Traveling Through Quebec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpykmpr

On June 3rd we will be leaving Florida bound for Nova Scotia. The route we have planned this year takes us across the border in the Niagara falls area through Ont. and Quebec. My question or concerns, if you will ,are neither my wife nor I speak any French. I am a Canadian citizen living there for the first 38 years of my life but never traveling to Quebec so I don't know what to expect .I know we have been told that most of the people can't or wont speak English but I don't know if this is true or not.What kind of problems  have others ran into and what should we be expecting.We would like to spend a couple days in Montreal and a couple in Quebec city while passing through so I hope the language issue don't pose too much of a problem.I have read most of the topics concerning traveling through Quebec in this forum but I guess I would like some newer opinions . Any and all responses on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks , Alan

If you can at least muster a few phrases in French you'll get a much better reception and stand a better chance of getting a response to your questions whilst in Quebec province. Forum staffer Steve put together a list of some useful words and phrases for communicating in Quebec.

Alan, we spent about three weeks wandering through Quebec last summer, from cities to rural and small towns around the Gaspe peninsula we had no problems at all.  It seems there had been a shift in attitudes towards anglophones over the last few years, perhaps they realize that tourists bring $$.  We encountered very few people who didn't speak some English and those that didn't a few basic words of French and lots of gestures and chuckles solved the problems.  As Tom suggested a few words to open the conversation really does help.

If you're going to Quebec city, leave lots of time to explore old Quebec, it's fantastic.

Cheers
Dale

I second Dale's recommendation for Old Quebec. There are a number of other attractions within an easy drive that are also worth a visit.

My husband and I were in Quebec last summer/fall, so our experience is very recent.  Like you we were concerned about the "no english" rumors.  If you print out the list that Tom suggested and take it along with you, you'll not have any problems.  We traveled from the Niagara Falls area through Toronto, Montreal and then to Old Quebec City.  Quebec City is NOT to be missed.  It is beautiful and is one of the highlights of our trip.  Infact we routed ourselves back through Quebec City coming home.  We then went on around the entire point of Gaspe` Peninsula.  The only problem we had was a little town going around the Peninsula at a gas station.  WE didn't know which area they wanted up to pull into for RVs.  I went into the station and no one spoke english.  The word diesel is the same for French and English and "motorise" (?spelling) is the word for motor home.  So I held up my Visa card, said "Diesel, motorise, Visa" and they all laughted and pointed to which pumps we were supposed to use.  Everyone was very friendly and helpful; especially if you try some of their french words. 

If you stay in Montreal, there is a very nice campground outside of the city that is run by english speaking.  And in Quebec City I would recommend staying across the river and taking a ferry across.  The ferry arrives and departs right in the heart of Old Quebec making it very easy to get around.  If you would like the names of the campgrounds I can get them for you.  My  husband keeps a very detailed log of all our trips.  :D  Have fun, we would go back in a heartbeat!  Old Quebec City and Newfoundland were our favorites.

Marsha~

Scroll down through this album in our forum photo gallery to see a few pictures taken in and around Old Quebec.

We've been to eastern Canada several times and people definitely are more friendly in the French-speaking areas than previously.  I agree with what the others said, but would add to learn something about French highway signs.  West of Quebec we took what appeared to be a good route until we came upon construction barriers and gigantic and serious yellow signs that told us something - but what???  I was driving at the time and we couldn't understand a single word on the signs.  It was disconcerting, to say the least.  For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!  There is a certain age group that does not know English because for about 20 years they were not allowed to learn it or teach it.  Nevertheless, most people were friendly and the younger ones wanted to speak English with us.  I would say that if you can find campgrounds advertising that they cater to English-speaking people (Trailer Life Campground Directory has such ads) it will help immensely because they can tell you how to find places and what is not to be missed.  If you meet people who have lived in the US they'll likely be of great help.  Hope you have a wonderful trip!

ArdraF

LOL Ardra, we had the same issue with road safety signs around Montreal.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great replies to this post.I have read the section in the Library that Tom mentioned and have been looking for good web pages that will give me a heads up on the highway signage there but have not found any that were too much good as of yet but plan to keep looking . Thanks Marsha and yes we would appreciate very much any advice you would be willing to provide us about good RV  parks in Quebec that you used on your trips through. Thanks again ,Alan

You can check road conditions for the province of Qu?bec here:  http://www.quebec511.gouv.qc.ca/en/.  That page also has a link for bridge restrictions as well, which can come in handy if you want to keep your air conditioner on the roof.

In a lot of Provinces including Qu?bec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, you can also call 511 ahead of time for road constructions.  I don't know if the service is bilingual or not in Qu?bec.  I live in New Brunswick, so when I dial 511, I get the one for New Brunswick.

Most provinces have construction information on their website as well as far as provincial and national highways are concerned, however it will not include city streets that are not part of the provincial or national network.  Most municipalities big enough to have a decent website would have that information there.

As is our habit, on our way back from the south, we usually set up just outside Ottawa and our daughter, son in law, and their 2 kids meet us for the week end.  This time we were about 75 miles up the Ottawa River which is the border between Ontario and Quebec.  We took a drive, ended up in Quebec went in for a few groceries, etc and were shocked that everyone, locals, clerks, were all speaking english.  I haven't seen that in our travels for many years, but if someone spoke french they quickly reverted to french with perfect accent.  I thought we'd somehow crossed into New Brunswick.
  As for running into difficulties, a little patience, a few hand signs, keep a cool head about traffic signs, and you won't run into any problems.  There are lots of RV'rs amongst Quebecers.  They are a friendly cordial group, and try their utmost to be helpful.Little things will surprise or annoy, such as a western sandwich will arrive with mayo on it, but local delights are a must try.
    Some major pieces of advice is to gas/diesel up in Ontario before crossing as fuel is much more expensive.  But on the other hand, beer and wine is far cheaper, so load up before heading out as you'll find it is almost twice the price in the Atlantic.
    Enjoy

Ed

One place I would recommend is going to Les Chocolats Favoris in Levis across the river from Quebec City (below is a better description).  Make sure you get a an ice cream dipped in the chocolate made there.  They make a fabulous dark and milk chocolate.

Suggest you have lunch in the little restaurant across the street (forget the name) and ice cream @ Les Chocolats Favoris.  Best dipped ice cream cone in the world!!!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Province_of_Quebec/Levis-907334/Restaurants-Levis-BR-1.html#0

Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

And the campground for Old Quebec City is here

Camping Transit is outside of Quebec City, but the ferry is nearby and very handy.  If you read Betty Brewer's log as well as Ardra's recap, they give some very good information and list a couple other campgrounds near Old Quebec City.  What we liked about Camping Transit is that when we were ready to leave, we just hopped on the freeway and we were on our way.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Marsha~

Thank you Marsha we really appreciate your giving us this info and I  hope you both have safe travels wherever you are headed this summer.  Alan

Marsha/CA said:
Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

And the campground for Old Quebec City is here

Camping Transit is outside of Quebec City, but the ferry is nearby and very handy.  If you read Betty Brewer's log as well as Ardra's recap, they give some very good information and list a couple other campgrounds near Old Quebec City.  What we liked about Camping Transit is that when we were ready to leave, we just hopped on the freeway and we were on our way.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Marsha~
edit: fixed quote

I forgot to mention, if you have any Irish heritage, the major entry point into North America from the Irish Famine was an Island just down river from Quebec City.  Here is their website:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/qc/grosseile/index.aspx

As you formalize plans and have any questions, please post them.

Ed

Marsha Wrote: Alan, the campground for Montreal is here

Heh heh,  This campground may be very nice but it is actually quite far from Montreal itself. It is on the "South Shore" of the St Lawrence River. (Fleuve St-Laurent) in Beleoil. If you are coming from the US Border NY, or Vermont) it would be fine but...

If you are coming from Ontario or western NY it is not practical.

Important highway language: Most route signs have the direction like 40 O(uest), 40 W(est); 40 E(st), east; 15 N(ord), north; 15 S(ud), south. (West is the only oddball one!!) Odd numbers are N-S roads; Even numbers, E-W; 3 digit numbers, (ie 540), feeders, connectors or bypasses (to hwy 40 in this example).

We measure in KM in Canada(Kilometres) 100KM= 60 MPH (Hint, multiply km by .6 or look at the smaller numbers on your USA speedometers). We measure Gas in Litres which are "about" = to 1 US Quart (4L = "about" 1 US Gal) . Temperatures are measured in
?C(elcius): Fast Calculation ...double the ?C temp and add 32 (eg 20*2 = 40 + 32 = 72?F) close enough!!! (Us old-timers who grew up with the old imperial system always find quick ways to recalculate when necessary.)

(Someday the USA will catch up with the rest of the world.  heh heh!!)

Pictograms are used on many signs, most are obvious after thinking about it.

One anomaly, there are NO right turns on red on the Island of Montreal but are allowed elsewhere in the province unless the signs say otherwise. Signs (pictograms) indicating this are located at each of the bridges to Montreal but are seldom, if ever, found on the island roads themselves.  The verbose signs in French only can be worrisome. I wish I had some examples but I can't think of any at the moment.

As to Canada being bilingual, well.... New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province, Quebec is French, however Ontario does a good job, at least in the eastern portion, on bilingual road signs. Further west (Manitoba-BC) Bilingual?? What's that mean????

Alfa38user,  you missed my point.  ;D The campground is English speaking, that was the OP concern and why I suggested it.  And I did say "outside" of the city.

Marsha~ 

Once again thanks to everyone who replied and for all of the great info. We are on our way early tomorrow morning, if all goes according to plan, with the first stop being Dothan Alabama. Marsha we were able to get a reservation in the campground you suggested near Quebec city,  Thanks for that info. Montreal we are going to pass on this time so we can spend more time in Ottawa and Quebec city. Maybe next time .Take care all , Alan

Marsha/CA said:
Alfa38user,  you missed my point.  ;D The campground is English speaking, that was the OP concern and why I suggested it.  And I did say "outside" of the city.

Marsha~

No, I don't think so Marsha!!!  Most people in this line of work, at least in the Montreal area, would likely have enough English to be understood or would have staff who spoke it sufficiently. The same may not be true in the Quebec City area.    (Lifelong English speaking Montrealer !!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom