Dead Kool O Matic Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDH16

Hello,
I just purchased a partially restored 1991 Foretravel ORED, with the intent of completing the restoration. One of the issues is the large Kool-O-Matic ventilation fan.  At some point in time in the past one of the rubber isolators came un bonded from its support screwed and allowed the fan blades to contact the side of the housing which damaged the motor.  I may be able to have the motor rebuilt and bring the fan back into action however the information placard on the inside of the housing lists the power draw for this fan at 4 amps on low speed and 8.2 on high. This seems to me to be unreasonably high power consumption when compared to more modern fans such as the Maxx Air Turbo Maxx which draws about half that.
Has anyone had a similar experience with a Kool-o-Matic, if so what did you do? The housing and support structure for the Kool-O-Matic seems to be very firmly attached to the top of the RV, looks like a sheet metal screw every inch or so all along the perimeter of the housing, I would guess 75 to 100 screws, therefore 75 to 100 holes to plug if I remove that housing.
Anyone have any ideas?.
Thank you.
MDH

Kool O Matic has stopped production, but they say they have repair parts for RV Fans. See their website at: http://www.kool-o-matic.com/

We had the Kool o Matic in our Windsor for 10 years and really like it.

ken

Dun dunnit'  ;D
Kool-O-Matic dude said they have no more motors, suggested that I get this one rebuilt or find a replacement in the same size range.  Which is cool, I am just pondering other lower amperage options as I'll probably do a fair amount of dry camping.
I have a pretty good battery bank but that's still a lot of amps
Thanks

When I called Kool-O-Matic, I too was informed that they had no more motors and it seemed that any RV repair shop I called had just parted with their last one "a month ago." (Someone stockpiling them?)

Anyway, I found a place that rebuilt my motor (rewound the armature). The shop is:

Rebuilder
722 Central Ave S
Kent, WA 98032

(253) 854-0671

They charged $152 for the rebuild. I think that was a little steep, but I was really happy to get the thing back. It works like new and it is quiet again!

Kool-O-Matic Replaced.
If anyone is interested I finally got around to replacing the dead Kool-O-Matic, I decided to go with a MaxxAir TurboMaxx and could not be any happier.
I removed the Kool-O-Matic motor and blades, and all the internal support structures, then went up top and loosened three bolts around the perimeter of the housing and pulled the fiberglass cap. The TurboMaxx went on right over the existing round hole, I bolted it too the roof with four 1.5' lag bolts through the original Kool-O-Matic base. 
My Kool-O-Matic was never in working order so I don't know how much air it moved but the TurboMaxx moves a ridiculous amount of air, something like 1300 CFM, and does so on 4amps.
I purchased the TurboMaxx through Amazon for $258, I try to buy locally whenever possible, but the best price I could get was $310 locally, and $50 IS $50.
I highly recommend the TurboMaxx!
MDH

Back
Top Bottom