Dish Network vs Direct TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been listening to channel 802, 40s music, this evening and it's GREAT.  Better than the old Big Band Channel.  They even had a rebroadcast of the WWII newscast from 11/23/1942.  Frank's Place is also good listening, lots of Frank, Ella, Louie (both of them), Tony Bennet, all the greats.

Now that is good to know Ned! ?

I love the old big band music. ?I once had a very complete collection of the Glenn Miller band including most of the archived radio broadcasts. ?(it went to the aucvtioneer when we went full time. ?Wish I had had the time to digitize it.

I liked the vocalists and ensembles that sang with the band. ?I especially liked it when Glen clowned around with Tex and others in the band on some of the vocals. ?I am thinking that is the kind of thing you are describing. ?802 might bring back some of this ambiance. ?DTV sort of just stuck to the carefully orchestrated standards of the big bands and I never heard them branch out into the more informal radio broadcast kind of stuff. ?I will check 802 out tomorrow afternoon.

Ned said:
I expect we listen to very different channels.  The classical and jazz selections are an improvement.  I can't address the country and western or rock channels as I don't pollute my environment with any of them :)

Ned,

Last night we sat down to have a nice steak dinner and I always turn on the classical channel. I was very disappointed that there seemed to be a commercial after every selection. I turned off the music. I'm thinking of writing to Direct to complain. I know it won't do any good but I HATE commercials on the music channels. I'll just have to load up the CD changer with my own CDs.

Jim,

We've been listening to several of the classical channels and have heard no commercials, just an occasional announcement related to the previous piece or a statement of the channel number.  What was the channel number you were listening to?  We listen to both 864 and 866.

Ned,

It was 864. I didn't have it loud enough to actually hear the voice but Pat said it was a commercial. I'll have to listen again. I still don't like the interruptions but I could live with an occasional description of the piece. I'll still have to use my CDs for evening meals. :)

Just thought of another thing I don't like. Their descriptions of the type of music is not the most logical. In fact, I had to search by looking at the description within the channel to find what type of music it was.

Many of the channel names aren't too helpful, but the info for each channel does describe the content.  Once I find the channels I like (and there are only a half dozen or so) then I don't need to know the name, just the number.

To me a commercial is an announcement of something unrelated to the channel content, not what I'm hearing.  I have yet to hear one actual commercial on any channel.

We wrote DTV of our dis-satisfaction.  Probably won't do any good since DTV doesn't really seem to have any real concern about what their customers want.  But do it anyway.  You probably did hear commercials we did.

Karl

Your Roady2 XM receiver should have the ability to save up to 10 favorite channels for 1-button selection.

Karl said:
Jim,

With XM, the channel guide is rather cryptic also. Guess you just have to try them all and cross off the ones you don't like :p

Karl,

I had them memorized before they changed. However I could easily find them in the old guide since they made sense. These make no sense at all. It won't do any good to switch to Dish since they are pretty much the same. Left them because they kept changing the content. I'll have to keep listening and see if the interuptions are just info like Ned mentioned.

Tom,

It's actually 30 presets; 10 each in Preset1, Preset2, and Preset3 - more than I'll ever use. Small antenna worked pretty well just laying on the dashboard but faded out sometimes when Hercule, the cat, decided to lay on top of it. Guess fur is a kind of Faraday shield :)?

Addendum: The only major change I could find on the XT was that instead of 10 channel number buttons at the bottom, there are only 5 - each with a left side (1,3,5,7,9) and a right side (2,4,6,8,0). Small improvement, but not worth the extra $$$ IMHO. 

Karl said:
10 each in Preset1, Preset2, and Preset3

That's what I was trying to say, but you knew what I meant  :)

I agree that the XT doesn't appear to be worth the additional price. I'm quite happy with my Roady2 and, in fact, I'm listening to it via the sound system on the boat as I type.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom