Replacing internal hard drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Thanks Halo. Yes, I use XP on all my machines. Haven't used the files and settings transfer wizard, but I'll check it out. Any reason you have to use it often, or are you merely using it as a backup utility?

I don't use the My Documents folder for any of my files, music, or digital images. They're all in other directories and, for the most part, backed up.

Im the network admin for the company I work for and do constant upgrades and computer replacements at our 4 offices. Of course everyone wants not just their data but everything else down to the wallpaper, shortcuts and icons on their desktop exactly the same. The Settings and Transfer Wizard is the best of both worlds in that it sets up the new computer (or new hard drive), right down to shortcuts on the desktop the same as the old one plus its on a fresh install of Windows on the new computer or the new hard drive in your case. Thats the thing I cant stress enuff....all the imaging and backup products just copy your existing installation of Windows with all its errors, problems and quirks. The files and settings transfer wizard blends all your old docs and settings into a brand new windows install. THATS cool!

If all yours docs are backed up thats perfect as the wizard will just have to copy email, email account settings and general configurations for your profile. And then you can manually add your documents back in yourself. The only limitation to this is you will have to set up your network, internet or dial up connections again as well as reinstalling your programs. Thats minor stuff though compared to getting the email, desktop and wallpapersettings just right, lol.

As soon as my users see their familiar desktop they tend to be happy campers. The rest is just minor details.

The Windows wizard will only transfer settings for applications that it knows about, mostly Windows applications.  If you're using Firefox, Thunderbird, or other non-MS applications, it won't help.

Ned said:
The Windows wizard will only transfer settings for applications that it knows about

Thanks for the reminder of the question I was going to ask Ned. I have a number of apps that Windows doesn't appear to know about.

If your in need of a copy of Norton Ghost 10.0 check out buy.com they have it on sale for $60.00 with a $40.00 and 20.00 rebate plus free shipping this week. That sounds like a good deal to me.

http://www.buy.com/

Al Wax

Ron said:
...if its a Norton product it just can't be a GOOD deal.

Ron, since I've never used Norton Ghost, I'm keeping an open mind. I've used NAV and NIS for several years and have no complaints except the single machine limitation. I bought Norton PM based on a recommendation and it was a waste of money. Seems to me that folks blow hot and cold when it comes to various AV/security products and other apps. Someone will highly recommend something and later will recommend against it. I've watched this behavior with some amusement for many years.

Of course, software vendors are always playing leapfrog with their competitors. So, at any point in time, one will be the "best", only to be overtaken by one or more of their rivals. S/W vendors are also known to make a huge boo boo and introduce an upgrade that is really a retrograde step.

I was a very happy Norton customer till about 2003 when they decides their customers couldn't be trusted so they started using a copy protection scheme, Comcast or something like that, which can cause some weird happening on your system.  I tried to live with it since but will not buy another Norton product unless they change their ways.  Even back in 2003 I recommended Norton but as we get older and more experience we tend to get wiser.

I've never tried to copy Norton's CDs, but it sounds like the copy protection is linked to their 1-computer per purchase policy.

It a program they put on your drive without telling you when you install Norton.  Supposedly harmless but in fact can and does sometimes cause problems.  Ned can probably give more detailed info on this.

Symantec did add DRM software to the Norton products in 2003 but I don't know what particular one they used.  I haven't used any Symantec products for at least 2 years, mostly because they became to bloated with excess features that didn't work as well as more focused products.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom