5 th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icewater

So which truck is best for a fifth wheel  (Diesel) of about 30 ' length my friend has a ford 350 dually with a slide in Lance camper. I am going to buy used so adise away gentelmen and ladies. I am a newbie so be gentle. :-\

Thank you for the welcome. I sure hope for some good advice. I have been reading for a couple of hours. Good  people here !

So which truck is best for a fifth wheel? (Diesel) of about 30 ' length

So what what is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer?

You start with the GVWR of the trailer.? ?Then you go to the Trailer Life tow rating tables for the year of truck that you are interested in.? On the tables look up the trucks that will handle your trailer GVWR.? Add 10% to the GVWR if you are towing in the east or on the flats.? ?Add 15-20% if you will tow in the mountain west.? ?When you find a truck that has a 5th wheel tow rating that is equal to or greater than that, you are in business.

Trailer length is not a factor in the calculations.? ?The GVWR of a trailer is found on a plate on the trailer, probably on the left side front.? ?The Trailer Life tow ratings can be found online at http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Carl Lundquist said:
When you find a truck that has a 5th wheel tow rating that is equal to or greater than that, you are in business.

Carl, Icewater,

Tow rating is only part of the story.  Then you need to make sure you are within the GCWR of the truck.  Truck curb weight as delivered with options + stuff added after like bedliner + passengers & stuff+ hitch+5th wheel pin weight as delivered & loaded for the road.

for example: http://joelmyers.net/06_Qz/Weighed%20my%20truck%20today.htm

We tow a 30 ft Cameo. Trailer and all of our "stuff" weighs just under 13000. We tow with a
03 Chev 2500 HD Duramax with Allison 5 sp transmission. This is well under the limits for this truck
and the truck handles it very well.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom