Shortest Class C with a rear bedroom under $8,000?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claymation

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Class C. I have a need for a rear bedroom. Actually it doesn't have to be a bedroom, just a separate space in the back. I intend to take the beds out and make a small music recording space, so it needs to be separate and the full width (Not the ones where the back is a corner bed and bath). I'm looking to spend $4000 - $8000, so I'm limited to used ones, probably from the eighties. I'm looking at Class C's because my understanding is that they will do a better job on bumpy roads as I intend to be boondocking on BLM land as much as possible. Any advice? Thanks!

You need an oldie with this floorplan
http://www.lazydaze.com/Floorplans/235tkb.htm
They are out there you just have to hunt one down.
J

You would be much better off with a Class A. They have more room at the same size due to lack of a gigantic hood that takes up seven feet. My 27 foot Allegro has a rear bedroom that a small studio could be put into. I paid $2600 for it. I think a class A would have better suspension for a bumpy road. I boon dock almost exclusively.

seilerbird said:
You would be much better off with a Class A.

Having done the Class C (also a TT and 5thW) - would agree that an A is best. When bookdocking -- or wherever, I really grew to hate the lack of room and storage in the C.  The only reason I can see a Class C in this case is if the bedroom is converted to workspace, the Cab Over area is there as a bedroom - whereas in a Class A its the couch or dinette converted. That would get old pretty quick with me.

I bought a class C and my husband and I spent a lot of time fixing it up on the remodeling thread.  I used it a couple of times and it was ok, we would have used it, but it is limited with no slides on room.

Hubby said we could get a newer one so that wasn't the reason I'm going to sell it, the room that is.  But I got a class A only 2 foot longer, 29 versus 27 with 2 slides and its a world of difference I must admit. I was going to get another Class C but everyone including hubby said look at a class A and I'm glad I did.

I would ordinarily recommend the Class A over the Class C for all the reasons listed here but I'm not so sure an A is best if he's going to turn the bedroom into a studio. The overhead bunk in a C might be handier for sleeping than having to make up a couch or dinette nightly.

Wendy

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Looks like Class A is the way to go. I also started considering a bus conversion. My understanding is that those old busses, especially the school busses are built like tanks, will go 400,000 miles and are great on rough roads. The only drawback as far as I've found is that if they're a diesel, they suck up the dirt and that can cause serious problems. Anyone have any feedback on the bus? Gas or diesel? I'm not a handyman or mechanic (I'm a musician!), so having something that is reliable is VERY important to me. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum claymation. I am a musician living full time in a class A. I feel a class A is a much better idea than a bus conversion if you are not a mechanic. The last diesel class A I had sucked up the dust and clogged the radiator to the point where it would overheat going up a small hill. It cost $300 to get it cleaned out.

claymation said:
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Looks like Class A is the way to go. I also started considering a bus conversion. My understanding is that those old busses, especially the school busses are built like tanks, will go 400,000 miles and are great on rough roads. The only drawback as far as I've found is that if they're a diesel, they suck up the dirt and that can cause serious problems. Anyone have any feedback on the bus? Gas or diesel? I'm not a handyman or mechanic (I'm a musician!), so having something that is reliable is VERY important to me. Thanks again!
A lot of those old buses already have more than 400 thou on them.
J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom