Traveling with Cats in a Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moparmurf

I am looking to buy a class A and we have a cat, Big question is where to put the cat Box? Have room in our 5th wheel but the motorhome is diff. :)

We put ours in the shower. You might want to check out this thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31946.msg301076#msg301076

I travel with a cat and find that I can put the litter box just about anywhere so long as it doesn't stink. So to keep it from ever stinking I use a large covered litter box filled with Fresh Step clumping litter and every morning I scoop it out first thing. Odor is not an issue. Right now it is under my living room table about two feet from my two feet.

Where to put the cat box.

Suggestion one: Toilet train the cat (yes it can be done, google for assistance, I've not tried it)

Suggestion two: Answer varies with floor plan.. We never use our dining room table (We have the table type instead of the bench type) so it goes under the chairs under the table.

We use a portable table that gives us much more room

If you don't like the look of a liter box in your living room there are plenty of ways to disguise it. Google liter box furniture or cat furniture.

John From Detroit said:
Suggestion one: Toilet train the cat (yes it can be done, google for assistance, I've not tried it)

I'm sorry but that won't work in a motorhome. The lid to the toilet must be up all the time and you can't teach a cat to flush the toilet or to open and close the lid. So after he does his thing the solids and liquids will remain in the bottom of the bowl and stink up the motorhome.

Keeping lid up all the time is not a problem.. You can flush from time to time.

And I"ve seen plans for teaching a cat to flush.. But only about  a third of the books on the subject suggest doing that.  (I might add it requires a macerator toilet to teach a cat to flush, and you are going to have to modify it a bit)

We travel with two cats.  We keep the litterbox under the dinette table.  Have a giant open litterbox with 20# of clumping clay litter.  SCOOP DAILY !!!!!!!

We have a 2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40X (go to Fleetwoodrv.com to see the floor plan) and our covered cat box fits quite nicely behind the passenger seat while we are set up. While driving we put it behind the driver?s side slide (entrance to the hallway). It?s out of the way of everything.

George and Dee & DK & Boots
2008 Excursion 40X
2007 Honda CR-V (toad)

We have a cat and so far have not been away long enough to require the little fur ball to come with us. We have a truce but that little thing uses the house as her personal crapper (a whole other topic, ugh) so she isn't allowed in the camper. The one thing I put my foot down about and thankfully the wife agrees, plus it seems to always be shedding tons of fur, yet another reason to not bring it along.

I can only imagine how much of the litter the cat would bring with her out of the box, we bring the dog, it listens, the cat takes messages and gets back to you in her time, damn fur ball.  :eek:

EDIT: Plus, when the cat is out of the home, it's capable of meowing 24x7 until it's back home, this has been tested, it will literally meow non-stop until home again... the wife wonders why I don't like cats.... ::)

KlipschHead281 said:
I can only imagine how much of the litter the cat would bring with her out of the box, we bring the dog, it listens, the cat takes messages and gets back to you in her time, damn fur ball.

Rather vacuum up a little litter and scoop daily than have to get up with a dog in the morning and, rain or shine, walk it and then bag up the mess ! I will admit however, a cat listens only when they want to.  ;D

seilerbird said:
If you don't like the look of a liter box in your living room there are plenty of ways to disguise it. Google liter box furniture or cat furniture.

DANG - We recently bought a cabinet at a thrift store and made a 'litter box furniture' of our own. We thought we had come up with a unique idea!

Needless to say, our $$$ spent were far less than what I saw them selling for after google'ing

Back
Top Bottom