CB Ready? So says the sticker on my new Bounder...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

On my new Fleetwood Bounder, the sticker says "CB Ready." Does anyone know what that actually means? Does it mean cable installed, or metal plate for ground plane, or...?? My dealer doesn't know, neither the sales guy nor the gentleman who did the walk-through with me.

I'd actually like to put at least a 2 meter rig in there, but my FT-897 would be even better.  Any thoughts on where to get information about installing rigs/antennas on such a beast?

Thanks,
de N8GGG

It is 'supposed to' mean that the antenna and cable are installed and the 12V fused power wire is as well. They are likely well hidden amongst the under dash wiring or next to the spot the manufacturer designated for the CB to be placed. Is the antenna itself not there??

A call to Fleetwood with your coaches VIN might help if the unit is brand new.

There's no CB antenna, as far as I can tell, unless it's incorporated into the AM/FM antenna (or unless I'm totally misidentifying what I see). I'll take a closer look when I get it back from the dealer (found a number of items needing repair on our maiden voyage).

Thanks for the info.

CB Ready usually means the antenna and wiring is present to hook up a CB. If you do not have an antenna, maybe this manufacturer only supplies the cables ??? Think you need to contact the factory for direction if your dealer can't help.

I finally was able to get under the dash (sort of) and found the CB antenna connector -- what a disappointment. They've used a splitter arrangement with the AM/FM radio, so they use the same antenna for both. That coax is not only extra thin (very noticeably smaller than normal RG-58), but going through the splitter (along with the antenna itself) would make it useless for anything other than a CB.

Thanks for all the thoughts/help above, though.

lnuss said:
They've used a splitter arrangement with the AM/FM radio, so they use the same antenna for both.

Sorry to hear that, those combo units are less than adequate even in an automobile where you have more metal surfaces. In a motorhome, I wouldn't expect that to work very well at all. Roof mounted CB antennas designed for motorhome use are marginal at best in performance. If you want a CB in your coach, I would strongly recommend a separate antenna.

DandS said:
Sorry to hear that, those combo units are less than adequate even in an automobile where you have more metal surfaces. In a motorhome, I wouldn't expect that to work very well at all. Roof mounted CB antennas designed for motorhome use are marginal at best in performance. If you want a CB in your coach, I would strongly recommend a separate antenna.

Thanks, but I don't want a CB rig -- I was looking for an easy way to put a ham (2m/440) rig/antenna in my Bounder (i.e. replace the CB antenna with a dual bander), but they foiled me.

I mounted a dual band antenna on the ladder.  I mounted it with the tip the same height as the ladder to prevent hitting bridges.

Use angle iron behind the ladder.  drill holes either side of the up rights for u-bolts.  You can select any number of antenna mounts.  I grounded the ladder to the frame of the MH.  Your not going to work DX with it but it does the job for me and it is permanent.

I used to us a mag mount on the dash until my wife complained about headaches.

Russ, WB3FQI/KL7

lnuss said:
Thanks, but I don't want a CB rig -- I was looking for an easy way to put a ham (2m/440) rig/antenna in my Bounder (i.e. replace the CB antenna with a dual bander), but they foiled me.

Is there a cell phone antenna on the MH?  If there is you can do what I did, replace the cell antenna with a dual band one.  I think Diamond makes one that is about 12 or 13" tall that works fine.  I don't remember, now that I think of it, whether mine is a Diamond or a Comet but it works fine!!

Just another option,

Nice thought, Jim, and that would make it so easy,but unfortunately the only antennas on board are the AM/FM/CB antenna, the TV antenna, and though I haven't spotted it, there is a Sirius Radio antenna somewhere up there.

Thanks for the info, Russ. I'll probably wind up putting my ATAS 120 on the ladder in some fashion, if I can make it usable while on the road. Otherwise, I'll have to just deploy it at campsites, with the tripod arrangement I'm using now. 2M/440, of course, has more options -- perhaps some sort of mirror mount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom