Traveling Through Quebec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a thought, with respect to all Quebecois..

You only speak English and the store only speaks French.. no deal most/some of the time.

What if...if you walked in with a wad of money in your fist. Then you say "I speak English only".
Would they turn you away or come up with someone that speaks English?

Would be a good experiment. After all Quebec is not another Nation. I have lived in Canada for 30 years..never could figure it out.

carson FL

Hey, it is not unique to Canada.  Donna and I went into a national chain fast food store for lunch in El Centro, on our way to the Air Show in March.  After about 5 minut6es of being totally misunderstood by a virtually uni lingual Spanish young lady , I was turning to leave when her supervisor decided to see what the problem was and fixed the order in about 30 seconds.  Sorry, while I do have some competency in French, I have none in Spanish.

carson said:
Just a thought, with respect to all Quebecois..

Snipped

After all Quebec is not another Nation.

snipped...

carson FL

At least not yet anyway heh,heh... Much to the consternation of a certain minority of Quebecers.

On our way into Montreal yesterday, I did have the following thoughts. 
    1)  Depending on where you end up staying in the Montreal area, try to avoid the Metropolitan Blvd, HWY 40, particularly from Dacarie (Hwy 15) heading east.  Due to construction, we spent over an hour going about 5 miles leading up to Hwy 15, and it looked worse heading east from there. 
    2)  If you have the time, Hwy 138 from Montreal to Quebec city, and Hwy 132 from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup are very picturesque. However, both are 2 lane, and go through all the old towns & farms along the river. 

If you have the time, Hwy 138 from Montreal to Quebec city, and Hwy 132 from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup are very picturesque. However, both are 2 lane, and go through all the old towns & farms along the river.

If a choice has to be made in the interests of time, the preferale and more picturesque route would be 132 from Quebec City to Riviere Du Loup.  L'Islet has a wonderful old maritime museum, St. Jean Port Joli has several wood carvers who make a style of wood sculpture unique to Quebec and not found anywhere else.  Knock offs sold in the Old Town of Quebec City should be avoided and the real thing should be sought out in Riviere Du Loup.

The town of La Pocatiere has a historic museum of of the area located in the old College, and the town of Kamouraska should be visited to experience the architecture and ambience of old Quebec.  Kamouraska also boasts numerous good restuarants as well as a fabulous bakery cross from the Church.  Nearby is a famous seafood store selling eels and smoked salmon.  If you are really lucky in Kamouraska, ask if the farm tractor museum can be seen.  It's a private museum, but sometimes the owner will takes visitors on a tour.

Between La Pocatiere and St. Denis is a cut off that takes you to the old Quaie or pier at Riviere Ouelle where you can see the river, which is 35 miles wide at that point and has tides.  You need to ask about the vieux quaie  or the old pier, because it is not in the town of Riviere Ouelle.

However the town of Riviere Ouelle has a great campground with good hookups and it is located on the river side, allowing easy day trips to all the places I've mentioned. 

In the area of La Pocatiere you will hear motors whining in the background in the fields.  These are the harvesters of peat moss, and these companies export peat moss all over the world including most of the supply in the U.S.

Good grocery shopping can be done in La Pocatiere where there are several large super markets.

I'd second Steve comments regarding the Lower St Lawrence (Bas St Laurent).  Unfortunately it is not the right time of the year, but for you bird lovers, when the snow geese are migrating, it presents a very unique sight of tens of thousands of geese on the river taking off or flying in unison.  We saw them in a town called Montmagmy, which is just one more picturesque little villages along the river.
    Looking at maps after my posting this morning, and we may well head to Quebec from Ottawa taking Route 50 across the top of Montreal, then cut into Hwy 40, or 138 east of Montreal.  It too is mostly 2 lane, but is not plagued with the construction that never seems to avoided on the island of Montreal.

Well it won't be long now. we crossed the border yesterday with no problems ,showed our pass ports and they asked us twice if we had any firearms on board,never mentioned food alcohol or pets . We spent the day in Niagara Falls the place sure has changed since we were there 12 years ago. tomorrow morning we are off early to Ottawa for three nights and then on to Quebec city for three nights.Thanks to everyone for all of the info on Quebec it is all appreciated . Alan

We did go the Quebec route that I suggested and I think it was worth the extra distance.  We went 50 to 148, back to 50, to 15, to 640, to 40, and then to 138 for most of the way from Trois Riviere to Camp Transit.  A lot of 2 lane road, but none of the stop and go that we ha getting only a quarter of the way into Montreal.
    We're off to see the Irish Memorial tomorrow.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    We did go the Quebec route that I suggested and I think it was worth the extra distance.  We went 50 to 148, back to 50, to 15, to 640, to 40, and then to 138 for most of the way from Trois Riviere to Camp Transit.  A lot of 2 lane road, but none of the stop and go that we ha getting only a quarter of the way into Montreal.
    We're off to see the Irish Memorial tomorrow.

Ed

It sure is a small world. we arrived at Camp Transit about 1 1/2 hours ago from Alfred Ont. through Montreal ,Wow what a trip ,sure a lot of rough road. We are in lot 194 ,what part of the park are you in.? Alan

We just got back from our day at the Irish memorial are having supper then early to bed.  We're in lot 153, maybe coffee in the morning before we head out.  Sorry no cell phone, but will check the forum in the morning.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
  We just got back from our day at the Irish memorial are having supper then early to bed.  We're in lot 153, maybe coffee in the morning before we head out.  Sorry no cell phone, but will check the forum in the morning.

Ed

Thanks Ed for coming to find our lot this morning, Bonnie and I really enjoyed talking with you and Donna. We enjoyed our visit to  Old Quebec except for the fact that it was over run with school children ,it must have been class trip day and they all went to Quebec. Take care and safe traveling. Alan

Well here we are in Woodstock New Brunswick.Survived our trip through Quebec without problems although the roads were quite rough with some exceptions.The people we came in contact with were fore the most part quite friendly and willing to talk to us in English,that is after we tried our limited knowledge of french on them. my wife did great with conversing and translating the highway signs sure does make it a lot easier when you have a good navigator.Thanks to Marsha on the suggestion for the Park in Levis,other than the highway noise it was A1. Highway noise seems to be the rule rather than the exception for a lot of parks along the major highways. Tonight we are on the banks of the St John river in Woodstock beautiful but rather warm ,tomorrow on to Nova Scotia. Alan

Hi, we would like to travel from Montreal too Baie St Paul.  I was wondering if this is an extremely mountainous region.  We have a 34' Motorhome.

Thanks

The 'mountainous' areas start after Baie St-Paul but between Quebec City and Baie St-Paul there are some 'nice' hills, no problem for an otherwise good vehicle. The biggest hill is right at Baie St-Paul as you decend into town, if my memory serves me right.

I would use Autoroute (Aut or A) 40 all the way to Quebec City. You could use the 20 (via the South Shore) but you will have to cross a bridge or tunnel here and the bridge at Quebec. (South Shore Bridges and the tunnel are problematic here right now because of all the construction.) Avoid rush hours at all costs!!

You could avoid Montreal by using highway 30 to the 20 (south shore) or 13 to 640 on the North Shore but where is the fun in that!!!

hwy 30 too hwy 40 sounds like the best plan.  hwy 30 is at my back door...:)

Thank you for answering.

We all know Motorhomes are only as good as their transmission!  lol

Unless you go west to Vaudreuil, I can't see how you can go from highway 30 to the 40 easily. You can easily get to the 20 from the 30 by travelling east on the 30 and watching for the exit.

You can cross the river to the 40 by ferry at Sorel (but not sure about a motor home though) or you can cross bridges at Trois-Rivieres or Quebec City. I seem to remember from a previous discussion you are from the South Shore. For my way of thinking, using the Louis-Hippolyte tunnel straight up to the 40 would be the easiest from the South Shore, outside of the morning rush hour.

Heh heh, maybe just I don't know the roads well enough even though I am from Mtl  (West Island) too.

Ahh, Ile Perrot... Just use the  20, cross the bridge to Ste Annes, Get off the bridge at 1st exit, cross under the 20, follow Veterans Blvd, keeping right, the 40 is right there. Travel that route all the time!! There are several miles of construction but east bound is usually not a problem except at morning rush hour. Travel straight thru using Metropolitan Blvd, again outside of the rush.

Or go to the 40 via Dorion and the 20. (You may hit a mile or two of the 30, not sure since the new part of the 30 is really the 540 renamed and it joins the 20 and 40  together at that point).

I think so, the 40 takes you all the way to Quebec City. Myself, I would take the 40 to the 13N (Mirabel) to the 640 bypassing all the heavy Mtl traffic. 640 rejoins the 40 at Charlemagne a bit past the east end of Mtl Island. (I have travelled that route very often in the past.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom