How do you remove a shower pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.Thompson

Hello.  Got a 1994 Fleetwood Rallyee.  All water connections, city and fresh water tank with pump, both bathroom and kitchen sinks, water heater and toilet on driver's side.  Shower is on passenger's side.  Can not find any sign of how water lines run over to shower anywhere.  Water line that runs up wall to showerhead goes by fridge's outside vents (moron designers!) so naturally it freezes and cracks in hard winter weather.  Want to reroute it up other shower wall which will be on inside closet so won't freeze.  Since can't find water line at source on driver's side, need to remove shower pan so can cap off old line and add new one.  Can't remove fridge so don't suggest that.  Took 3 strong men to put it in a few years ago and don't have access to that kind of help anymore.  Have cut and removed all caulking around all four sides between surround walls and pan.  Have removed all weird headed screws caulked down on lip onto pan under glass shower door.  Have removed metal screen from drain.  Can't get pan up.  Seems to be held down only by chrome drain.  Drain won't turn/unscrew.  No screws in x in middle of drain to undo.  Used sharp pocket knife and scraped all around inside drain hoping to find gasket/seal to cut to separate but no joy.  Can slide thin knife blade under chrome drain lip laying over onto pan around drain but can only lift up enough to get blade under.  Seems like drain is welded to pipe underneath.  Sure hope not.  Anyone else ever removed a pan?  How did you do it?  Having to tote all water used for several months now because of line break and it is sure getting old.  Would really like to get this fixed but am at a total loss how to proceed.  Must a hammer be taken to the pan to break it into chunks to remove it so access can be gotten to the water line?  Help will be gratefully received.

the x part of the drain is a screw of sorts. You can buy a tool at the local hardware store that fits in the drain and has an x pattern cut in it to fit over the x you see down in the drain it self. Simply unscrew that and the shower pan should lift out but only after everything that was built over it is removed. Often that means the whole shower enclosure. I have used a pair of needle nose pliers in a pinch just stick em down there a turn like you would a post hole digger.

Good luck don't be afraid to think outside of the box to fix this one.

wayne

Thanks guys.  I'll try the needle nosed pliers today.  I hadn't tried that yet.  Insulating the lines won't work now as a cure anyhow since the line is either cracked or broken already and leaks if I have any water going into the rig at all.  So I've got to get to it and fix it whether I move it or not.  Figured I'd might as well move it too and just eliminate the problem period since I full time and it got to -17 degrees real temps where I was this last winter.  Last time it broke a connector I did insulate between the fridge vents and the pipe but sometimes that just isn't enough when the pipe is that close to an outside vent.  I'll let you know how it works.  It still puzzles me where in the world the line hooks into the other lines and the water supply though.  I have a pretty clear view of the whole driver's side between the inside wall and the outside wall where all the other pipes run from an access panel behind the toilet and under the kitchen sink.  That sucker doesn't seem to be any where in there!

Ummm...tried the needle nosed pliers.  X bar in center of drain promptly broke completely out of drain.  So.  Anybody got any ideas?  Hammer is looking better and better.  Now what?

Back
Top Bottom