Wiring switched outlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttyR2

Because my genset is a bit undersized (Yamaha EF2600), I'm putting a switch on the AC power outlet for the PD converter that charges the house batteries so that I can have the converter off when I need to run something like the microwave (which won't happen very often).

I'm using this exact switch/outlet: http://www.homeadditionplus.com/images/home_pics/Switch_Outlet_Combo_2.jpg

The only issue I ran in to is that when I hook up one of those circuit testers with the three lights, one of the lights is lit with the power off indicating an open neutral. Is that causing a dangerous condition?

What I did was break off the removable tang between the hot terminals (black) on the right side of the outlet, hooked the neutral (white) wire to the top right black screw, then jumpered the terminals on the other side that you can't see, , and then hooked up the hot (black) wire to the bottom right black screw. Power flows in through the switch, loops back to the outlet, and then back out through the wiring. Polarity is correct.

I replaced the duplex outlet shown here with the single outlet/switch combo: http://images.ttyr2.com/albums/Recreational%20Vehicles/pd9260c_install3.jpg

Should I really be using a double-pole switch instead?

I believe you are switching the neutral and that is causing the light to come on.  My thoughts are that you should have left the black lug jumper in place, put the black hot lead on the terminal beside the switch and the white lead on the wide blade terminal of the receptacle.  You can fix the removed jumper by jumping the two black terminals together.  If the whites have a lug between them (shouldn't) remove it and remove your jumper wire.

It is illegal to switch the neutral. You can kill someone doing that. It is against the National Electrical Code to do that. You should have not broken the tab and used the outlet as wired. It was wired correctly to switch the hot wire.

Okey. The instructions with the switch didn't list the scenario I was using it for.

I went back out and jumpered across the correct side (where the original metal jumper was), and wired neutral and hot to the proper terminals on the other side. The outlet tester shows all circuits go now.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom