Typical Carrying Capacity for a Fifth Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougar3514v

A few months ago, my wife and I decided to begin looking for a fifth-wheel and a new tow vehicle.  It will be our first.  We have been studying everything we can get our hands on before making our purchase.  In the interest of picking a trailer before a tow vehicle, we concentrated on that issue first, and we think we?ve found the one we like: the Keystone Cougar 290EFS.  I?ve heard about the problems with broken dishes in a rear kitchen, but the layout is perfect for us.  I noticed, however, that the carrying capacity for the 290EFS is lower than that of all the other Cougar fifth wheels.  It?s only 2100#.  My wife and I do tend to travel light. (For the past four years, we?ve traveled in a Ford Escape!)  Does anyone feel that this amount of payload would be too limiting?  I know that I have to subtract the weights of any and all options, but since I?ve never done this before, I don?t know the typical weights of the options.  Thank you for helping me out.

-Dave

I am a solo Rver in a 40 ft motorhome, strugling to stay under my 3100 lb payload. The 25 totes( 15 qt size) full of books has absolutely nothing to do with it...

Does anyone feel that this amount of payload would be too limiting?  I know that I have to subtract the weights of any and all options, but since I?ve never done this before, I don?t know the typical weights of the options.  Thank you for helping me out.

Depends.  If you are full timing maybe.  If you are just vacationing you have to examine your motives:  Are you trying to get away from it all, or take it all with you.  ;D

Anyway the 2000 lbs must include your water (40 gallons = 320 lbs), your propane at 4 lbs per gallon, and anything not standard in the price.  The big item in the latter is the awning.

Back
Top Bottom