Ham Radio for Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I am interested in recommendations for a ham radio transceiver for my motorhome.  I am mainly interested in 80 through 10 meters, but I understand that some of the new compact transceivers also have uhf coverage as well.  I am looking for something under a thousand dollars, even under $500 if that is possible, that will be compact and not take up too much room.  100 watts power would be fine but i could live with 40 or 50.

Any suggestions?

Smoky,

A lot of the local Hams use the Icom IC 746 Pro which covers what you are asking about.  It is a good radio and very popular all over.  I believe Steve Crouch has one.  He is in Tucson so you could drive down and check it out if that is the one he has.  You may want to go down and talk to him as he is very knowledgeable on the subject in MHs.

The low power entuhasist in me likes Ten-Tec gear... and that is what I'm planing on putting in come Dayton

Currently I have just 2mtr/440 gear in the MH, for 2mtr I have (currently) a Kenwood 773 (if I recall correctly) and a Wilson WE-800 (this is over a quarter century old fully synthised rig, one of the first) which is locked on 146.52.  It's job is to monitor that frequency.  Righ also has a cb on chan 19 so I can hear about overturned semi trucks and such
(Came in handy already and I've only had the RV since June)  I always put a CB in anything that does "long haul" trips for just that reason (Older ones have come in handy, for just the above situtation, many times)

The big question is where to put it,, I have two places in my MH under consideration... I'm not interested in doing lo-band Mobile (just parked) but the 2mtr rig is (of course) next to the driver's seat, and that is where I have power as well.  But the half bath on the rig looks like it would make an excelent "ham shack" as well

Interesting side note:  Just had a Prosine 2000 installed... The service manager at my local camping world.... Has the very same dual band antenna I have for the Kenwood.

Smoky said:
I am interested in recommendations for a ham radio transceiver for my motorhome.  I am mainly interested in 80 through 10 meters, but I understand that some of the new compact transceivers also have uhf coverage as well.

Smoky,

I have had good luck with a Kenwood TS570 in my MH.  I am looking at the new ICOM IC-7000 for a possible replacement.

The antenna is on the front to keep it away from the engine and tranmission computers.  An SGC tuner is mounted on the firewall with a 6 inch wire connecting it to the ball mount.

Phil

Thanks for the ideas guys!  I will start looking at each of these transceivers on the Internet.

Anyone have an email address for Steve Crouch?

And John, I had forgotten all about Dayton.  Have not been active for a number of years.  As I recall that is the world's largest hamfest.  When is it held?  Might make a great RV trip.

Jim:

The TS746 is a very nice rig, but I think the price is around 1500 which is about 500 above my top limit.? I am beginning to think I should have kept my TS930 S, but it is a little heavier than what I need in MH conditions.

Phil, your 570 is just within my budget so I will give it some more looks.? Maybe even get the price a little lower if I find a really good used one on eBay or somewhere.

Smoky said:
Phil, your 570 is just within my budget so I will give it some more looks.  Maybe even get the price a little lower if I find a really good used one on eBay or somewhere.

Smoky,

If I get the IC-7000, there might be a TS-570 for sale in Surprise.  ;D

Phil

Smoky said:
Not sure how to do that Ron, unless he posts a public message first.

Smoky,

• Click Home and scroll down to click on Members list.
  • Search the membership.
  • Click on his name for his profile.
  • Click on the link to send him a PM.

Steve:

Thanks for the scoop on Dayton.  That is prefect for me as I will be on the east coast at that time.  I could drop the Admiral off with the grandkids in MD and take the MH on out to Dayton.

Anyone have a campground to recommend near Dayton?  I am thinking maybe KOA Buckeye Lake, but they book up really fast.

Phil? did not realize you winter in Surprise, though likely you told me and I forgot.  My brain is still on overload during this first year of fulltiming.  Give me a great price and I might be interested.  Let me know if you ever want to demo it for me.  The only complaint I have seen on that rig is people saying it tends to overload the front end during contests.  I am not a contester so that would not be an issue with me.  I could even find space in my shed to set up a ham shack lol!  What are the physical dimensions?

Thanks Tom for the quick course on membership listings.  I will do that.

Smoky said:
Anyone have a campground to recommend near Dayton?  I am thinking maybe KOA Buckeye Lake, but they book up really fast.

Phil? did not realize you winter in Surprise, though likely you told me and I forgot.  My brain is still on overload during this first year of fulltiming.  Give me a great price and I might be interested. 

Smoky,

I plan to head south right after Thanksgiving and should be at Happy Trails sometime next week.  If I get the ICOM, I will let you know.

You can dry camp at the Dayton Hamvention and there is a shuttle bus from the parking lot to the arena.

Phil

Great on the Daytona dry camping Phil.  do they have a way to dump and get water?

We plan to begin going to Happy Trails on Tuesday evenings as we just learned they have a country dancing group there every Tuesday.

Hi Smoky,

I'd suggest an ICOM 706 Mk2G.  It has 160 meters through 70 cm, all mode, in a small rig with remoteable head and two antenna outputs.  I have a screwdriver antenna monuted on my rear ladder for stationary operation and use a 40 meter Hamstick extending horizontally from my top mounted luggage rack's aluminum rail.  An autotuner like Icom's AH-4 would be a good option too.  My magmount VHF/UHF antenna is glued to my roof at a point that exhibited 1:1 SWR and works very well.

If you are in the vicinity of Tucson, I'm in Far Horizons RV park off Pantano road on the east side of town in space 270.  Drop by and we can discuss the matter!

Regards,

--Steve, NO7V

Question from a non-ham. Isn't it dangerous talking and listening while driving? The mic in one hand and only partial concentration on the road. Is this any more or less safe than the folks I see driving with a cell phone stuck in their ear?

Tom,

>>Question from a non-ham. Isn't it dangerous talking and listening while driving? The mic in one hand and only partial concentration on the road. Is this any more or less safe than the folks I see driving with a cell phone stuck in their ear?<<

This is my personal opinion others may vary!  VBG  I find it a lot easier to use the radio than a cell phone.  First of all, I either am listening to a speaker or I have a headset on over one ear.  Both hands are free except when I am talking and normally if I drop the mike while talking because of whatever, the other party has no problem.  Remember, the Ham conversations are normally casual and very informal.

That is not to say that I have not missed a turn or exit with a microphone in my mouth.  Here at home that can be a bit painful and the next off ramp going east is 6+ miles and westbound is about 10.  :-(

James Godward said:
I find it a lot easier to use the radio than a cell phone. First of all, I either am listening to a speaker or I have a headset on over one ear.

Jim, that's similar to a hands-free cell phone setup and I agree it allows both hands to be on the wheel. But, either way, the driver doesn't have full concentration on the road.

Back
Top Bottom