28 hours till the first Condor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

Dang, it took me 28 hours to see my first Condor. It turned out to be old #26. She is a 15 year old female and she is a very horny lady. She has hatched four chicks in the canyon, two of which (59 and 89) are still flying. Wendy...Where are you???

Attachments

• Condor 26-2.jpg
    Condor 26-2.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 67
Old #26 may not be the prettiest lady on the planet, but if she's hatched 4 chicks she's A-1 in my book.  She's doing her part to continue the species.

By the way, nice photo.

ArdraF

Nice picture. But if I get to GRCA, the Condors will all go somewhere and hide like they always do :) But I do have on my Grand Canyon Condor t-shirt today.

Wendy

I was not expecting any Condors today because the weather was so bad. It was overcast (which keeps them from flying), cold, and windy. However, #33 did show up. She is another horny old female who has hatched a few eggs. She is 14 and she has been in the Grand Canyon since 1996, longer than any other Condor. She's not on a nest this year since she was treated for lead poisoning a few months ago. She is also the Condor that I see most frequently in the Cove.

I have also attached another photo of two gentlemen who were playing what looked like cheap plastic guitars on the rim. However if you look closely you will see a straw coming out of the top of the guitar. They were getting smashed and acting like it.

Attachments

• Condor 33-2.jpg
    Condor 33-2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 41
  • Guitar bottle 1.jpg
    Guitar bottle 1.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 49
The weather was warmer and I saw Condors on 6 different occasions today. I could only ID two of them, #87 a 12 year old male and -0 a 6 year male old that was born here. A few that I saw were just specks in the sky way overhead so getting a number was not possible. The warming trend is suppose to continue so I am looking forward to next week.

Attachments

• Condor 87.jpg
    Condor 87.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 24
Tom,

I got a number of Condor shots in May 2008.  They seem to hang out from time to time in front of the El Tovar.  I waited around several days before they came in.

I also got several of the to fly by close laying still out in the open on the N Rim on the points West of the park.

I put a number of them on my web site - I think this link might work:

http://www.billroscoe.com/Animals/Condors/4999753_UPe3J#299806126_cu4yp

Bill

Very nice shots Bill. I was at the canyon for the last two weeks of May 2008, maybe we chatted. I spend most of my afternoons in "The Cove" which is the area the Condor Paparazzi call between El Tovar and Lookout Studio where the Condor talks are held. They are always there in May and June.

Thanks for the comment.  It is very possible we talked.  There were numerous photographers and I talked with quite a few of them while waiting.

I have been going to the Canyon for many years trying to capture that one perfect image.  I'm not sure it really exists.  ;)

My brother used to live in Ash Fork and that gave me an added incentive to stop there.  I'm off to CO in two weeks.  I may take a day trip up from Williams in route.

The weather is getting better every day. Yesterday I saw a lot of Condors flying. The only one I could ID was #87 again. At 7:00 pm last night I was standing at Powell Point and 4 Condors were circling high above the river for about 20 minutes putting on one awesome show. And then the sunset was delicious.

I saw several Condors today but only one at a time. I only got the number off of one and that was #87 again. I think all the ones I saw today was #87. Weather keeps improving around here. They should be flying en mass soon.

I think #87 likes you. Or else the park biologists have gone around changing all the condor numbers to "87" :)

He doesn't like me. If he did he would perch a lot closer and pose for me. I've seen Condors 4 of the 5 days I have been here. I told you Wendy if you show up I'll show you a Condor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom