Need help on Houston, TX Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayou Talker

We just got word today that my wife's mother may have pancreatic cancer and they want to send her to M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. As we live in Northeast Alabama and she lives in South Louisiana and neither of us has any place to stay in the Houston area we are in need of a reasonably priced campground in the Houston area. I was laid off in February and don't have a lot of excess cash at hand but we have to do what is necessary in the event that she needs to stay for an extended period so we need an affordable place. If anyone knows of a good place, please let me know. I want to be ready in the event we need to make the "mad dash".

I haven't stayed at any of these because I live here but here is a link to Houston parks. http://www.rvdad.com/texas-rv-parks.html#rvdad897. SouthMain and Lakeview are pretty close to the medical center but probably pricey too. I live in Katy off of I-10 and just west of me is Brookshire that has a couple parks that can be seen from I-10. They are probably cheaper but you will use more gas. 35 minutes to medical center in off ours and 45 minutes during rush hour. I-10 to 610 south to 59 north to Kirby south.  Here is the Brookshire link http://www.rvdad.com/texas-rv-parks.html#rvdad835. take care....

Thanks for the info. So far Lakeview is looking like a possibility but you are right...they are pricey but with the price of diesel it might not be as bad as it looks on the surface.

Two weeks ago my wife and I camped for a week at the Rayford Crossing Campgroud/Resort at The Woodlands, just north of Houston. Take the Rayford Exit off I-45, go East 1-1/2 miles and follow the signs on the right to the campground. We enjoyed our stay in a very nice camp area. The camp ground included very nice amenities, including swimming pool, general store, laundry, picknik area, dining lounge, meeting rooms, near-by recreation area including horse back riding, large pull-throughs, 50 amp hookup, etc.

Thanks for the info Rancher but their rates are a bit high for our circumstances. I only need a place to park the camper to stay in at night. I won't have time for all of the amenities so there is no need to pay for them.

How close to Houston do you want to try and stay.  I live about 35 miles northeast, up 59, and there are numerous places around here.  Coming in 59 is going to be easier than say I-10 or I-45, but still once you hit downtown, if that's where this particular place is, will be pretty rough (traffic wise).  There are a couple of RV/Mobile Home parks around here that may be fairly inexpensive I can check into, but it would help to know how far you are willing to drive.  I drive the 35 miles into work every day, but I stop just short of downtown and come in early and leave early so I miss the majority of the traffic.

It looks like she will be going to MD Anderson so yes it is downtown. I have traveled in the Houston area quite a bit and I sure would not be going there if it wasn't necessary. I hate big city traffic. As for a place to stay, I will need to balance the cost of the park with the cost of commuting back and forth and do whatever is financially best especially with not knowing how long we need to be there. Of course I would like to stay as close as possible but I am not against a bit of a drive if it saves some money. I can plan my commute for less busy times.

edjunior said:
How close to Houston do you want to try and stay.  I live about 35 miles northeast, up 59, and there are numerous places around here.  Coming in 59 is going to be easier than say I-10 or I-45, but still once you hit downtown, if that's where this particular place is, will be pretty rough (traffic wise).  There are a couple of RV/Mobile Home parks around here that may be fairly inexpensive I can check into, but it would help to know how far you are willing to drive.  I drive the 35 miles into work every day, but I stop just short of downtown and come in early and leave early so I miss the majority of the traffic.

We stayed at the Riverbend Campground in Richmond last year. It is a no frills place, but is quiet, clean, has a nice laundry, close to grocery store and super wal-mart
and other shops. Its about 5 miles from 59 and if you go in us90/main st it brings you right to the medical center. Most days you will not have much traffic (for Houston). The best part it's only 200 per month plus electricity.

Dave
Currently in Chesapeake Va.

Thanks Dave, that sounds like what I am looking for. I will check into it.

Dave R said:
We stayed at the Riverbend Campground in Richmond last year. It is a no frills place, but is quiet, clean, has a nice laundry, close to grocery store and super wal-mart
and other shops. Its about 5 miles from 59 and if you go in us90/main st it brings you right to the medical center. Most days you will not have much traffic (for Houston). The best part it's only 200 per month plus electricity.

Dave
Currently in Chesapeake Va.

Wow Dave..good find.  That's better than I have here so far.  There is one in Porter, but no website.  I would have to stop by and check.  Let me know if you would like me to.

Porter looks like it would be a tough drive into downtown especially in the morning. Riverbend looks like a good deal but if I factor in the fuel to make the commute every day, it might be about the same end result as paying more at a closer campground like Lakeview and not having to drive as far. That diesel dually is not as cheap to run as a Prius. Thanks for trying though.

Right now she is going through tests in Louisiana. We should know in a day or two if the trip will be necessary. Then we will have to make a decision on where to stay.

Here is one in New Caney called Forest Retreat.  We have stayed there several times and it is very nice if you call the owner and explain your circumstances he may work with you.  He is very nice and considerate.  I lived in Kingwood, TX and had to go to MD and did not find the traffic an issue and would take me about 30-40 min.  The traffic from Kingwood  to the Med Center is heavy  (About 7:00-9:30AM) and from MD (4:30-6:30PM).  I suspect from New Caney it may take an hour give or take, but Rt 59 is a 4-6 lane road and moves pretty well. 

Call MD Anderson give them your circumstances and ask them where they would recommend staying. I suspect this is not the 1st time someone has requested where they could camp.  They may even have a CG that provides discounts to patients.

http://forestretreatrvpark.com/

I took a look at their site and it looks like a nice place but their rates are about the same as some I have checked a lot closer to the hospital. When I factor in about 15 mpg @ $3/gal. at best for a trip a day, an hour drive would add considerable expense to the cost of the accomodations and we would be farther away in the event of an emergency. It looks like we will need to choose a spot closer to the hospital.

Thanks for the info. I will take your advice and talk to the hospital too. That might be the answer.

Back
Top Bottom