EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Traveling Through Quebec  (Read 21159 times)

hpykmpr

• ---
Traveling Through Quebec
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »
On June 3rd we will be leaving Florida bound for Nova Scotia. The route we have planned this year takes us across the border in the Niagara falls area through Ont. and Quebec. My question or concerns, if you will ,are neither my wife nor I speak any French. I am a Canadian citizen living there for the first 38 years of my life but never traveling to Quebec so I don't know what to expect .I know we have been told that most of the people can't or wont speak English but I don't know if this is true or not.What kind of problems  have others ran into and what should we be expecting.We would like to spend a couple days in Montreal and a couple in Quebec city while passing through so I hope the language issue don't pose too much of a problem.I have read most of the topics concerning traveling through Quebec in this forum but I guess I would like some newer opinions . Any and all responses on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks , Alan

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Traveling Through Quebec
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:01:04 AM »
If you can at least muster a few phrases in French you'll get a much better reception and stand a better chance of getting a response to your questions whilst in Quebec province. Forum staffer Steve put together a list of some useful words and phrases for communicating in Quebec.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gypsy Rovers

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
Alan, we spent about three weeks wandering through Quebec last summer, from cities to rural and small towns around the Gaspe peninsula we had no problems at all.  It seems there had been a shift in attitudes towards anglophones over the last few years, perhaps they realize that tourists bring $$.  We encountered very few people who didn't speak some English and those that didn't a few basic words of French and lots of gestures and chuckles solved the problems.  As Tom suggested a few words to open the conversation really does help.

If you're going to Quebec city, leave lots of time to explore old Quebec, it's fantastic.

Cheers
Dale
2008 Phaeton 40' (The Gypsy Rover)
2006 Saturn Vue  toad
1983 Honda GL1100A Aspencade

Over the years I've found there is seldom only one right way!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
I second Dale's recommendation for Old Quebec. There are a number of other attractions within an easy drive that are also worth a visit.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
My husband and I were in Quebec last summer/fall, so our experience is very recent.  Like you we were concerned about the "no english" rumors.  If you print out the list that Tom suggested and take it along with you, you'll not have any problems.  We traveled from the Niagara Falls area through Toronto, Montreal and then to Old Quebec City.  Quebec City is NOT to be missed.  It is beautiful and is one of the highlights of our trip.  Infact we routed ourselves back through Quebec City coming home.  We then went on around the entire point of Gaspe` Peninsula.  The only problem we had was a little town going around the Peninsula at a gas station.  WE didn't know which area they wanted up to pull into for RVs.  I went into the station and no one spoke english.  The word diesel is the same for French and English and "motorise" (?spelling) is the word for motor home.  So I held up my Visa card, said "Diesel, motorise, Visa" and they all laughted and pointed to which pumps we were supposed to use.  Everyone was very friendly and helpful; especially if you try some of their french words. 

If you stay in Montreal, there is a very nice campground outside of the city that is run by english speaking.  And in Quebec City I would recommend staying across the river and taking a ferry across.  The ferry arrives and departs right in the heart of Old Quebec making it very easy to get around.  If you would like the names of the campgrounds I can get them for you.  My  husband keeps a very detailed log of all our trips.   :D   Have fun, we would go back in a heartbeat!  Old Quebec City and Newfoundland were our favorites.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
Scroll down through this album in our forum photo gallery to see a few pictures taken in and around Old Quebec.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Marc...

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
We've been to eastern Canada several times and people definitely are more friendly in the French-speaking areas than previously.  I agree with what the others said, but would add to learn something about French highway signs.  West of Quebec we took what appeared to be a good route until we came upon construction barriers and gigantic and serious yellow signs that told us something - but what???  I was driving at the time and we couldn't understand a single word on the signs.  It was disconcerting, to say the least.  For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!  There is a certain age group that does not know English because for about 20 years they were not allowed to learn it or teach it.  Nevertheless, most people were friendly and the younger ones wanted to speak English with us.  I would say that if you can find campgrounds advertising that they cater to English-speaking people (Trailer Life Campground Directory has such ads) it will help immensely because they can tell you how to find places and what is not to be missed.  If you meet people who have lived in the US they'll likely be of great help.  Hope you have a wonderful trip!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
LOL Ardra, we had the same issue with road safety signs around Montreal.

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:34:18 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all of the great replies to this post.I have read the section in the Library that Tom mentioned and have been looking for good web pages that will give me a heads up on the highway signage there but have not found any that were too much good as of yet but plan to keep looking . Thanks Marsha and yes we would appreciate very much any advice you would be willing to provide us about good RV  parks in Quebec that you used on your trips through. Thanks again ,Alan

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »
You can check road conditions for the province of Québec here:  http://www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca/en/.  That page also has a link for bridge restrictions as well, which can come in handy if you want to keep your air conditioner on the roof.

In a lot of Provinces including Québec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, you can also call 511 ahead of time for road constructions.  I don't know if the service is bilingual or not in Québec.  I live in New Brunswick, so when I dial 511, I get the one for New Brunswick.

Most provinces have construction information on their website as well as far as provincial and national highways are concerned, however it will not include city streets that are not part of the provincial or national network.  Most municipalities big enough to have a decent website would have that information there.
Marc...

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »
    As is our habit, on our way back from the south, we usually set up just outside Ottawa and our daughter, son in law, and their 2 kids meet us for the week end.  This time we were about 75 miles up the Ottawa River which is the border between Ontario and Quebec.  We took a drive, ended up in Quebec went in for a few groceries, etc and were shocked that everyone, locals, clerks, were all speaking english.  I haven't seen that in our travels for many years, but if someone spoke french they quickly reverted to french with perfect accent.  I thought we'd somehow crossed into New Brunswick.
   As for running into difficulties, a little patience, a few hand signs, keep a cool head about traffic signs, and you won't run into any problems.  There are lots of RV'rs amongst Quebecers.  They are a friendly cordial group, and try their utmost to be helpful.Little things will surprise or annoy, such as a western sandwich will arrive with mayo on it, but local delights are a must try.
     Some major pieces of advice is to gas/diesel up in Ontario before crossing as fuel is much more expensive.  But on the other hand, beer and wine is far cheaper, so load up before heading out as you'll find it is almost twice the price in the Atlantic.
    Enjoy

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

threeful

• ---
  • Zoey the Road Trip Lover
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
One place I would recommend is going to Les Chocolats Favoris in Levis across the river from Quebec City (below is a better description).  Make sure you get a an ice cream dipped in the chocolate made there.  They make a fabulous dark and milk chocolate.

Suggest you have lunch in the little restaurant across the street (forget the name) and ice cream @ Les Chocolats Favoris.  Best dipped ice cream cone in the world!!!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Quebec/Levis-907334/Restaurants-Levis-BR-1.html#0
Bill T
Central PA
2003 Sierra Fifth Wheel
2004.5 2500 Dodge 4x4

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »
Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

And the campground for Old Quebec City is here

Camping Transit is outside of Quebec City, but the ferry is nearby and very handy.  If you read Betty Brewer's log as well as Ardra's recap, they give some very good information and list a couple other campgrounds near Old Quebec City.  What we liked about Camping Transit is that when we were ready to leave, we just hopped on the freeway and we were on our way.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Marsha~

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
Thank you Marsha we really appreciate your giving us this info and I   hope you both have safe travels wherever you are headed this summer.   Alan

Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

And the campground for Old Quebec City is here

Camping Transit is outside of Quebec City, but the ferry is nearby and very handy.  If you read Betty Brewer's log as well as Ardra's recap, they give some very good information and list a couple other campgrounds near Old Quebec City.  What we liked about Camping Transit is that when we were ready to leave, we just hopped on the freeway and we were on our way.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Marsha~
edit: fixed quote
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:54:37 AM by Tom »

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »
     I forgot to mention, if you have any Irish heritage, the major entry point into North America from the Irish Famine was an Island just down river from Quebec City.  Here is their website:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/qc/grosseile/index.aspx

As you formalize plans and have any questions, please post them.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »
Marsha Wrote: Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

Heh heh,   This campground may be very nice but it is actually quite far from Montreal itself. It is on the "South Shore" of the St Lawrence River. (Fleuve St-Laurent) in Beleoil. If you are coming from the US Border NY, or Vermont) it would be fine but...

If you are coming from Ontario or western NY it is not practical.

Important highway language: Most route signs have the direction like 40 O(uest), 40 W(est); 40 E(st), east; 15 N(ord), north; 15 S(ud), south. (West is the only oddball one!!) Odd numbers are N-S roads; Even numbers, E-W; 3 digit numbers, (ie 540), feeders, connectors or bypasses (to hwy 40 in this example).

We measure in KM in Canada(Kilometres) 100KM= 60 MPH (Hint, multiply km by .6 or look at the smaller numbers on your USA speedometers). We measure Gas in Litres which are "about" = to 1 US Quart (4L = "about" 1 US Gal) . Temperatures are measured in
ºC(elcius): Fast Calculation ...double the ºC temp and add 32 (eg 20*2 = 40 + 32 = 72ºF) close enough!!! (Us old-timers who grew up with the old imperial system always find quick ways to recalculate when necessary.)

(Someday the USA will catch up with the rest of the world.  heh heh!!)

Pictograms are used on many signs, most are obvious after thinking about it.

One anomaly, there are NO right turns on red on the Island of Montreal but are allowed elsewhere in the province unless the signs say otherwise. Signs (pictograms) indicating this are located at each of the bridges to Montreal but are seldom, if ever, found on the island roads themselves.  The verbose signs in French only can be worrisome. I wish I had some examples but I can't think of any at the moment.

As to Canada being bilingual, well.... New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province, Quebec is French, however Ontario does a good job, at least in the eastern portion, on bilingual road signs. Further west (Manitoba-BC) Bilingual?? What's that mean????
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:18:55 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
Alfa38user,  you missed my point.  ;D The campground is English speaking, that was the OP concern and why I suggested it.  And I did say "outside" of the city.

Marsha~ 

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:18 AM »
Once again thanks to everyone who replied and for all of the great info. We are on our way early tomorrow morning, if all goes according to plan, with the first stop being Dothan Alabama. Marsha we were able to get a reservation in the campground you suggested near Quebec city,  Thanks for that info. Montreal we are going to pass on this time so we can spend more time in Ottawa and Quebec city. Maybe next time .Take care all , Alan

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
Alfa38user,  you missed my point.  ;D The campground is English speaking, that was the OP concern and why I suggested it.  And I did say "outside" of the city.

Marsha~

No, I don't think so Marsha!!!  Most people in this line of work, at least in the Montreal area, would likely have enough English to be understood or would have staff who spoke it sufficiently. The same may not be true in the Quebec City area.     (Lifelong English speaking Montrealer !!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:12:56 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
Just a thought, with respect to all Quebecois..

You only speak English and the store only speaks French.. no deal most/some of the time.

What if...if you walked in with a wad of money in your fist. Then you say "I speak English only".
Would they turn you away or come up with someone that speaks English?

Would be a good experiment. After all Quebec is not another Nation. I have lived in Canada for 30 years..never could figure it out.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
   Hey, it is not unique to Canada.  Donna and I went into a national chain fast food store for lunch in El Centro, on our way to the Air Show in March.  After about 5 minut6es of being totally misunderstood by a virtually uni lingual Spanish young lady , I was turning to leave when her supervisor decided to see what the problem was and fixed the order in about 30 seconds.  Sorry, while I do have some competency in French, I have none in Spanish.
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
Just a thought, with respect to all Quebecois..

Snipped

After all Quebec is not another Nation.

snipped...

carson FL

At least not yet anyway heh,heh... Much to the consternation of a certain minority of Quebecers.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 07:23:11 AM »
     On our way into Montreal yesterday, I did have the following thoughts. 
     1)  Depending on where you end up staying in the Montreal area, try to avoid the Metropolitan Blvd, HWY 40, particularly from Dacarie (Hwy 15) heading east.  Due to construction, we spent over an hour going about 5 miles leading up to Hwy 15, and it looked worse heading east from there. 
     2)  If you have the time, Hwy 138 from Montreal to Quebec city, and Hwy 132 from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup are very picturesque. However, both are 2 lane, and go through all the old towns & farms along the river. 
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
If you have the time, Hwy 138 from Montreal to Quebec city, and Hwy 132 from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup are very picturesque. However, both are 2 lane, and go through all the old towns & farms along the river.

If a choice has to be made in the interests of time, the preferale and more picturesque route would be 132 from Quebec City to Riviere Du Loup.  L'Islet has a wonderful old maritime museum, St. Jean Port Joli has several wood carvers who make a style of wood sculpture unique to Quebec and not found anywhere else.  Knock offs sold in the Old Town of Quebec City should be avoided and the real thing should be sought out in Riviere Du Loup.

The town of La Pocatiere has a historic museum of of the area located in the old College, and the town of Kamouraska should be visited to experience the architecture and ambience of old Quebec.  Kamouraska also boasts numerous good restuarants as well as a fabulous bakery cross from the Church.  Nearby is a famous seafood store selling eels and smoked salmon.  If you are really lucky in Kamouraska, ask if the farm tractor museum can be seen.  It's a private museum, but sometimes the owner will takes visitors on a tour.

Between La Pocatiere and St. Denis is a cut off that takes you to the old Quaie or pier at Riviere Ouelle where you can see the river, which is 35 miles wide at that point and has tides.  You need to ask about the vieux quaie  or the old pier, because it is not in the town of Riviere Ouelle.

However the town of Riviere Ouelle has a great campground with good hookups and it is located on the river side, allowing easy day trips to all the places I've mentioned. 

In the area of La Pocatiere you will hear motors whining in the background in the fields.  These are the harvesters of peat moss, and these companies export peat moss all over the world including most of the supply in the U.S.

Good grocery shopping can be done in La Pocatiere where there are several large super markets.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
    I'd second Steve comments regarding the Lower St Lawrence (Bas St Laurent).  Unfortunately it is not the right time of the year, but for you bird lovers, when the snow geese are migrating, it presents a very unique sight of tens of thousands of geese on the river taking off or flying in unison.  We saw them in a town called Montmagmy, which is just one more picturesque little villages along the river.
    Looking at maps after my posting this morning, and we may well head to Quebec from Ottawa taking Route 50 across the top of Montreal, then cut into Hwy 40, or 138 east of Montreal.  It too is mostly 2 lane, but is not plagued with the construction that never seems to avoided on the island of Montreal.
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »
Well it won't be long now. we crossed the border yesterday with no problems ,showed our pass ports and they asked us twice if we had any firearms on board,never mentioned food alcohol or pets . We spent the day in Niagara Falls the place sure has changed since we were there 12 years ago. tomorrow morning we are off early to Ottawa for three nights and then on to Quebec city for three nights.Thanks to everyone for all of the info on Quebec it is all appreciated . Alan

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
    We did go the Quebec route that I suggested and I think it was worth the extra distance.  We went 50 to 148, back to 50, to 15, to 640, to 40, and then to 138 for most of the way from Trois Riviere to Camp Transit.  A lot of 2 lane road, but none of the stop and go that we ha getting only a quarter of the way into Montreal.
    We're off to see the Irish Memorial tomorrow.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
    We did go the Quebec route that I suggested and I think it was worth the extra distance.  We went 50 to 148, back to 50, to 15, to 640, to 40, and then to 138 for most of the way from Trois Riviere to Camp Transit.  A lot of 2 lane road, but none of the stop and go that we ha getting only a quarter of the way into Montreal.
    We're off to see the Irish Memorial tomorrow.

Ed

It sure is a small world. we arrived at Camp Transit about 1 1/2 hours ago from Alfred Ont. through Montreal ,Wow what a trip ,sure a lot of rough road. We are in lot 194 ,what part of the park are you in.? Alan

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
   We just got back from our day at the Irish memorial are having supper then early to bed.  We're in lot 153, maybe coffee in the morning before we head out.  Sorry no cell phone, but will check the forum in the morning.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
   We just got back from our day at the Irish memorial are having supper then early to bed.  We're in lot 153, maybe coffee in the morning before we head out.  Sorry no cell phone, but will check the forum in the morning.

Ed

Thanks Ed for coming to find our lot this morning, Bonnie and I really enjoyed talking with you and Donna. We enjoyed our visit to  Old Quebec except for the fact that it was over run with school children ,it must have been class trip day and they all went to Quebec. Take care and safe traveling. Alan

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Well here we are in Woodstock New Brunswick.Survived our trip through Quebec without problems although the roads were quite rough with some exceptions.The people we came in contact with were fore the most part quite friendly and willing to talk to us in English,that is after we tried our limited knowledge of french on them. my wife did great with conversing and translating the highway signs sure does make it a lot easier when you have a good navigator.Thanks to Marsha on the suggestion for the Park in Levis,other than the highway noise it was A1. Highway noise seems to be the rule rather than the exception for a lot of parks along the major highways. Tonight we are on the banks of the St John river in Woodstock beautiful but rather warm ,tomorrow on to Nova Scotia. Alan

Msbudlite

• ---
  • 2002 Georgie Boy - Landau - 34'
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
Hi, we would like to travel from Montreal too Baie St Paul.  I was wondering if this is an extremely mountainous region.  We have a 34' Motorhome.

Thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
The 'mountainous' areas start after Baie St-Paul but between Quebec City and Baie St-Paul there are some 'nice' hills, no problem for an otherwise good vehicle. The biggest hill is right at Baie St-Paul as you decend into town, if my memory serves me right.

I would use Autoroute (Aut or A) 40 all the way to Quebec City. You could use the 20 (via the South Shore) but you will have to cross a bridge or tunnel here and the bridge at Quebec. (South Shore Bridges and the tunnel are problematic here right now because of all the construction.) Avoid rush hours at all costs!!

You could avoid Montreal by using highway 30 to the 20 (south shore) or 13 to 640 on the North Shore but where is the fun in that!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:12:52 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
hwy 30 too hwy 40 sounds like the best plan.  hwy 30 is at my back door...:)

Thank you for answering.

We all know Motorhomes are only as good as their transmission!  lol

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Unless you go west to Vaudreuil, I can't see how you can go from highway 30 to the 40 easily. You can easily get to the 20 from the 30 by travelling east on the 30 and watching for the exit.

You can cross the river to the 40 by ferry at Sorel (but not sure about a motor home though) or you can cross bridges at Trois-Rivieres or Quebec City. I seem to remember from a previous discussion you are from the South Shore. For my way of thinking, using the Louis-Hippolyte tunnel straight up to the 40 would be the easiest from the South Shore, outside of the morning rush hour.

Heh heh, maybe just I don't know the roads well enough even though I am from Mtl  (West Island) too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:26:55 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
We are on Ile Perrot and hwy30 is minutes away.  So, we would go hwy 30 too hwy 20?  Not hwy 40?

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
Ahh, Ile Perrot... Just use the  20, cross the bridge to Ste Annes, Get off the bridge at 1st exit, cross under the 20, follow Veterans Blvd, keeping right, the 40 is right there. Travel that route all the time!! There are several miles of construction but east bound is usually not a problem except at morning rush hour. Travel straight thru using Metropolitan Blvd, again outside of the rush.

Or go to the 40 via Dorion and the 20. (You may hit a mile or two of the 30, not sure since the new part of the 30 is really the 540 renamed and it joins the 20 and 40  together at that point).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:59:42 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
Is it better to go via hwy40?  We are very close too hwy30.

Thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
I think so, the 40 takes you all the way to Quebec City. Myself, I would take the 40 to the 13N (Mirabel) to the 640 bypassing all the heavy Mtl traffic. 640 rejoins the 40 at Charlemagne a bit past the east end of Mtl Island. (I have travelled that route very often in the past.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:55:11 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
Thank you, sounds good.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Have a good trip!!! While you are that far east try to get in some whale watching. We went as far as the Saguenay quite a few times (by car). My wife had an aunt who lived in the Convent in Baie St-Paul and whom we visited there....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:12:25 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »
Here is something for you and youll never be hungry, you stop by one of the million belle province restaurant and you just say...

, jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

With this you are well equipped as long as you like hot dogs  lol

dont worry for the english language you will be fine especially nearby big city, if you want you can live in english only in montreal , and the tourism is so important in quebec city that you wont have any problem.

the problem around here arent the peoples, its the politician .....enjoy your trip in la belle province where you can get a bit of europe

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 05:17:40 AM »
Love hotdogs and La Belle...:)

thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

Wow!!! I did not think I sounded quite like that... heh heh ;D

L'anglais...

Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Franglais/Frenglish....

lol....it's all good.

:)

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
You see guys 2 mn and the party start....dont worry come and see the frenchie and enjoy the difference but remember you can come in contact with a moron....they are everywhere.... :) they are the exception ! I think lol

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
People are people and there are morons in every language.

RV people basically love everyone. 

Enjoy your life.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
I used to travel for work in the pulp and paper industry, which took me to Canada several times.  Never to QC though.... but I did connect flights in Montreal once or twice.  I was so not impressed with their efforts to make me feel NOT welcome I vowed I would never go there to spend money.  A vow I may some day break, since I've heard many nice things about the old city, as was mentioned here.....
It seemed that they had spent infinitely more effort to put the English language signage smaller and under the french, that they neglected to put any valuable information on many of the signs!  Hey, a picture will often do with no English at all..... but instead they had to make it obvious that they didn't welcome English.
I've felt more welcome in rural Findland travelling alone where nobody spoke a word of English and there were no english signs at all....!

makes me think of another story
I traveleled to small towns in Scandanavia on a few occasions while working for a Swedish owned company.  Folks in big cities there speak English, and they even have English menus in the resteraunts.... but not always in small towns.  Once travelling with a coworkerker from QC, we would jointly translate enough of the menus to get by..... using my English and his French.  Once, we went into a Chinese resteraunt.  I'm used to them speaking bad English here, but there they spoke bad Swedish.  That was a real weird thing....  I still shake my head about it trying to wake up..... Anyway, they had to get a kitchen worker there to come take our order as none of the wait staff or front folks could speak a word of English.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
I have lived in Queerbec since 1955.  When the separatists got in in the 70's English went too hell.  It is so much better now!  But I've always been told that Montreal has the real language issue.  Quebec City is absolutely wonderful!  And, always has been.  Rural Quebec is basically French but not many separatists.  They just speak French nothing more and nothing less.  Quebec is a beautiful province especially eastern Quebec.  Please come and visit.  I spend plenty in the USA.......lol

blw2

• ---
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
  I spend plenty in the USA.......lol

LOL... yeah that was a long time ago for me, and I'm no longer holding a grudge  ;)
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
You really have to understand some of the history and the politics to understand where/why all this got started. Not that I condone or even agree with it but... The early requirements of Bill 101 (early 70's ?) were balanced and reasonable but political expediency and vote hunger took over later on (IMHO).

I was born here in 1939  and have lived here all my life, and even I do not understand where the extremists are coming from at times.  I did happen to serve some tours as a military armed guard during the bomb threats and the kidnappings that eventually resulted in the declaration of martial law in Oct 1970. It was not one of my favourite jobs. In my civilian day job, I was working in some of the buildings under guard.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:51:58 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
   We've wintered in the Tampa Bay area for all but one year for the past 9 years.  We really like the area as it does provide a lot of things to do and it has a lot of amenities that we didn't find the year we wintered in Arizona.  However, we have never been by the Bay Bayou.  It is not located in an area we would consider hogh on our preferred locations.  It is well inland and I'd guess well over a half hour to the gulf beaches.  We prefer the St Pete/Clearwater side of the Bay, but that is a personal preference.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »
I was looking in that area but there are so many choices it's hard to decide and know which are nice and which are not.  Which ones would you suggest and may I ask what your cost of gas is, one way.  We have been too Tampa many times by plane but never camped there.

Thanks

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
We tow a little 2002 Tracker.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
    Any place you get to in the Tampa area will have good weather, and lots to see and do.  We always stayed at Robert's RV and Mobile Home park in St Petes:  http://www.robertsrv.com/  it provides basic sites, with a pool, it is clean, and lots of in park activities, but it isn't high end.  Walking distance to Walmart, Target and several restaurants, and about 15 minutes to the beach.
    As for gas, we are about 300 kms further from where we keep the coach in Moncton/Shediac, but I gave up tracking fuel costs as it doesn't really matter.  We go where we want to go, fill up the tank at the station showing the best price at the time, and drive for another day or so.
    As for heading down, we try to head down the I 81, via I 86 or I 84, or the 401 to the 81, the to Charlotte on the I 77, to the I 95, over to Ocala  on the 301 to the I 75.
    You'll have a great trip.

Ed

Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
Is that the route to miss the mountains in Pennsylvania?  Where do you stop on the way down?  I'm just sending an e-mail too Robert's asking for their winter rates.  Does it have wifi throughout the park or a specific area?

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

We stay here in the Naples area (Gulf side): http://www.silverlakesrvandgolfresort.net/home.asp

We are owners but there are rental sites available. Our 5th wheel stays there all year.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

grassy

• ---
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!

Canada is bilingual, Quebec is not. The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.  Roads are the preview of the provinces.

Ian
2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Jake, Air... Brakes, Cab & Rear Suspension, Ultra Shift
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
Quebec needs to fix their roads before their signs.....:)

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
    No, that is the route that takes you right through the mountains, so you need to look at the forecast to make sure you have a clear window.  As for Robert's winter rates, you can link to them on their website.  There are dozens of other campgrounds throughout the area, but you do need to be careful as a lot of them are filled with permanent "trailer trash".  So, check them out at a review site like this:  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
I think I was given a route that goes down the eastern seaboard and misses the mountains.  Will definitely check out the trailer park reviews....lol

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
   If you miss the mountains, you will hit all the traffic in the I 95 cor, and the Philly, Baltimore, Washington DC roads are among the most congested in North America.  That is why we would put on up to 100 miles to get around and still save time.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »
We're nervous for the strain of the mountains on the RV.

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!

Canada is bilingual, Quebec is not. The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.  Roads are the preview of the provinces.

Ian

You are right about new brunswick , you are wrong about quebec and the ROC. Quebec is so bilingual that this is where you will find the greatest amount of bilangual citizen according to statistic canada. We dont have the choice to learn the english language if we want to get out a little bit, and its a real asset to speak more than one language.so im all go for language variety

Im not going to fall in that trap but ill say that you can live in english only in montreal  no need to speak french at all if you stay around montreal, and for sure in the west island. Now for a guy like me that spent 10 years in ontario and at travelling the ROC...i can say that you can barely get by in french only, one day or the other your going to fall for the english language and thats perfectly fine with me.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 08:19:23 AM »
    I've stayed out of the bilingual discussion until now, but I vehemently disagree with the statement that you can live anywhere in Quebec without any need for French.  All signs, traffic, retail, parking, etc are in French only, and the use of international common signs have been eliminated.  In addition, many of the terms used on signs are Quebec idioms which make no sense to non Quebecers.   I grew up in New Brusnwick, was fully bilingual but gave up trying when I couldn't understand Quebec French

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »
French Quebecers do have their own slang.....which language doesn't?  I'm English by the way.  Love Quebec, hate the politics!

johnandcarol

• ---
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
My daughter has lived in Montreal for 2 years and hasn't learned a word of french. She gets along fine. French would die out if they didn't make laws forcing it

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:25 AM »
    John, come to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario or Manitoba and you will see many francophone communities where french is the predominent language.  While NB is officially bilingual, the others are not.  French continues to flourish in those locals without any of those draconian laws.  On a similar vein there are still some communities in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where Gaelic flourishes, and that is a language that has absolutely no support by was of laws, or government money.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Before the language laws and OMG language police (absurd).....French flourished as did English, Italian, Greek etc.  it's the politicians that want power and money!

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
If you refer to my post maybe i wasnt clear enough, what i meant is that if you stay nearby mtl or in the west island then you dont need to speak french at all...not even a little bit, but hey whats the point to  stay in the province of quebec if one doesnt like or doesnt want to learn, that make no sense to me since the rst of the north america is there to live in one language only ?

French flourish ! Wow i wonder where ? Its a constant battle in northern ontario, im in winnipeg now and when ive asked some student that i have from st boniface i can tell you that they do not think that french flourish lol.....beaumont nearby edmonton is another place where french speaking peoples struggle and fight everyday to have the services of the same quality in both official language.

Even in moncton new brunswick where french is really the second language spoken when you ask the french peoples they will say that it is much better than before but they also have to stay on guard because the albert county guys or riverview guys are still there bitching about the french in N.B and i dont even talk about st john new brunswick... SO FLOURISH....i dont think so,....

You want to know which language flourish in canada? Mandarin, Indi and Tagalog, and you know what ? its not over

See only in toronto, can you see french in that list ? Ill let you do your research for the ROC ;-))

Mother tongue
(highest %)

English:[48] Ward 32 - Beaches-East York: 77.7% (Lowest %: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 24.9%)
Portuguese: Ward 18 - Davenport: 25.3%
Cantonese: Ward 41 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 23.5%
Chinese, not otherwise specified: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 22.2%
Italian: Ward 9 - York Centre: 20.4%
Russian: Ward 10 - York Centre: 19.5%
Tamil: Ward 42 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 15.1%
Panjabi (Punjabi): Ward 1 - Etobicoke North: 13.3%
Urdu: Ward 26 - Don Valley West: 11.2%
Greek: Ward 29 - Toronto-Danforth: 10.7%
Home language
(highest %)

English: Ward 16 - Eglinton-Lawrence: 89.9% (Lowest %: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 36.1%)
Cantonese: Ward 41 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 22.5%
Chinese, not otherwise specified: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 18.3%
Portuguese: Ward 18 - Davenport: 17.8%
Russian: Ward 10 - York Centre: 17.6%
Italian: Ward 9 - York Centre: 12.7%
Tamil: Ward 42 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 12.7%
Panjabi (Punjabi): Ward 1 - Etobicoke North: 11.0%

I've stayed out of the bilingual discussion until now, but I vehemently disagree with the statement that you can live anywhere in Quebec without any need for French.  All signs, traffic, retail, parking, etc are in French only, and the use of international common signs have been eliminated.  In addition, many of the terms used on signs are Quebec idioms which make no sense to non Quebecers.   I grew up in New Brusnwick, was fully bilingual but gave up trying when I couldn't understand Quebec French

Ed
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:13:29 PM by Homer1959 »

grassy

• ---
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
The French Canadians are going to wake up soon and realize that their language isn't the second or even third most spoken language in Canada. This has already happened in NS.

So, if Canada is a truly bilingual country, shouldn't the second most common language be Canada's second official language ?  Something to ponder about :)

BTW, I used to be bilingual but I let it lapse..

I find the Quebec language Police have taken things to the absurd....wanting to remove the "redial" word off all telephones... come on..

BTW, love the new Montreal bypass road, highway 30...should have been built years ago...
2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Jake, Air... Brakes, Cab & Rear Suspension, Ultra Shift

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
French is only one of the official language because of our constitution, in reality its only good for the politician, they use it to divide peoples. There is no difference between a family in BC, MN, ON, QC, or NS, we are all the same we try to do the best with what we have .

I totally agree with you,  the language police push the limit of the acceptable at one point, but on the other end how can you try to protect your language and culture without frustrating some of the anti frog because you know, you have peoples in the ROC and anglophone in quebec that are at the very least as much separatist that some french speaking peoples in quebec! They would like to see quebec vanishing...they are not sure why but that sound good in a discussion

Wonder how they do in europe when you can have 2 or 3 or 4 language spoken in 1 country without having all the fight and arguments ?

If you dont have an open mind and if you dont understand that quebec peoples have a different culture , language and lifestyle, more europeen style than american and if you are not willing to live the difference with the goods and the bad that come with it and hope to travel just to find everything like home then youll be disapointed ...you know what you can do to avoid this hell thoug ;-))

The French Canadians are going to wake up soon and realize that their language isn't the second or even third most spoken language in Canada. This has already happened in NS.

So, if Canada is a truly bilingual country, shouldn't the second most common language be Canada's second official language ?  Something to ponder about :)

BTW, I used to be bilingual but I let it lapse..

I find the Quebec language Police have taken things to the absurd....wanting to remove the "redial" word off all telephones... come on..

BTW, love the new Montreal bypass road, highway 30...should have been built years ago...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:17:27 PM by Homer1959 »

johnandcarol

• ---
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
This is a really good discussion by reasonable and knowledgeable people.

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »
I just wanted to know if it was super hilly going east......lol

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
Lol ! What funny is that the more youll be in the mountain of the north shore of the st lawrence river the more its going to be french only ....then as soon you turn around everything 's going downhill .......;-) ha ha ha !

I just wanted to know if it was super hilly going east......lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:06:22 PM by Homer1959 »

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »
Let's make sure to keep things civil.

Thanks

ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
Why are you worry ? its all in good fun, if we cant joke and pull some wire without creating a sentiment of danger I'll fly away at 100mph.....just tell me clearly if I have to walk with a broom up my.....and you wont see me again

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »
Homer, you evidently did not see the response that Ken is referring to, as it was removed. Thank you Ken. As a lifelong English speaking but now bilingual Quebecer, even I was insulted.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
Alfa, you are right i've missed the post..,

Ken, and Sheila,  sorry if i sounded rude in my post now i  understand ! :-)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:34:11 PM by Homer1959 »

grassy

• ---
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »
The latest thing...John Baird is now getting heat because not enough of his "tweets" are in French...as if the french language lends itself to brevity :)  Too funny...

This is 6 months old...

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/quebec-s-premier-weighs-in-on-facebook-page-controversy-1.1706015

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Get a grip people.  This site is supposed to be about RVing not Quebec politics.

I only wanted to know how hilly it is going east from Montreal.  Nothing more nothing less.

I didn't ask about road signs or language or politics.

RVing is the name of the game!

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
Did you get the responce you wanted?  If not, between Quebec and Baie-St-Paul there are a lot of rolling hills. Past Baie-St-Paul it gets a bit steeper,as you pass through the tail end of the Laurentian Mtns  on their way to meet the St-Laurent. Montreal to Quebec on autoroute 40, fairly flat!
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Hosted by Over The Network