Traveling Through Quebec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    No, that is the route that takes you right through the mountains, so you need to look at the forecast to make sure you have a clear window.  As for Robert's winter rates, you can link to them on their website.  There are dozens of other campgrounds throughout the area, but you do need to be careful as a lot of them are filled with permanent "trailer trash".  So, check them out at a review site like this:  http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Ed

I think I was given a route that goes down the eastern seaboard and misses the mountains.  Will definitely check out the trailer park reviews....lol

If you miss the mountains, you will hit all the traffic in the I 95 cor, and the Philly, Baltimore, Washington DC roads are among the most congested in North America.  That is why we would put on up to 100 miles to get around and still save time.

Ed

grassy said:
For being a bilingual country you would think important safety signs would be in both languages but they're NOT in Quebec!

Canada is bilingual, Quebec is not. The only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick.  Roads are the preview of the provinces.

Ian

You are right about new brunswick , you are wrong about quebec and the ROC. Quebec is so bilingual that this is where you will find the greatest amount of bilangual citizen according to statistic canada. We dont have the choice to learn the english language if we want to get out a little bit, and its a real asset to speak more than one language.so im all go for language variety

Im not going to fall in that trap but ill say that you can live in english only in montreal  no need to speak french at all if you stay around montreal, and for sure in the west island. Now for a guy like me that spent 10 years in ontario and at travelling the ROC...i can say that you can barely get by in french only, one day or the other your going to fall for the english language and thats perfectly fine with me.

I've stayed out of the bilingual discussion until now, but I vehemently disagree with the statement that you can live anywhere in Quebec without any need for French.  All signs, traffic, retail, parking, etc are in French only, and the use of international common signs have been eliminated.  In addition, many of the terms used on signs are Quebec idioms which make no sense to non Quebecers.  I grew up in New Brusnwick, was fully bilingual but gave up trying when I couldn't understand Quebec French

Ed

French Quebecers do have their own slang.....which language doesn't?  I'm English by the way.  Love Quebec, hate the politics!

My daughter has lived in Montreal for 2 years and hasn't learned a word of french. She gets along fine. French would die out if they didn't make laws forcing it

John, come to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario or Manitoba and you will see many francophone communities where french is the predominent language.  While NB is officially bilingual, the others are not.  French continues to flourish in those locals without any of those draconian laws.  On a similar vein there are still some communities in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where Gaelic flourishes, and that is a language that has absolutely no support by was of laws, or government money.

Ed

Before the language laws and OMG language police (absurd).....French flourished as did English, Italian, Greek etc.  it's the politicians that want power and money!

If you refer to my post maybe i wasnt clear enough, what i meant is that if you stay nearby mtl or in the west island then you dont need to speak french at all...not even a little bit, but hey whats the point to  stay in the province of quebec if one doesnt like or doesnt want to learn, that make no sense to me since the rst of the north america is there to live in one language only ?

French flourish ! Wow i wonder where ? Its a constant battle in northern ontario, im in winnipeg now and when ive asked some student that i have from st boniface i can tell you that they do not think that french flourish lol.....beaumont nearby edmonton is another place where french speaking peoples struggle and fight everyday to have the services of the same quality in both official language.

Even in moncton new brunswick where french is really the second language spoken when you ask the french peoples they will say that it is much better than before but they also have to stay on guard because the albert county guys or riverview guys are still there bitching about the french in N.B and i dont even talk about st john new brunswick... SO FLOURISH....i dont think so,....

You want to know which language flourish in canada? Mandarin, Indi and Tagalog, and you know what ? its not over

See only in toronto, can you see french in that list ? Ill let you do your research for the ROC ;-))

Mother tongue
(highest %)

English:[48] Ward 32 - Beaches-East York: 77.7% (Lowest %: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 24.9%)
Portuguese: Ward 18 - Davenport: 25.3%
Cantonese: Ward 41 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 23.5%
Chinese, not otherwise specified: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 22.2%
Italian: Ward 9 - York Centre: 20.4%
Russian: Ward 10 - York Centre: 19.5%
Tamil: Ward 42 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 15.1%
Panjabi (Punjabi): Ward 1 - Etobicoke North: 13.3%
Urdu: Ward 26 - Don Valley West: 11.2%
Greek: Ward 29 - Toronto-Danforth: 10.7%
Home language
(highest %)

English: Ward 16 - Eglinton-Lawrence: 89.9% (Lowest %: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 36.1%)
Cantonese: Ward 41 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 22.5%
Chinese, not otherwise specified: Ward 39 - Scarborough-Agincourt: 18.3%
Portuguese: Ward 18 - Davenport: 17.8%
Russian: Ward 10 - York Centre: 17.6%
Italian: Ward 9 - York Centre: 12.7%
Tamil: Ward 42 - Scarborough-Rouge River: 12.7%
Panjabi (Punjabi): Ward 1 - Etobicoke North: 11.0%

Hfx_Cdn said:
    I've stayed out of the bilingual discussion until now, but I vehemently disagree with the statement that you can live anywhere in Quebec without any need for French.  All signs, traffic, retail, parking, etc are in French only, and the use of international common signs have been eliminated.  In addition, many of the terms used on signs are Quebec idioms which make no sense to non Quebecers.  I grew up in New Brusnwick, was fully bilingual but gave up trying when I couldn't understand Quebec French

Ed

The French Canadians are going to wake up soon and realize that their language isn't the second or even third most spoken language in Canada. This has already happened in NS.

So, if Canada is a truly bilingual country, shouldn't the second most common language be Canada's second official language ?  Something to ponder about :)

BTW, I used to be bilingual but I let it lapse..

I find the Quebec language Police have taken things to the absurd....wanting to remove the "redial" word off all telephones... come on..

BTW, love the new Montreal bypass road, highway 30...should have been built years ago...

French is only one of the official language because of our constitution, in reality its only good for the politician, they use it to divide peoples. There is no difference between a family in BC, MN, ON, QC, or NS, we are all the same we try to do the best with what we have .

I totally agree with you,  the language police push the limit of the acceptable at one point, but on the other end how can you try to protect your language and culture without frustrating some of the anti frog because you know, you have peoples in the ROC and anglophone in quebec that are at the very least as much separatist that some french speaking peoples in quebec! They would like to see quebec vanishing...they are not sure why but that sound good in a discussion

Wonder how they do in europe when you can have 2 or 3 or 4 language spoken in 1 country without having all the fight and arguments ?

If you dont have an open mind and if you dont understand that quebec peoples have a different culture , language and lifestyle, more europeen style than american and if you are not willing to live the difference with the goods and the bad that come with it and hope to travel just to find everything like home then youll be disapointed ...you know what you can do to avoid this hell thoug ;-))

grassy said:
The French Canadians are going to wake up soon and realize that their language isn't the second or even third most spoken language in Canada. This has already happened in NS.

So, if Canada is a truly bilingual country, shouldn't the second most common language be Canada's second official language ?  Something to ponder about :)

BTW, I used to be bilingual but I let it lapse..

I find the Quebec language Police have taken things to the absurd....wanting to remove the "redial" word off all telephones... come on..

BTW, love the new Montreal bypass road, highway 30...should have been built years ago...

Lol ! What funny is that the more youll be in the mountain of the north shore of the st lawrence river the more its going to be french only ....then as soon you turn around everything 's going downhill .......;-) ha ha ha !

Msbudlite said:
I just wanted to know if it was super hilly going east......lol

Why are you worry ? its all in good fun, if we cant joke and pull some wire without creating a sentiment of danger I'll fly away at 100mph.....just tell me clearly if I have to walk with a broom up my.....and you wont see me again

Homer, you evidently did not see the response that Ken is referring to, as it was removed. Thank you Ken. As a lifelong English speaking but now bilingual Quebecer, even I was insulted.

Back
Top Bottom