12v Wiring mysteries...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

I have found three 12v power wires (yellow) and one 12v ground wire (white) under my dash that I am puzzled about  ?well, actually, what I can?t figure out is why they are not connected to anything.

The three power wires have a butt splice on the end that obviously has never been connected on the open end.  My only conclusion at this point is that these are ?extra? wires for options I don?t have?  I?m thinking I may use one of the hot wires for the power lead to my CB so that it will work with the ignition key off ?that would make it easier to use the built-in weather radio when we wanted to.

I have the Winnie wiring diagrams for my coach. One wire code is GT1 (16ga), one is WN1 (16ga), and one is LS1 (12ga) ? LS1 appears to be paired with the Ground Wire which is coded KF3 (16ga) and has a female spade connector on the end.  All three power wires are live with 12v power with the ignition key off.  I cannot find any explanation in the wiring codes breakout for the numerals after each code. Those numerals are not referenced anywhere in the wiring diagrams that I can tell for sure, unless it is on the sheet that matches specific wiring assemblies to coach models (ie. 40e, 38k, etc). Each wiring assembly has an eight digit part number and revision code. That number is on each wire along with the wire code.

According to the wiring code chart
GT goes FROM Radio Power Switch TO Radio For Memory Feed.
WN goes FROM Radio Power Switch TO Dash Radio for Accessory Power.
LS goes FROM Overcurrent Protection 20a breaker typical, coach feed TO General Purpose (Battery Mode, Radio Power, Battery Condition).
KF goes FROM Coach Battery Disconnect Relay Switch TO Ground

- My dash radio works fine, and always has. It if a Ford radio and connects via a standard wiring harness connector. The sheets do show several possible radio installations so perhaps these wires are for options I don?t have on mine.
- My coach battery disconnect switch works fine, and IS NOT located on or near the dash ? it is located by the entry door)

Any conclusions other than "for options my coach does not have installed" ??

They only make one wiring harness for all different models of the same car with all different options. Any wires not hooked up should go to an option that wasn't installed on your vehicle.

Do you have side cameras / rear camera? could be for those.

I dunno just throwing out ideas :)

Do you have a tester? Could possibly hook up on those cables and walk around. I doubt that the "pinger" would find it, but maybe

hook up on those cables
Hook 'em up to what ????  As I said, I did test them and found they are live with ignition off. (did discover that power to at least one of them is killed when I trip the radio power selector switch ...more on that below)

Figured out if I use one of the two radio leads for power to the CB radio, if/when I switch the radio power from HOUSE to CHASSIS that will kill power to the CB (maybe not on the "memory" line, but...). I don't think I would like it working that way, so hooked the CB to the LS coded wire ... the "Overcurrent Protection 20a breaker typical, coach feed" line. I doubt the CB needs a 20a breaker line, but the wiring diagram does indicate this line is for "radio power" among other things, and the CB does have it's own fuse inline just before the power line reaches the CB. So, now I have constant power to the CB ...whooeee!  If I had known this power line was there when I installed my dual band Ham rig I may have been able to use it then as the Icom radio requires a 20a fused line ...but I am probably better off with the direct lines I ran for it to the battery cables at the generator.

Well the kind of tester i thought of would be where the systems are off you put the load on the end you have found then you search with the other part to trace the cable and it makes sounds as it finds the cable. Low chance of working in an rv - works through walls in houses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom