Inverter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jack65274

I am putting a 400 watt inverter into my RV so I can run my cpap machine at night.  It is rated at 2.5 amps.  The inverter came with 3' long battery cables.  Is it ok to lengthen those cables to reach the battery compartment?  Do I need to disconnect those cables when recharging?  I have a single battery system...will that be enough to run this device overnight?

Jack

I would expect the cables are set at that length for the maximum draw of the inverter so I would not lengthen them.  2.5A@120VAC is 25A@12VDC.  You can use an extension cord for the 120VAC if necessary to reach your CPAP machine.

What size is the battery?  How much power does the CPAP machine draw?  I doubt that a single battery will be sufficient, you will probably need to add at least one more.

We have several members here that use CPAP machines on inverters so they can give you more real experience data.

If anything the cables that come with the inverter may be a bit anemic (Small or weak) for the job.. I'd either seriously upgrade the cables or shorten them and use a longer 120 volt cord.

Also, tape the two DC cables side by side ... Once it's up an running this is not important but in that first fraction of a second... It can make a big difference.

I uprated the power wires (double the gauge) to the 375w Radio Shack inverter I use and have it running over 7 feet of wire (this is in my Toyota 4runner, can't really use a 120v extension cable), but in your case I'm with the other guys. I'd just get a longer 120v cord instead.

Some CPAP's can use 12 volts.  Mine does.  You may want to check with the dealer who sold it to you.  I got a 12V cable for mine and it runs the machine fine.  The only issue is - it does not run the heated humidifier, which is a problem if you use that feature.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom