EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Traveling Through Quebec  (Read 22629 times)

hpykmpr

• ---
Re: Traveling Through Quebec
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »
   We just got back from our day at the Irish memorial are having supper then early to bed.  We're in lot 153, maybe coffee in the morning before we head out.  Sorry no cell phone, but will check the forum in the morning.

Ed

Thanks Ed for coming to find our lot this morning, Bonnie and I really enjoyed talking with you and Donna. We enjoyed our visit to  Old Quebec except for the fact that it was over run with school children ,it must have been class trip day and they all went to Quebec. Take care and safe traveling. Alan

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:45 PM »
Well here we are in Woodstock New Brunswick.Survived our trip through Quebec without problems although the roads were quite rough with some exceptions.The people we came in contact with were fore the most part quite friendly and willing to talk to us in English,that is after we tried our limited knowledge of french on them. my wife did great with conversing and translating the highway signs sure does make it a lot easier when you have a good navigator.Thanks to Marsha on the suggestion for the Park in Levis,other than the highway noise it was A1. Highway noise seems to be the rule rather than the exception for a lot of parks along the major highways. Tonight we are on the banks of the St John river in Woodstock beautiful but rather warm ,tomorrow on to Nova Scotia. Alan

Msbudlite

• ---
  • 2002 Georgie Boy - Landau - 34'
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
Hi, we would like to travel from Montreal too Baie St Paul.  I was wondering if this is an extremely mountainous region.  We have a 34' Motorhome.

Thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
The 'mountainous' areas start after Baie St-Paul but between Quebec City and Baie St-Paul there are some 'nice' hills, no problem for an otherwise good vehicle. The biggest hill is right at Baie St-Paul as you decend into town, if my memory serves me right.

I would use Autoroute (Aut or A) 40 all the way to Quebec City. You could use the 20 (via the South Shore) but you will have to cross a bridge or tunnel here and the bridge at Quebec. (South Shore Bridges and the tunnel are problematic here right now because of all the construction.) Avoid rush hours at all costs!!

You could avoid Montreal by using highway 30 to the 20 (south shore) or 13 to 640 on the North Shore but where is the fun in that!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:12:52 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
hwy 30 too hwy 40 sounds like the best plan.  hwy 30 is at my back door...:)

Thank you for answering.

We all know Motorhomes are only as good as their transmission!  lol

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
Unless you go west to Vaudreuil, I can't see how you can go from highway 30 to the 40 easily. You can easily get to the 20 from the 30 by travelling east on the 30 and watching for the exit.

You can cross the river to the 40 by ferry at Sorel (but not sure about a motor home though) or you can cross bridges at Trois-Rivieres or Quebec City. I seem to remember from a previous discussion you are from the South Shore. For my way of thinking, using the Louis-Hippolyte tunnel straight up to the 40 would be the easiest from the South Shore, outside of the morning rush hour.

Heh heh, maybe just I don't know the roads well enough even though I am from Mtl  (West Island) too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:26:55 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
We are on Ile Perrot and hwy30 is minutes away.  So, we would go hwy 30 too hwy 20?  Not hwy 40?

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
Ahh, Ile Perrot... Just use the  20, cross the bridge to Ste Annes, Get off the bridge at 1st exit, cross under the 20, follow Veterans Blvd, keeping right, the 40 is right there. Travel that route all the time!! There are several miles of construction but east bound is usually not a problem except at morning rush hour. Travel straight thru using Metropolitan Blvd, again outside of the rush.

Or go to the 40 via Dorion and the 20. (You may hit a mile or two of the 30, not sure since the new part of the 30 is really the 540 renamed and it joins the 20 and 40  together at that point).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:59:42 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
Is it better to go via hwy40?  We are very close too hwy30.

Thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
I think so, the 40 takes you all the way to Quebec City. Myself, I would take the 40 to the 13N (Mirabel) to the 640 bypassing all the heavy Mtl traffic. 640 rejoins the 40 at Charlemagne a bit past the east end of Mtl Island. (I have travelled that route very often in the past.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:55:11 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
Thank you, sounds good.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Have a good trip!!! While you are that far east try to get in some whale watching. We went as far as the Saguenay quite a few times (by car). My wife had an aunt who lived in the Convent in Baie St-Paul and whom we visited there....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:12:25 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »
Here is something for you and youll never be hungry, you stop by one of the million belle province restaurant and you just say...

, jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

With this you are well equipped as long as you like hot dogs  lol

dont worry for the english language you will be fine especially nearby big city, if you want you can live in english only in montreal , and the tourism is so important in quebec city that you wont have any problem.

the problem around here arent the peoples, its the politician .....enjoy your trip in la belle province where you can get a bit of europe

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 05:17:40 AM »
Love hotdogs and La Belle...:)

thanks

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »

jpeut tu avoir 2 roteux all dress pas de reliche aik une poutine pis un coke diete siouplait ?

Wow!!! I did not think I sounded quite like that... heh heh ;D

L'anglais...

Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Franglais/Frenglish....

lol....it's all good.

:)

Homer1959

• ---
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »
You see guys 2 mn and the party start....dont worry come and see the frenchie and enjoy the difference but remember you can come in contact with a moron....they are everywhere.... :) they are the exception ! I think lol

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
People are people and there are morons in every language.

RV people basically love everyone. 

Enjoy your life.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
I used to travel for work in the pulp and paper industry, which took me to Canada several times.  Never to QC though.... but I did connect flights in Montreal once or twice.  I was so not impressed with their efforts to make me feel NOT welcome I vowed I would never go there to spend money.  A vow I may some day break, since I've heard many nice things about the old city, as was mentioned here.....
It seemed that they had spent infinitely more effort to put the English language signage smaller and under the french, that they neglected to put any valuable information on many of the signs!  Hey, a picture will often do with no English at all..... but instead they had to make it obvious that they didn't welcome English.
I've felt more welcome in rural Findland travelling alone where nobody spoke a word of English and there were no english signs at all....!

makes me think of another story
I traveleled to small towns in Scandanavia on a few occasions while working for a Swedish owned company.  Folks in big cities there speak English, and they even have English menus in the resteraunts.... but not always in small towns.  Once travelling with a coworkerker from QC, we would jointly translate enough of the menus to get by..... using my English and his French.  Once, we went into a Chinese resteraunt.  I'm used to them speaking bad English here, but there they spoke bad Swedish.  That was a real weird thing....  I still shake my head about it trying to wake up..... Anyway, they had to get a kitchen worker there to come take our order as none of the wait staff or front folks could speak a word of English.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
I have lived in Queerbec since 1955.  When the separatists got in in the 70's English went too hell.  It is so much better now!  But I've always been told that Montreal has the real language issue.  Quebec City is absolutely wonderful!  And, always has been.  Rural Quebec is basically French but not many separatists.  They just speak French nothing more and nothing less.  Quebec is a beautiful province especially eastern Quebec.  Please come and visit.  I spend plenty in the USA.......lol

blw2

• ---
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
  I spend plenty in the USA.......lol

LOL... yeah that was a long time ago for me, and I'm no longer holding a grudge  ;)
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »
You really have to understand some of the history and the politics to understand where/why all this got started. Not that I condone or even agree with it but... The early requirements of Bill 101 (early 70's ?) were balanced and reasonable but political expediency and vote hunger took over later on (IMHO).

I was born here in 1939  and have lived here all my life, and even I do not understand where the extremists are coming from at times.  I did happen to serve some tours as a military armed guard during the bomb threats and the kidnappings that eventually resulted in the declaration of martial law in Oct 1970. It was not one of my favourite jobs. In my civilian day job, I was working in some of the buildings under guard.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:51:58 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
   We've wintered in the Tampa Bay area for all but one year for the past 9 years.  We really like the area as it does provide a lot of things to do and it has a lot of amenities that we didn't find the year we wintered in Arizona.  However, we have never been by the Bay Bayou.  It is not located in an area we would consider hogh on our preferred locations.  It is well inland and I'd guess well over a half hour to the gulf beaches.  We prefer the St Pete/Clearwater side of the Bay, but that is a personal preference.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »
I was looking in that area but there are so many choices it's hard to decide and know which are nice and which are not.  Which ones would you suggest and may I ask what your cost of gas is, one way.  We have been too Tampa many times by plane but never camped there.

Thanks

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
We tow a little 2002 Tracker.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
    Any place you get to in the Tampa area will have good weather, and lots to see and do.  We always stayed at Robert's RV and Mobile Home park in St Petes:  http://www.robertsrv.com/  it provides basic sites, with a pool, it is clean, and lots of in park activities, but it isn't high end.  Walking distance to Walmart, Target and several restaurants, and about 15 minutes to the beach.
    As for gas, we are about 300 kms further from where we keep the coach in Moncton/Shediac, but I gave up tracking fuel costs as it doesn't really matter.  We go where we want to go, fill up the tank at the station showing the best price at the time, and drive for another day or so.
    As for heading down, we try to head down the I 81, via I 86 or I 84, or the 401 to the 81, the to Charlotte on the I 77, to the I 95, over to Ocala  on the 301 to the I 75.
    You'll have a great trip.

Ed

Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Msbudlite

• ---
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
Is that the route to miss the mountains in Pennsylvania?  Where do you stop on the way down?  I'm just sending an e-mail too Robert's asking for their winter rates.  Does it have wifi throughout the park or a specific area?

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
I see you are a snowbird...SW Florida.  Which camping do you go too?  We are looking at Bay Bayou in Tamps.  We haven't gone south for the winter yet but are considering it.

We stay here in the Naples area (Gulf side): http://www.silverlakesrvandgolfresort.net/home.asp

We are owners but there are rental sites available. Our 5th wheel stays there all year.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

grassy

• ---
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!

Canada is bilingual, Quebec is not. The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.  Roads are the preview of the provinces.

Ian
2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Jake, Air... Brakes, Cab & Rear Suspension, Ultra Shift
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)

Hosted by Over The Network