1992 Ford 460 engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmtzrv27

I just purchased a used 1992 Class C Motor home on a Ford chassis with the 460 engine, took it out this last weekend and discovered that engine does handle uphill grades very well and starts surging, or holding back. I replaced air filter before our first outing and will be doing a tune up and replacing fuel filter. Anybody have any insight on what to look for if tune up does not correct problem. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Regards Marty

Could be the fuel pump starting to let go. You can have the dealer do a pressure test.

My old 460 Ford pickup had a bypass valve built into the 4 barrel Holy Carb.  I would lose power pulling my boat up long grades, it drove me crazy. I finally figured out that if I plugged the bypass valve that now the carb wasn't starved for fuel.  Lots of power, not a lot of MPG, but lots of power!

A '92 Ford 460 has a fuel injection system rather then a carburetor(since '88). So with that said, I would do the easy things - and first of all replace the fuel filter which is relatively small in relation to the engine. I would then check the electric fuel pump output pressure and then the fuel injectors. Occasionally the throttle position sensor  will cause a surge problem, but usually it will cause erratic throttle operation and major acceleration stumble. Then, there are those O2 sensors in the exhaust - and a '92 - about that age for replacement. They feedback to the computer, to determine the fuel mixture. There is also a water temp sensor, but it's something that seldom causes any pain. You also could dry or Teflon lube the linkage (forget about WD40 - it is a water displacer first with a small amount of lube qualities). Also, it probably has an E4OD transmission which may be 'hunting' while in overdrive. This is the last item to check if it seems to shift up and down correctly.

Let us know what you find!!

Thanks for the replies, I meant to say it did not handle uphill grades well in my first post, will be doing a tune up and fuel filter change before I take her out again, and yes not knowing I had a overdrive transmission the overdrive was on, I discovered that on the return trip home. Will re-post after my next outing. Regards Marty

Back
Top Bottom