Propane Usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heheheh

As to Seilerbird, that my friend is up to you using your charm and continuing to keep her there.  As Betty says, the WH turn on is a blue, which gets me to get out my pad, a screwdriver etc, blue jobs can be automated. To automate them is a blue job.  When the blue jobs are automatic, we get to relax while the pinks get done. 

Next month when my wh starts and stops, saves propane, saves noise and saves me getting out of bed, you will be lining up.

And for the birdman, what a pick up line!  Hi girls, I live in my motorhome and I have an automatic timed water heater.  You will have to fight them off.

The t-stat may eliminate the intermittent heater noise during the night, but you are still going to get a long burn in the a.m. when the t-stat kicks in and I doubt if the overall propane usage is going to be much, if any, less.

Gary
I am OK with it, the wh is just behind the head of the bed, on my side, but it is pretty well insulted from noise.  I like the idea of not getting up to turn it on.  As to whether or not it will save usage, unless I create some kind of hobbs type meter, and had a control heater to show differences, we will never really know.  It is getting warmer now and the morning burn should be less with a higher ambient temperature.

PancakeBill said:
As to Seilerbird, that my friend is up to you using your charm and continuing to keep her there.

Too late, she's gone already. It's just me and the cat.

Tstat not needed at all, but so far easiest and cheapest way to get timer.  Haven't found a source for a timer that runs on a couple AA batts, that will switch 12v.  If you can think of a source, please share.  I have found timers like that but well over $100.  A programmable tstat can be bought for $30 range.  Just leave temp setting on a number not attainable.  This will cause it to be always on., Or jump the temp sensor. 

You could install a timer to start the heater early in the morning. One of those set-back furnace thermostats might be wired up to do it. Then nobody gets up early and peace reigns in the family. Or train the cat.  :D

I'm anxious to see how the timer/tstat works on the WH. Might want one on ours. Of course, installing it would be a BLUE job.

As for Blue v. Pink for us:
Anything technogeeky is a Blue job.
Anything involving the holding tanks, especially the poopy one, is a Blue job.
Installing things is a Blue job.
Anything that has to be done in the dark, is a Blue job (only because I can't see in the dark).
Cooking inside is a Pink job, cooking outside is a Blue job.
Finances is a Pink job.
Driving is a Blue job (again, because of my vision).
Removing dead creatures is a Blue job.

Wendy

utahclaimjumper said:
Bill, whats the point of having any switching device if its going to allways be "on"??>>>Dan

The timer is set for certain times to be on or off.  If the thermostat is set for 60 deg ambient air temp and it is 65 deg ambient air temp, then the timer will not turn on the water heater.  So, you need to set the temp (air) sensor to always call for 'heat'.  Then the timer will act only as a switch. 

This is the key, a digital programmable thermostat is the least expensive way to have a timer switch.  The thermostat portion is not needed.  and needs to be bypassed in some way, either by a jumper, or by a setting that would always be a demand.

Understand now? 

Intermatic makes a variety of timers that have multiple sets of contacts so you could run the electric thru one and the 12V for the gas side thru another.  They have digital ones that can be programed for several events each day.

To Wendy and Betty ==

I'll bet that Mike and Terry would agree with me that a Blue Job is whatever Wendy/Betty/Mary Ann says it is!  ::) :D ;D

Don

Tom --

Come hang around a week with Wendy, Betty or Mary Ann and you'll be right there with me -- "What next, Dear?"  ;) ::)

Don

Don, come hang around with us, and Mary Ann will learn how to take care of all those "blue" jobs  ;D

We'll schedule time for washing/waxing the coach, dumping tanks, and oil changes; Nothing more difficult to start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom