shower repair questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

My 1997 29' Salem fifth wheel was used exclusively in a park before I got it, so the prior owners took out the shower and put in a closet with a shelf that opened to the bedroom for a tv shelf. I need a shower, so gotta reverse this.

I removed all the "closet" and now I've got a tub with faucet, but the walls are wood, not fiberglass, and there is no shower attachment. Can I just get some sort of fiberglass shower enclosure, either a one piece unit (hard to get one for exact fit) or just three pieces of fiberglass that I can glue or nail onto the existing walls and seal with caulking?

How about the shower head and controls? I can access the back of the tub via an access panel - do I put a splitter in there and attach a couple hoses up to shower control nob and shower head? The existing tub faucet has a lever that should send water up to a shower, but I can't tell how that would work.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Pics coming soon.

The existing faucet should have a port that may now be plugged that would be for the shower.  The lever simply closes off the tub spout and diverts the water up to the shower head.  You can get parts for the shower at most home centers or good hardware stores.  You can also buy shower wall kits that can be trimmed to fit.  The usually come with 3 wall panels and 2 corner pieces that are installed with an adhesive and then sealed.  make sure the adhesive is for the material you are using.  Some of them will attack plastic panels.

Thanks Charlie, is the shower wall kit something I'd get at a hardware store, or at an RV store? I'm guessing it's the same stuff, but cheaper at a hardware store. Can I use any faucets, or are the rv faucets usually a specific size?

Thx again.

In my limited RV experience they are the same.  I know the faucets in my TT have the same hole spacing as household ones.  You should be able to get what you need for the shower at any hardware or home center.  It depends on whether you want a fixed or handheld unit.  My TT has the hose come right off the tub faucet with nothing behind the wall.  The hose just runs up the wall to a holder on the wall.  Is there any plumbing left in the wall? 

Back
Top Bottom