Would you be offended...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vulcanbill

My wife is starting her own organic dog biscuit business.  This combined with a cross country summer trip will inevitably lead to encounters with dog people at campgrounds, discussions about products and possibly sales.  This isn't a trip about selling biscuits.  This is a trip about being on a trip and seeing the country.  However the reality of our livelihood resting on the success of this business when we get back can't be ignored either.  So the scenario / question is this and I suppose it's mostly geared toward dog people in our case but could apply to others as well... 

If you obviously have an item for which my product is a perfect match, would you be offended if I were to offer you an opportunity to try a sample or buy a batch while you're at the campsite?  I'm not talking camper to camper sales here.  I'm talking about walking by a rig w/ dogs and stopping to be folksy, love on your dog, offer up a treat or 3(with your permission) and say here's our business card if you're interested and we have a bunch in the camper at our site if you wanna buy a couple bags for the road before we part ways.  What we're really hoping for is to hand folks some magnetic business cards for the fridge or microwave so that they have the website when they want to order some more in the future.  If we can get a few samples and cards out whenever it's obvious that dogs are around, then we have a very small but nationwide grassroots marketing campaign just by doing what we would do anyway, but with business cards in hand.

Change dog and dog biscuit to whatever product / service applies to your campsite and think about it.  Maybe you have a dually and I sell a brush that will get in between the wheels for washing.  Maybe you have a pile of kids at your campsite and I sell a little toy that will occupy them for hours.  Maybe you're being blinded by the sun and I sell hats or sunglasses.  Whatever may apply, do you want to know about it if it applies directly to your world?  Discuss.

Personally I would be offended. I hate all forms of advertising and salesmen. It is one of the reasons I don't watch TV. Which is nothing but an endless string of commercials. I might suggest asking the campground host if you could leave some free samples and your card at some location, like the sign in board. I think RVers are honest enough they would only take one sample.

How about cat shaped magnets that say "Tarzan is my co-pilot"?

;D

I would not be offended but your FOLKSY "how ya doin" is no longer sincere.

A sign or Vinyl wrap on your motor home advertising your stuff with " ask us about" " Free sample" lets people decide if they want to Try it and is much less invasive on my vacation.

You would have to check with park management about how they feel about the sign or add.

There is a new trend here in So Cal to pay a motorhome owner a fee and put a full wrap on his/her motorhome advertising something in the demographic of where the owner uses the motorhome. Like energy drinks on a motorhome that is used for desert racing or Glamis or Motorcycle riding, Surf gear for a beach goers motorhome, that kind for advertising is not well received by a lot of parks.

Wayne

vulcanbill said:
How about cat shaped magnets that say "Tarzan is my co-pilot"?

;D
If I was going to get one of those I would custom order it from Vista Print. They do all my calendars, and business cards. They will put my photo on many different items, like coffee mugs, refer magnets, key chains, etc. That way I could choose exactly which photo and exactly how it will appear.

zukIzzy said:
I would not be offended but your FOLKSY "how ya doin" is no longer sincere.

A sign or Vinyl wrap on your motor home advertising your stuff with " ask us about" " Free sample" lets people decide if they want to Try it and is much less invasive on my vacation.
Wayne

Well, that's not true about the sincere part but I see what you're saying and how it could appear that way if not presented properly.  We love perusing dogs at campgrounds and talking dogs with people and often do.  Thus the new line of work. 

Many campgrounds have no solicitation rules.  Be careful, you upset someone and you could be booted.  When registering I think you may be better off letting them know you have a great product, offer to leave samples, and contact information. 

The scenario as you present it, as seen from a campers perspective is this (in my eyes)...
"Oh, aren't RVers friendly, and he is a dog person, likes my dog, maybe invite them over for a campfire later.  Wait, he is selling a product!  AmWay (I know you aren't but this is their biz model), run run.  Let the office know they let in a solicitor."

I see 'ask me about dri-wash' stickers at many places, so solicitation is not universally banned.  However, if we all got into this, can you imagine trying to sit at your campsite with all the vendors walking around? 

On the other hand, if a small sign is allowed, and while walking my dog, I see you and it says you have good dog treats, samples and bags available, I would likely stop. 

vulcanbill said:
Well, that's not true about the sincere part but I see what you're saying and how it could appear that way if not presented properly.  We love perusing dogs at campgrounds and talking dogs with people and often do.  Thus the new line of work.

I was speaking from my perspective only. If approached as you described I no longer beleive the "How ya doin" as sincere once there is a sale attatched. I know you love dogs and doing what you do and that you are sincere but the first impresion would be a sales man impresion if we were to meet as described above.

Just my $.02 it is worth what you paid for it and I wish you luck in the buisness.

Wayne

PancakeBill said:
Many campgrounds have no solicitation rules.  Be careful, you upset someone and you could be booted.  When registering I think you may be better off letting them know you have a great product, offer to leave samples, and contact information. 

The scenario as you present it, as seen from a campers perspective is this (in my eyes)...
"Oh, aren't RVers friendly, and he is a dog person, likes my dog, maybe invite them over for a campfire later.  Wait, he is selling a product!  AmWay (I know you aren't but this is their biz model), run run.  Let the office know they let in a solicitor."

I see 'ask me about dri-wash' stickers at many places, so solicitation is not universally banned.  However, if we all got into this, can you imagine trying to sit at your campsite with all the vendors walking around?

I really don't plan on there being a salesman or solicitation approach.  I'm really low key and it would be more of a discussion about why your dog loves these treats I just offered him and how we hope they're good because we're doing market research and taste testing for our new business.  ...wait for follow up question.  If it doesn't come, sobeit.  I know what you're saying about the salesman thing because I hate that too and wouldn't want to come across that way at all.  More of a "we just started a new business" than "would you like to buy our product".  Is the difference clear?  Does that change anything? 

Bill - There is no such thing as a low key saleman. That is an oxymoron. You will notice a trend here. No one wants to be bothered with commercials while they are camping.

I would stick to a "low key" sign on my site or RV and let the people approach me. But to each it's own method.
J

34footer said:
I would stick to a "low key" sign on my site or RV and let the people approach me. But to each it's own method.
J

We're working on the logo and marketing materials now.  We might already have a sign on the truck / RV by then anyway.  Sounds like we might just leave it at that and friendly conversations.  If someone inquires about the business we're excitedly talking about, we'll hand em a card.  Now I don't want to be salesy at all.  I'm fine with sharing information and if people ask for more then great.  But we won't really be in a sales mode as much as an information dissemination mode.  Sounds like even that needs to be done with kid gloves. 

Well, I have a dog and if you came up to my motor home and offered him a treat I wouldn't let him take it.  And, if you gave him a treat without asking me.....well, it would not be a good thing.  I don't want my dog taking treats from people I don't know; and especially from someone who is just "walking around the RV park".  Plus I don't want to be bothered having to defend why I don't want your product.  I know this sounds harsh; but it's how I would respond.

For me, it would be better if you had a sign at your campsite with a table and some free treats to try, along with, the product information and your website address.  However, I think you'll have some adverting issues at the campgrounds.  So many of the campgrounds do not allow solicitation or down right selling products at the individual's campsite and I value that.  I don't want to be disturbed with people coming to the door and trying to sell me something.  It's sad, but it's kinda the way of society now.

If I were doing this, I'd create a business card with my traveling information.  Many of us have one, it usually has a picture of the couple, their home address, email address and cell phone numbers.  That way we can keep in touch with people we meet along the way on our RV journey.  On that card you could have the website of your product and when you give it out that gets the information into a potential buyers hand, especially if they own a dog; if not, maybe the info gets passed on to their friends who have a dog.

I know my response sounds a bit harsh, but you did ask.

BTW a really good trained dog will not take a treat out of your hand until the owner says it's "OK".  You might run into that too.

Marsha~ 

Marsha/CA said:
Well, I have a dog and if you came up to my motor home and offered him a treat I wouldn't let him take it.  And, if you gave him a treat without asking me.....well, it would not be a good thing.  I don't want my dog taking treats from people I don't know; and especially from someone who is just "walking around the RV park".  Plus I don't want to be bothered having to defend why I don't want your product.  I know this sounds harsh; but it's how I would respond.

For me, it would be better if you had a sign at your campsite with a table and some free treats to try, along with, the product information and your website address.  However, I think you'll have some adverting issues at the campgrounds.  So many of the campgrounds do not allow solicitation or down right selling products at the individual's campsite and I value that.  I don't want to be disturbed with people coming to the door and trying to sell me something.  It's sad, but it's kinda the way of society now.

If I were doing this, I'd create a business card with my traveling information.  Many of us have one, it usually has a picture of the couple, their home address, email address and cell phone numbers.  That way we can keep in touch with people we meet along the way on our RV journey.  On that card you could have the website of your product and when you give it out that gets the information into a potential buyers hand, especially if they own a dog; if not, maybe the info gets passed on to their friends who have a dog.

I know my response sounds a bit harsh, but you did ask.

BTW a really good trained dog will not take a treat out of your hand until the owner says it's "OK".  You might run into that too.

Marsha~

Not harsh at all and my response would be the same.  That's why I had the little caveat (with your permission) in there.  I'd never approach a dog without asking nor would I try to treat without asking.  Sadly, though, that seems to be the exception more than the rule.  How many dogs have you seen so well trained that they wouldn't take a treat?  Ours won't but only if given the "leave it" command.  Best command ever.

I appreciate your honesty and this question was posed out of genuine ignorance not an effort to peddle my wares.  We really are trying to figure out what proper behavior is in this situation.  I'm getting the direction and advice that I sought.  No need to apologize. 

Interesting idea about the cards.  I had no idea. 

Bill, I have a thought.  If the campgrounds won't let you advertise or set anything out in front of your camping site; I wonder if you could design your cards so that it had a site #____ on it.  That way when you pass it out in a campground setting, you could just fill in your site number for that campground and they could seek you out.

Some of the campground when we check in and they know we have a dog, they hand out a dog cookie/treat with the "rules" of the campground.  What if you offered a bag to the campground and some business cards to hand out with the treat.  They way the campground gets a bag free treats to hand out; and you get the advertising. 

Marsha~

I don't have a dog in this, literally, but while we're RVing, the last thing I want is someone trying to sell us something. It's bad enough at home with the unsolicited telephone sales. One nice thing being on the road is we don't have that.....usually!

Good luck with your venture, but perhaps direct marketing to fellow RVers met along the road should be VERY low key! As was mentioned, small signage and lite conversation should the subject arise! Just my thoughts.........!

The OP did say offering treats "with your permission" so I don't think he's going to just hand any dog a treat. But I still think I prefer the idea of a sign at his site / on his RV saying "Ask for a Free Sample of Our Organic Dog Treats" or some such. Just be careful on federal land with something like that....BLM in Quartzsite was going after anyone with any kind of advertising sign a couple of years ago.

Wendy

vulcanbill said:
I'm not talking camper to camper sales here.  I'm talking about walking by a rig w/ dogs and stopping to be folksy, love on your dog, offer up a treat or 3(with your permission) and say here's our business card if you're interested and we have a bunch in the camper at our site if you wanna buy a couple bags for the road before we part ways.

An instructor in a management/marketing class I attended many years ago discussed establishing a Mission Statement - to define our ultimate goal. Many wrote statements such as, "To give good service", or "To Meet Nice People", and such. We were all wrong. The instructor pointed out that none had mentioned, "To stay in business", as a necessary part of any profit oriented business mission statement. In order to achieve that part of a mission - one will "Be Nice to people" or "Provide Good Service". We may enjoy or not enjoy either, but the fact is, we must do it to stay in business.

Anyway, your method of walking around the park, talking folksy, and so forth (tho you may totally enjoy it, or would do it anyway) "is" to make a profit. Up until the time you spring your doggy treats - or perhaps not until you bring out the business card and mention you would be happy to "sell" them a bag or two they may believe you to be just a nice RVing neighbor. But as you've seen from the responses so far, most "will" take offense, or even feel a bit mislead by your suggested contact method.

Actually, soliciting in most parks is prohibited anyway (and what you suggest "is" soliciting). If you did as you suggest in the park I am in now you would be asked to stop, or leave. So whatever your sales approach, be sure to check the park rules and with park management -- even if you just place a sign beside your RV. Several years ago I placed a sign beside my Internet Sat dish set up with my phone number in a park in Arizona. Within 5 hours I was asked to remove the sign or leave the park - and if I didn't, they would "call the cops".

Sounds as though you have a great product, and know that many RVers have dogs. So signs on your rig (if approved by the park), or better yet, setting up a "doggy treat stand" would be a great way to let folks know about your product. However you achieve letting the RVer "come to you", is better than going to their space in hopes of making a sale.

All of this is, of course, IMHO . . .  :) :)

We are not ?campers?, we are travelers who use our MH as a home away from home when we are in a different geographic area to engage in some activity there, like upland bird hunting/guiding.  We spend a decent amount of time each year in our MH and we live in our MH pretty much like we do at home ? we are not there to ?camp?, meet new people, party, etc.  In fact, I?m usually pretty busy between doing my hunting guide thing, telecommuting to manage my regular business and employees, etc.  My wife is handicapped and often not able to be ?on-stage? with visitors without great effort.  What down time we have, we prefer to spend together, undisturbed.

I generally avoid campgrounds for a number of reasons.  One of them is busybodies who seem to have nothing better to do all day than wander around looking for their new best friend to talk at; worse are people who, in one way or another, come on my site uninvited to mess with my dogs.  Someone coming on to my site uninvited to ?chat?, then trying to give food to my dogs and then topping at all off by trying to sell me something? AARRGGHH!

I might be an avid customer for your product, but not if it is sold to me in that manner.

Back
Top Bottom