Should My Motorhome be this Squirley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jearl

Hello, I've drivem most every kind of rig imaginable from Miami to Prudhoe Bay but have to say our 29' Minnie winnie the least stable vehicle I've driven down the road. I have made a point of loading properly, travelling without water, tire inflation and alignment. Now considering trac bars etc. to help. Interested in other folks opinions and recomendations. Oh, and sorry to all I might have "blown" off the road years ago RV ownership has really made me feel guilty for the stress I must have caused passing now fellow RV'ers if their rigs anything like mine ;)

Have you had a 4 corner weight done on the rig?  Proper tire inflation can only be accomplished when you know precisely what weight each axle position is carrying.  My rigs tire sticker recommended 110# in all tire positions.  I felt like I was driving a skate board down the road and it floated badly.  After the 4 corner weight I reduced the fronts to 95# and the rears to 85#.  It made a huge difference in the ride of the rig.

It seems very few people ever weight their MH's when they are packed up and ready to go...a major mistake. Unsafe for them, their passengers and you! Weigh your MH!!! That is the ONLY way to know how much air should be on your tires!

That's what I am going to do tomorrow or the next day.  Guess I will try the Flying J not to far from us.
I drove it empty and it was fine, now loaded down it swayed more then I liked.  I'm sure some of it was the crosswind that was blowing hard, but still going to check.  Then will redo tire pressures if necessary.  If still doing it when calm will consider other measures as described on this forum.

PatrioticStabilist said:
some of it was the crosswind that was blowing hard

My usually very stable rig gets challenging to drive in stiff cross winds.  These rigs are huge billboards and a stiff wind turns them into a sail.  Don't judge your rig until you can drive it without being blown around by crosswinds. 

Assuming proper tire inflation, loads balanced side to side, both axles loaded to the same approximate percentage (i.e., front axle is loaded to 85% of allowed weight, rear axle is loaded to 85% of allowed weight), and all suspension components are in good condition, I would consider after-market products. Henderson's Line-Up would be a good place to start.  Give them a call and discuss your handling issues with them.

Edit:  cross winds...  With our Howard Power Center Steering, we don't work very hard in most cross winds unless they are gusty.  Our chassis is extremely good natured and very easy to drive.

thanks all-you were supposed to give me ammo to tell the wife we need a Winnie pusher! ;D

It was blowing about 20 or 25 with 30 to 35 mph gusts.  One hit me that was really hard.

Jearl---don't apologize! My first RV was a short Class C. I spent half the time looking in the mirror watching for you fellows and learned exactly when I was going to need a steering correction to prevent an excursion to the shoulder--it just became automatic.
With the one I have now (33ft ClassA), it isn't bothered, except by gusty x-winds. But, follow the advice of the previous posters to see if it helps.  Tweedy

Thanks for all the replies. shocks sound like the simplest and least expensive place to start and with 33000 miles on the rig can probably justify replacement anyway. looking at Bilstiens and Koni. over 200.00 more for the Koni's and unsure weather to go with the smoothe ride or HD Bilstiens if end up pursuing them. What do you folks think? thx, Jim

What about "..proper tire inflation, loads balanced side to side, both axles loaded to the same approximate percentage (i.e., front axle is loaded to 85% of allowed weight, rear axle is loaded to 85% of allowed weight), and all suspension components are in good condition..."

You have weighed your rig and checked tire inflation, haven't you?

Yes, but it's been a while John and lord only knows how much more stuff the little woman has added weight wise. I was very concerned when I first got the rig that the front axle was light as it would slide backing down our driveway but weight (can't remember) ended up being substantial so I guess more than anything was feeling the effect of the very long overhang we have on the rear of the rig. I do plan to check and perhaps am just too fussy and/or need to take it a little easier. I have been driving pretty slowly as trying to hit 10mpg and have come close but not quite there. I think more than anything my discomfort fighting off a feeling of sway that in years past in other big rigs would have meant I was in big trouble. regardless, I am interested in seeing if the Bilstiens or Koni's will help my ride but to be honest have been skeptical of what shocks can do particularly on heavier axle loads. I am still interested in hearing any replies as to Bilstien vs. Koni particularly with the Koni's costing so much more. thanks again, Jim

Remember how I told you guys that hubby likes to work on things?  I had told him about the motorhome swaying in the wind and on really bad roads, well ok.  He says I can fix that.  He must have read all the stuff he can find.

So today I look at email, he is buying stuff.  It looks like I now have a Tru Center system coming, then a Trac bar for the back, and some air helper bags or springs for the back.

When he called I said whats all this, he said I'm going to take care of any swaying problem, wellll ok.  I said what about the air helper springs you ordered.  He tells me you air these up and they to help, I said but don't you have to do those manually? He tells me if you like them I will get a compressor and fix it so you push a button on the dash and you can also use the compressor to air up your tires if you need too.

Well didn't I tell you guys he likes doing this stuff?

So I guess I will report back on all this, he said it won't take him long to put this stuff on.  Then I am going to Strouhals for an alignment, not sure it needs it.  The guy there told me to weigh it first though before bringing it in.  So we shall see what all this does. We are holding off on the shocks I guess. I see you are considering those and he is thinking at 38000 we don't need them yet. 

jearl said:
Thanks for all the replies. shocks sound like the simplest and least expensive place to start and with 33000 miles on the rig can probably justify replacement anyway. looking at Bilstiens and Koni. over 200.00 more for the Koni's and unsure weather to go with the smoothe ride or HD Bilstiens if end up pursuing them. What do you folks think? thx, Jim

I seriously doubt that shocks are going to to much about your sway problem.  I would first assess if you have anti-sway bars installed, and then whether you have front or rear trac bars (pan-hard rod).  I would start with the former and move to the latter, front first, then rear for each.

I installed an ultratrac rear trac bar on my 35' gasser A and it made a dramatic difference in how it handles getting "pushed" by the passing rigs.

I sent pictures of the underneath of ours, yes he had me out under it taking pictures to send him!!    Anyway he said there is a factory installed bar in the back but not what he is putting and a deal in the front on this Winnebago, I'm guessing they all have that?  But he said these add ons are much better. I had suggested changing the shocks and my husband didn't think that would help either on this one.  I like the soft ride, he said if we put new ones on they would give a harder ride and I don't want that.  I really like the ride of it. He said he really likes the idea of the centering system.

It would be nice if shocks were the answer I agree.

Our Class C on the E450 chassis drove pretty similiar to what you describe...Although it's not a Winnie.

Ours is a 31' and had Firestone Rear Airbags.  We did the shock/alignment route as well.  Our unit has front and rear sway bars.  Shocks and alignment did nothing for the handling.  I just put on front airbags and it's miles better. 

Thread here...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=32410.0

In 1993 I bought a new 28' gas Bounder class A motor home and was planning on a 5,000 mile trip to the east coast after the initial short trip.  However, in just a mild side wind on the short trip that thing was all over the road - no way could I drive something like that 5,000 miles.  I purchased a Steer Safe (the one with the two springs that attach to each from wheel) from Camping World and what a difference that made.  The best $350 I would end up spending on that coach.  Made the 5,000 mile trip in complete comfort.

Wagonmaster2

Tom is in the process of putting on the back Trac Bar by Blue Ox and the Firestone air helper springs.  It has been so hot here he is out working on it for awhile then in to cool off.

He said he hopes to get those 2 items done tomorrow then we are taking it for a test drive to see how it does.  After that the tru center setup.

He has driven the coach and really likes it.  He got my Sirius radio in and all the wires tucked in under the dash and ran down behind the outside window strip.  I have a little remote for it too.  We all love Sirius, have it in my other truck, wonderful on long trips.

He is wanting to get a CB in for us too.  So many gadgets.  He has also bought a triple plug so more items can be plugged in the front then just one, it says no more then 10A, my GPS has to go there too.

Back
Top Bottom