Thanks for the interior photo.  I am impressed with the interior space and especially the fact that ice cream is now HARD! 

Betty,

Nice job you did.  The addition of the plastic baskets with the spring rods to keep them in place  is a very cleaver addition.  Smart you!

JerryF

Terry A. Brewer said:
Tony

Your heater uses way more than that....& if you have a TV over 12" it probably does also. Heck just 3 of my 20 watt halogen lights uses 5 amps. 3.5 amps an hr for all the benefits of a real refrig is truly a bargain.

It would be doubtful if one battery would get you through one cold night for sure not two nights.

But the refer runs 24/7 and the heater, tv and light don't. I think if you are boondocking it will suck batteries.

Great looking job Terry & Betty, When we get to Yuma in the Fall we will bring the pizza so you can store the leftovers!!! ;)

Terry,

If Davis was closer I would have done the same thing. I couldn't find a refer that would fit in our opening so went with the new Norcold. Next time I'll probably do the household replacement.

Nice job, Terry.  I've had a home style refrigerator in my Arctic Fox for 7 or 8 years now - it's a little smaller (it replaced a single wide Norcold) but uses about the same amount of power.  Boondocking is not a problem - unlike an absorption refrigerator, the compressor does not run continuously, but cycles on and off depending on how often you open the door and the outside temperature.  Mine averages about a 30% "on" duty cycle.

You might look at the 600 watt Xantrek true sine wave inverter for that fridge - it's about $150 at several places including Amazon.  My fridge likes the sine wave power better than the modified sine.  Don't forget you need a fudge factor for the compressor starting surge.

Now I just have to convince Cindy to let me replace the Norcold in the motorhome.

Back
Top Bottom