EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Best Dog Breed for RV'ing  (Read 29008 times)

Pierat

• ---
Re: Best Dog Breed for RV'ing
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
Hi Tom - Labradoodles are looking interesting to us. Could you post the breeder's name and contact info or PM me please? Thanks - John
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
John, I need to make a call and get the contact info. FYI the pup cost $2,500.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
Re Labradoodles:  Please be aware that sometimes mixing these two breeds results in a bad mix.  Although they are adorable, there have been some problems and many of them have been showing up in the humane shelters.

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
Interesting Marsha. What kind of problems arise? I wonder if similar problems occur with other mixes?

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »
When we had a our first Standard, Remy, there was a rash of rumors flying around about labradoodles.  Everyone thought if they could mix the breed they would get the best of both.  That's not always true.  It's my understanding that only 1 out of a litter of labradoodles will have the non shedding poodle hair.  Both of the breeds have hip and eye problems, so you could end up with a dog that has more propensity to develop the problem.  I have a friend who has a labradoodle and he's nearly untraineable and she's trying to find a home for him.  However to give the dog credit, I think a lot of her problem is that she has nearly 6 dogs so more than likely does not have time to train her labradoodle. 

Here is a copy of an article written by a labradoodle breeder in Oregon called SPRINGCREEK LABRADOODLE :

".....Labradoodles share the same genetic problems that             any of the parent breeds have that are used for breeding. Simply crossing two             unrelated breeds does not mean that genetic issues will be eliminated. There             have been multiple labradoodles from multi-gen, first cross and backcross lines            that have ended up with hip dysplasia, luxating patellas, eye problems, and            other disorders, all inherited from the parent dogs. I've heard from, and             spoken with numerous people with labradoodles that have major health issues and            it would be extremely unfortunate for potential owners to be led to believe that          they are ensured a healthy dog simply because this is a cross breed.
It is very important that proper health testing be done on any breeding dogs, so            that serious genetic issues are not continually bred on. If people feel genetic             issues are not a problem, this will lead to the general public not requesting             health information on breeding stock, which in turn will lead to many breeders             simply not testing. We all know this will then lead to even more genetic issues            continuing to be bred on and causing heartbreak to many families who end up           owning the dogs afflicted with the genetic issues.
Any of the same genetic problems that either labs or poodles experience, are the
    exact same ones that are genetically possible in the labradoodle. It is             important for people to understand this, or we will see the labradoodle headed            for disaster. I am writing in hopes that  your site can be a positive tool in helping people to make             educated decisions about where to purchase from, and who to purchase from so             they can reduce the risk of experiencing a serious genetic issue with their             future dog. Knowing that genetic issues are possible is an extremely important             piece of information to the potential buyer..."

This is not to say that every labradoodle will have problems...or even a pure bred; but several years ago, a lot of labradoodles were having trouble.  I don't hear of as many today; so maybe issues have been sorted out.  They are awfully darn cute, though.
Marsha~

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
Thanks Marsha. I know nothing of dog breeding or cross breeding, but it seems to me that the same issues could occur with any breed or cross-breed, i.e. the pups inherit one or more afflictions/disorders of the parents. I'd think that cross-breeding from two healthy "full pedigree" parents would likely result in healthy pups.

Maybe I'm just not getting what's different about a labradoodle vs any other mixed breed.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »
Good point, Tom.. I think the same thing happens with humans. The genes control your life.

Why do you think we have such mixed turmoil in the World today...we are all a mixed breed now.

This post is not intended to cause turmoil...just think about it.

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

glennfry

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
We travel with our grand sons boxer mastiff mix from time to time. She is a sweetheart and travels very well.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
Best dog for an RV... is a cat!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
Thanks that is good to know.

I read that labradoodles only began in the 1970s, I think it was. Other breeds have far longer lines with many of the problems bred out along the way. Shelties, for example, go back over 100 years in a mostly modern form, and far longer back to the toonie dogs that herded and protected the farm in older times.
Washington State

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
I'll be the first to tell you that any pure bred dog is not always the best, healthiest or happiest dog.  And, often intense breeding plans can produce problem dogs.  With our first dog we bought him as a puppy from a highly reputable breeder, with papers up the wazoo.  I even met his mom, his grandmother and great grandmother.  Two years later we had to put him to sleep because he was full of cancer.  We got Charlie a few months later from a back yard breeder and I consider him my "God-dog".  We weren't looking for a new dog; but he fell into our laps and is even a better dog than our first one.  He has papers but his pedigree is not near as intense...and neither is he.

I think mixed dogs are probably healther, more mentally balanced than all these pure bred lines; but the problem with getting a mixed breed is you don't have any idea what's in there.  Not that that can be a real problem; but it makes making a decision about how the dog will fit into your family a little more difficult.

The problem I heard years ago when the "Designer Dogs" became popular: labradoodle, cockapoo etc. is that quality poodle breeders did not want to mix the poodle breed with everything else, so what ended up happening was that poor quality poodles sometimes got mixed with other breeds.

I'm an animal lover and for me it really doesn't matter what they are as long as they are well cared for and loved. 

Marsha~

ttyR2

• ---
    • Wheatfarm.com
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
RV Roamer beat me to it!
1988 Alpenlite DL 27' 5th wheel
Tow rig: 2000 Ford F-350, 7.3L, CC, LB, 4X4, ZF-6

seilerbird

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
RV roamer is always right. A cat is a much better traveling companion. It takes me five minutes per day to fill the food and water dish and empty the poop palace. They are extremely low maintenance. I can leave my cat all day with absolutely no worries. In fact he loves it, he can sleep unmolested.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
Marsha, I don't need to tell you that Charlie is a great dog. However, you might remember the day you, Tim and Charlie took a ride on a friend's boat on the Delta, and she fell in love with Charlie. (She'd previously owned 2 full size poodles). Several months later, or friend acquired a Charlie lookalike, and this dog just wants to bite people. As you know, our friends have a veterinarian practice, and are around dogs all day. But they've been unable to get this dog to quit biting folks.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
Tom, cats may be good to travel with, but in the end you still just have a cat.  (G)
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
I'm extremely allergic to cats, so there's no cat in my RV (or stick home) future.

vulcanbill

• ---
    • Belgian Pup Bakery
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
The base assumption that the cat will continue to use the catbox is a dangerous one...and one I'm not prepared to make.  If the dog has an accident, it's because he's sick or I screwed up really bad.  If the cat does it, accident might not even apply.  We have 2 cats.  They are the last 2 I'll ever have. 
Bill n Kim
07 HR Alumalite 8310S
10 Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad 3.92

Belgian Pup Bakery - Organic and All Natural Treats for Dogs
WWW:  http://www.belgianpupbakery.com

Johncmr

• ---
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 02:33:20 PM »
Best Dog for RV - Stuffed

johncmr

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Hi Tom - Labradoodles are looking interesting to us. Could you post the breeder's name and contact info or PM me please? Thanks - John

John, apologies for delay. Our contact (not the breeder) was unavailable for several days. Here's the breeder info:

http://www.darbyparkdoodles.com/contact.php

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »
Thanks for that, Tom.
Washington State

rbell

• ---
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »
I think the best dog for an RV is a Scotty.

Meet Brandy
Dick
2012 150 Ecoboost
2012 KZ Spree 323CSS

TCreed88

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »
Its too bad your not looking for smaller dogs because if your were, I would suggest the Maltese breed. They are great lap dogs.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »
Best Dog for RV - Stuffed

johncmr

Hot dogs too.
Marc...

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
Doesn't anyone have a mastiff or two? Sure, they're big, but we knew a red Tibetan mastiff that was a wonderful dog, and nobody would bother it when it didn't want them to, either. Perhaps an extra-large coach with a second half-bath that could convert into a doghouse.... :)
Washington State

vulcanbill

• ---
    • Belgian Pup Bakery
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
Neighbors have a great white pyranese and it barely fits in the house.  I can't imagine anything that size in an RV.  He wouldn't be able to turn around in ours.   ::)
Bill n Kim
07 HR Alumalite 8310S
10 Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad 3.92

Belgian Pup Bakery - Organic and All Natural Treats for Dogs
WWW:  http://www.belgianpupbakery.com

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »
One of my old Lazy Days buddies had a Mastiff.  He didn't scare my chihuahua though, Koda stood his ground, well stood on the golf cart and looked him right in the eyes and growled.  Whoa....

Anyway, he was living in his coach with mastiff, wife and baby.  Glad it was him, not me.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

AZ Randy

• ---
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 08:16:26 PM »
Asking a group of RVers what breed of dog is best for the lifestyle is like asking the same people which RV or type of RV is best. Every dog and every breed is best. Just go to the Humane Society or a Rescue group and you'll know the right one when you see it.

Hosted by Over The Network