fresh water tank fill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee77

Filling my fresh water tank on my newly acquired 2004 Brave 34 with the water hook up, I over filled it and the pressure blew the gravity fill cap off and water came out. I assumed there was an over flow but I guess not. What is bothering me is there was a wet spot on the carpet inside the coach at a point over the tank. I dried it up and everything seems ok but I worry that something might have blown on the top of the tank. Any Ideas?

It could be that the FW tank inlet pipe/tube is not sealed all that great, and when the water level went above the top of the tank and was stored in the inlet you got a little leakage.  Under normal circumstances when the tank isn't overfilled, you wouldn't have any problem.  My gray water tank was doing that (leaking near the inlet) when it was totally full the other day.  I haven't experienced any of that leaking up through the interior floor before, but that would all depend on how your rig's plumbing is arranged under there.

I do the same trick about one a year  ::) The overflow (at least on my unit) isn't large enough to discharge the flow rate of the incoming water, so the water come out the gravity fill and also manages to overflow into my basement.  You should be fine.  Set a timer the next time you fill the tank.

Winnebago spin welds the overflow stub and I think the gravity fill stub to the tank. I am not sure what could have blown off the tank. As Scotty said maybe some water got pushed out where the gravity fill hose connects to the tank stub. As I recall there is a screw type hose clamp holding the hose on and it could be  loose enough to let some water out under pressure.

You should see a small overflow hose with a plastic anti bug filter on the end  hanging under the coach. Mine is near the water drain pipe.
My manual says to fill the tank, add water until it comes out of the overflow tube.

As John says air can't escape fast enough though the overflow tube and that causes the tank to expand. When the tank is full and the water is off then the  tank contracts to it's normal size, it will continue to push water out of the overflow tube for a while. I open the gravity fill to provide some additional pressure relief.

a small overflow hose with a plastic anti bug filter on the end  hanging  under the coach.

My overflow pipe has the anti-bug filter inside the tube, some sort of mesh plastic. When I checked it one time, pulled it out, it was totally plugged up with fiberglas shavings. Must have been that way since new.

After cleaning, all systems go.

carson

Lee77 said:
Filling my fresh water tank on my newly acquired 2004 Brave 34 with the water hook up, I over filled it and the pressure blew the gravity fill cap off and water came out. I assumed there was an over flow but I guess not. What is bothering me is there was a wet spot on the carpet inside the coach at a point over the tank. I dried it up and everything seems ok but I worry that something might have blown on the top of the tank. Any Ideas?

Our 2008 does not have a gravity fill, only way to fill is by the city hookup and switched to tank fill or fill by pumping it in via the winterizing hose.  When I fill the tank via the city hookup I fill with city faucet full open for a short time them turn the faucet down some until I see water from the overflow.  My complaint is once you see the water from the overflow and shut the faucet off the water will continue to run about 10 gallons out on the ground.  By the time 10 gallons run out about a half dozen campers have told me I have a leak which then I feel I have to explain.

howdymi said:
---My complaint is once you see the water from the overflow and shut the faucet off the water will continue to run about 10 gallons out on the ground.  By the time 10 gallons run out about a half dozen campers have told me I have a leak which then I feel I have to explain.

Pull your drain lever and let a gallon or three out - that should solve the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom