I love my dog, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pointerman

Anyone have problems with their dog and their power cord while in the yard?  This is the second time my dog has decided to chew up my TT 30 amp cord while I had it out and plugged in while in my back yard.  She is a repeat offender and is very close to the 3 strike rule.  :)  Heck, if you count the garden hoses she has destroyed she should be locked up for life by now.  Anyway, curious if anyone has encountered this before and what you have done to help solve this problem.  I've used tobasco sauce to solve small chewing problems on other dogs, but I really don't want to coat my cord in tobasco and then get it all over my hands when I go to use it.

The repair is a major pain in the neck.  Need to solve this.

Put her on a leash that doesn't reach the power cord.

I'm surprised a good shock hasn't taught her a few lessons
the hard way. Some breeds are notorious chewers.

Any way to run the cord overhead?  I realize it has to come down on at least the trailer end, but perhaps if not laying in the grass, it wouldn't be so tempting.  I too am amazed that the dog hasn't been shocked.

PVC is an interesting idea.  Would have to be a large pipe to fit the end of the cord into. 

I really wish she would get at least a small shock to teach her a lesson.  I think she gets it unplugged before she gets into the wires.

Get a Dog 'Training Collar'.  They can teach a dog to behave without hurting them - before they get to a bare power wire.  Our Vet calls them the 'voice of god'.

http://www.smartdogcollars.com/

I'd suggest getting your dog some raw beef bones to chew on instead. Sounds like that may be what he needs. Remember raw bones turn to jelly in their stomaches, but cooked bones splinter and can cause serious damage, so be sure they are raw. I give these to my 2 dogs all the time and it keeps them busy and is healthy, as well as cheap :)

Pointerman said:
PVC is an interesting idea.  Would have to be a large pipe to fit the end of the cord into. 

I really wish she would get at least a small shock to teach her a lesson.  I think she gets it unplugged before she gets into the wires.
3"-4" sewer lateral line PVC pipe should do it and it's less costly.

Back
Top Bottom