EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Renting out your RV  (Read 32151 times)

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
Re: Renting out your RV
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
Does this 'Conversion' rule apply to the rental car companies, i.e. if a vehicle is not returned, the law will not treat it as a theft and apprehend the perp?  Seems like the theft rate would be astronomcal if that is the rule.

Yes.  I was a manager for one of the big boys for 18 years.

To be clear....conversion is a crime, and yes the police will seize the vehicle and arrest the perpetrator.  It doesn't carry quite the same legal gravity as out right theft, but conversion is a felony, and they can draw substantial prison time for it.

Losses occur one of two ways....theft, ie the vehicle is stolen off the lot, from a customer, or internally (by an employee).  The second way is conversion.  Neither is all that common, and it wasn't unusual to recover a vehicle two days later......or sometimes years after it went missing.  Sometimes someone rents a car for two days on a cheap weekend rate knowing they will need it for a month, but can't afford the month.  They keep it for the month and then dump it on the lot in the middle of the night, or sometimes leave it at Wal-Mart, a mall, etc and just abandon it.

What DOES happen a lot is someone rents a car and then loans it out to a friend, relative, etc.....who absconds with the vehicle.  To answer your next question, the renter is potentially on the hook for the full retail value of the vehicle, and when (if) it's recovered, they're on the hook for the entire time it was gone plus any damages and the down time to repair them.  I've seen cases where someone rented a car for a weekend, loaned it out, and they were bankrupt 3 months later. 
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

GoRVnow

• GoRVnow
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
I think there is a substantial "sharing economy" out there, and GoRVNow is trying to cash in on it. Some people do trade swap their houses & apartments, share rides,, etc.  I just do not care to be part of it, for all the reasons others have cited.

Most of the people responding here are frequent RVers and it probably makes little sense for any of us to rent out an RV for the occasional week or two when we aren't using it. Part of the attraction of owning an RV is so that we don't have to pack & unpack each and every time you want to take a few days off.  That's not so much a factor if you only use the RV a couple weeks each summer, so a rental service makes more sense for that type of owner.  It's just not me.
Thanks Gary for your views.  Maybe www.uber.com was not a good comparison but https://getmyboat.com/  is  (Boats have high ownership costs with sometimes little use).

35,000 boat owners in 143 countries have signed up to rent their boats.   Airbnb has 1.5 million properties listed in 190 plus countries with over 40 million total guest stays.  That is the new "sharing economy."
Need an RV? Rent one! | Have an RV? Share it!
https://www.GoRVnow.com/
The Airbnb of RVs

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
Thanks Gary for your views.  Maybe www.uber.com was not a good comparison but https://getmyboat.com/  is  (Boats have high ownership costs with sometimes little use).

35,000 boat owners in 143 countries have signed up to rent their boats.   Airbnb has 1.5 million properties listed in 190 plus countries with over 40 million total guest stays.  That is the new "sharing economy."
Good for them. I still don't see a upside as an owner. I never was good at sharing.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Hear is a link to a news/promotional article.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/20/millennialsinairstreamsatburningmanasaservice/#.fcpouh:eDCu

If they can make $85,000 a year renting a motorhome why are they not buying a fleet to have a stable supply to rent out?
Bill
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:30:19 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

GoRVnow

• GoRVnow
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
Clearly the $85,000 a year was an extreme exaggeration.  Realistically an owner could average $1000 a month renting their RV and maybe more in a tourist destination.  I have shared my campers with people from all over the country and have not had any bad experiences.  Although I deliver and set them up for the renters at campsites that they book.  My sharing has allowed many people to experience camping in an RV that would otherwise never have the opportunity.  Some of the people I've shared with were an 80 year old couple from Minnesota that loved to RV but could no longer handle the driving and setting up at the campground. They have been back three years in a row.  Another time their was a couple from out west heading here to be Work-campers when their rig broke down.  I was able to share mine with them so they could fulfill their commitment while their rig was fixed.  It took about 6 weeks for them to get their rig back.  Others already owned RVs, but it was easier to just show up for a short Beach vacation and have a camper hooked up and ready to go.  Also, many first timers have then went on to buy their own RVs.  I can't see a down side helping others...
Need an RV? Rent one! | Have an RV? Share it!
https://www.GoRVnow.com/
The Airbnb of RVs

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »
I have rented in late '90's some 28 footer class C from individual and the cost was $900/week !
The dealers rented the same size and same class for $1500/week !

So, I think that you are way OFF the renting price of a rv !
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

steve407

• ---
  • Our Little House on the Prairie - Big Bertha.
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »
" Although I deliver and set them up for the renters at campsites that they book. "

I kept waiting for someone to say what "GoRVNow" said, which is they can rent it, but they can't drive it. The rental company (person) will drive it and set it up at the campground of their choice, they stay in it, then the rental company comes and does tear down and drive away. If they want to go to more than one campground, there is a set of fees each time it's moved. This would be much more analagous to an AirBnB type setup. 

I see a 'rookie' driver doing terrible things to a 40' DP when they drive a Chevy Cruze to work everyday and haven't ever driven anything like a Class A.  Just staying in it only, well then it's just a case of how messy are they and do they leave things alone (i.e., no gerfinger plinkin of every button they see.) Put a locked door over control panels, slide buttons, etc. With a damage deposit, rental fee, a setup/teardown fee, and a cleaning fee, this really wouldn't be something that a lot of people can afford.  You would likely get a better clientele. Of course the flip side is they are a person who figures they spent ALL that money, they'll get their money's worth and do some damage.  Happens every year in the spring break hotels, bike week, anyplace there's drinking and fun.

Bottom line: I think it's dicey to do it, but if you don't have materialistic attachment to the RV, then it wouldn't matter.

Someplace new is always just around the next curve. 
2012 Coachman Pathfinder Elite 39' DP, AirForce1, BlueOx Towbar
2012 GMC Terrain Toad
DW=She who must be obeyed
and Freckles the Dalmatian

marksmotorhome

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
Renting isn't for everyone, but for owners like me who can use the extra cash it's worked out really well. I haven't had any problems with renters, most of them return my coach cleaner than when it left. I've had success renting my RV on http://www.rvshare.com/list-your-rv and http://www.craigslist.org. If you want some pointers on things to avoid let me know I have a lot of experience.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:09 PM »
Interesting, first post, spent 10 minuets filling out minimal profile and making 1 post. 
I should trust him to be honest about renting out my motorhome for fun and profit.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
Greetings,

My thoughts too Wildebill308 on first post. There was someone here who was wanting the community here to rent out their RV's and it seems to me that they might be trying to paint a picture that might change the minds of some that are thinking about it one way or the other.

One thought over renting might be for two or more people to buy and schedual the use of an RV. You'd have to lay down fair practices. I myself would want an RV in winter time to travel south. Then again in Summer one month. If you could find people wanting the RV at certain times that would not clash, then you might have a workable system that would keep costs down. Everyone would have to pay for maintaining the RV and buying tires, repairs when necessary.

There might be some legal issue to work out. Still not as nice as owning your own and taking anytime you saw fit.
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

velcrostrip

• ---
  • I Love RV's
    • LuckyRV.com RV Rentals
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
MBAinsurance.net provides insurance and RentMyBudgetRV.com has a great site for renting it out.
http://LuckyRV.com is the best place to rent your RV out. Cheaper, safer and more secure.
LuckyRV.com
The Best place to list your RV for rent

sandy1970c

• 2011 Avanti
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
My experience with renting out my RV summer 2017.  I used RVshare to rent it out.  I have one RV, my personal one that I use for travel.  I was very optimistic about it, but it is very risky.  My renters were very affluent, educated and upstanding, but there are still issues.  It's not that people are trying to break things, they just are ignorant about how to use an RV properly.  I put a book with step by step instructions for EVERYTHING.  However, they don't read it, or they don't follow it.
  • Prep - Washing and cleaning the RV each time for rental is a chore, plus, you need to check that everything is working properly
  • Training - renters come over, and I spent at least an hour training them and giving them a test drive, plus showed them the books and my instruction manual, which were always in the RV.  You have to do paperwork with them at that time.
  • Pickup - it was easy for me as they could leave their car at my place
  • Return - This is the problem.  Testing all systems takes at least 3 hours, so discovering everything and writing it on their check out form is almost impossible.  People don't tell you if they broke something.
I rented out 6 times.  Three of the times there were no issues, the other three were headaches. Here's what they damaged:
Renter #2 - Did not level RV before putting out slide room - It messed it up so it wouldn't go out - motors had to be re-synched.  This renter also put a bike rack on the back and scratched the paint on the back.  He also messed up the table, and put it back so I wouldn't notice at check out.
Renter #3 - Backed into bushes and scratched back (what makes it bad is there is a rear view camera)
Renter #6 - Child flushed paper towel down macerator toilet which jammed the blades, whole thing had to be taken out to repair. they burned up a brand new $60 skillet, and they also left AC on when power wasn't present - this ruined the compressor. Repair bill for this rental was over $1400.

I think renting could be a good thing if you have an older RV that you don't really care about getting beat up.  Mine is a 2011, and I plan on using it a long time.  You may think, well, you're going to have some repairs, but kids will do things you don't expect.  What is so stressful is making sure it is ready for the next renter.  I made sure everything was fixed again each time, and the good Lord helped me with that.  I had a 7th renter signed up for next week, but I don't think the AC will get here in time.  They have had it reserved for months, and now it's probably too late for them to rent another one.

Make no mistake, renting out your RV is a JOB!  I do not plan on ever doing it again.  For the work and hours I put in, it is not worth the money.  By the way, mine rented for $250 per night.  From May 24 to end of July I ended up netting around $2500.  It could have been $4000 if the last rental took place. It was rented the full month of July.

I wanted to share this because I thought it might help someone out.  RVshare was good to work with, and they handled the money and deposits wonderfully.  My biggest tip is to wait before you complete the online checkout form for them.  You have 3 days to discover damage, take pics, and get quotes.  As to the insurance, the supplemental coverage that renters purchase only covers the vehicle, none of the inside systems.

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
I'm curious as to what happens if it breaks down or a major component stops working while under rental.  Seems like extra headaches for you.  I know,not what you were asking.  Would you have to arrange towing or mobile repairs?  Suppose they need a hotel? 

I've spent hours here trying to learn everything I need to know.  I can't imagine most people remembering it all in one orientation.  And fixing RVs is not like fixing a rental property.  You can't get replacement parts at Home Depot.

If I had a rig I didn't care too much about I can't imagine anybody wanting to rent it.  If I had a rig I cared about,which I do, nobody else is touching it. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »
I think that what we owe the OP is the answer to his insurance question and perhaps the suggestion to call Progressive is all that is needed here.  It is clear that this forum community thinks it is a bad idea as the overwhelming majority of us feel, and many have shared.  To be fair to the OP consider this possibility for the OP: what if this older MH is not for driving around the country and is really a full time home for someone who is not able to afford any more.  If I had an older MH that I did not care much for, I might consider it just another rental unit, like the rental homes that I already own.  It would, in this case, be set up in some park and used to live in. I wouldn't have the same concerns for how it was maintained as if I planned to travel in it myself. We don't fully understand the motivation of the OP, so let's be careful not to read into this what we would be doing with the RV we love as our own. There could be some agent involved in cleaning and maintaining it.  The security deposit could be more substantial with a detailed contract if it were to be used for driving any distance.  It could be used to rent only to ones relatives who he trusts perfectly (not to say that I have any such relatives). I cannot speak to the economics of this, but I expect that the OP has been thinking about it.

Certainly there are people who own 1/4 shares arrangements for condos in vacation property that experience this regularly.  Having done this once in Otter Crest,OR I learned that such sharing was not for me, but there are plenty of people who have done this successfully.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
I suspect the OP found his answer sometime back in 2010 when he originally asked the question.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Hmm... I expect you are right.  I need to pay more attention to those dates.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Hosted by Over The Network