WalMart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elk Oil

I'm new and ignorant to RVing, so please excuse my naivete.  I also did a lot of searching and haven't found what I consider a good answer, so please forgive what may be a question that asked way too frequently to the veterans out there.

Why is WalMart specifically a popular parking spot?  Do they allow it more frequently than others?  Are they particularly RV-friendly?  Is there something special about a WalMart lot that makes it an attractive option?  It's such a popular topic that there's even a message board here dedicated to it.

Run a search on WalMart and you'll find lots of prior discussions here. Alternatively, just browse this Camping at Wal*Mart and other non-campgrounds boards.

You more or less have it.. Wal-mart, as a General rule (All but the Small "Neighborhood" stores) Welcomes overnighters cause... Well, you tend to shop where you stop.

On the other hand some cities, counties and even a few states have laws against overnighting anywhere but a paid for campign spot.  (I kind of wonder what will happen if/when the Chief Justice of SCOTUS parks in one of those states overnight and gets a ticket)

Also, wal-mart tends to have very low prices.. Making shoppign there attractive to many.. Of course that low price is not without a secondary hidden cost or 2 or more, but..  What can I say.. I just had to put a new end on a wall-mart water hose.  The wal-mart quality one. (Very ilght weight metal) blew right off

John From Detroit said:
...some cities, counties and even a few states have laws against overnighting anywhere but a paid for camping spot. ...

Cities and counties, yes.

There is no state in the US that has a banned Overnight RV Parking statewide. However, ARVC (The Association of RV Parks and Campgrounds) has attempted state-wide bans in several states, but all have failed so far. A similar law proposed last year in Maine (proposed at the request of a campground owner) met with such ridicule that the legislator who had introduced the bill soon withdrew it.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA

Sam Walter was an RVer, and the ultimate merchandiser as such, he made it a corporate policy to allow RVs to park in their lots.  I think that even to t6oday, t6here is no proof that Walmart sales are increased significantly through this privilege, but it continues to be a part of their policies.  Anecdotally, we have seen figure here saying that average sales to RV overnighters exceed $100, but who really knows.
    From the RVer standpoint, a Walmart lot is usually near a major road/highway.  It is well lit, and relatively well patrolled.  Many are 24 hour, so offer convenience if you are trying to stop late.  Usually, they are quiet, and offer easy access/exit if you are pulling a toad.
    From our standpoint, we will only use a Walmart/Flying J or similar place when we are trying to make time.  We will never put down our jacks, or put out the slide.  We will never use it as a site, and disconnect the toad to explore the area.  It is for overnighting, and moving on in the morning, yet we have all seen people who set up with lawn chairs, awnings, BBQ's, etc and stay for a while.
    I hope that's what you were looking for.

Ed

We prefer the 24hr stores as they have "security" and lighting all night.  I realize that the security person would be limited to calling the local police in the event of a problem but I assume that his presence might deter some of the issues that could develop in a dark, unpeopled, parking lot.

You asked why W/M is so popular and I guess that's partly because there is so much information on how to find them.  I have several books that list the stores along the way to where I am heading and give directions and addresses.  It's just a lot easier to find their stores.  We have often stopped and immediately gone in to pick up some items we needed and returned with three bags, a short time later.  And as we are entering our trailer, we see another rig pull in and the people get out and go in and soon they are returning with three bags, etc.  Seems like a win-win situation.

As others have stated, WalMarts are relatively safe and convenient when traveling.

Due to the varying rules, such as local ban on parking or WalMart not owning the parking lot, it is wise to check first before stopping. That can be done easily by calling 1-800-walmart. When prompted put in the zip code of the store where you wish to stay. That will give you a phone number so you can call the manager and ask if it is OK to stop. I can't remember any time when we were told we could not stay overnight. Sometimes they will ask you to park in a specific area of the lot. We always try to stay on the perimeter away from the front entrance.

Jim:

We have always called ahead to ask permissionj but this month we have had two occasions where the response has been "Our management cannot approve overnight parking". In  the case of the first in Pooler, Ga we stayed nearby and observed many RVs there that night and at the second in Port Charlotte, FL the lady answering the phone said the same but added "we don't really mind if you park out on the north side of our lot."

I wonder if this is a reaction to that ridiculous lawsuit in California?

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Sam Walter was an RVer, and the ultimate merchandiser as such, he made it a corporate policy to allow RVs to park in their lots.  I think that even to t6oday, t6here is no proof that Walmart sales are increased significantly through this privilege, but it continues to be a part of their policies.  Anecdotally, we have seen figure here saying that average sales to RV overnighters exceed $100, but who really knows.

Thought it was Sam Walton.  I have ask for permission at several 24 hour stores, Wal-Mart, Meijer's, V-G's (a food store near me) and more.. Only been turned down once (NO surprise as that store did not have a good place for me to park) and he gave me a very good alternative spot to park it. (Right near)

As for sales.. No matter where I park I try to Patronize the store..  For example.. When I parked at Meijer's I picked up some Propane for my "Match" (A Brenz-o-matic torch) that I use for campfires, I also got some tape for my Brother TZ Label maker (NOTE: Best price on TZ tape I have EVER seen) and some other things.

I also try to park "out of the way"  At Wall-mart Security came by and checked on us from time to time during the night.. Which is better than the other stores I've parked at.

At Cracker Barrel (We had both dinner and breakfast at the same store) One employee said "I did not see you"  This rig is 38' long (not counting the cargo tray) 12.5 high and fully set up (We were not) 13 feet wide (About 11 feet without the main slide out)  And the only way to get into the store parking lot is to drive right past us.

(Funny sign: Parking for BLIND only)

Oops, John, when you're right you're right. Sam Walters is a former neighbour, Sam Walton is the founder of Walmart.  Sorry  :-[

Ed

RV's used to park at the Eugene, OR Walmart, but it recently was posted "No RV Overnight Parking". No explanation.

No problem Ed.. No problem.

And for Jack D... (Humm, I'm John D and Jack is often a nickname for John)

Usually when "no overnight parking" signs go up at a Wall Mart the reason is the same.

An organization of campground owners has petitioned and lobbied either local, county or state government to pass a "Onlly park RV's at campgrounds or your own home" law.

I know one of the companies that is involved with this is the Affinity group (Camping World) since they own campgrounds (Oasis for one) and the other private campground owners in that area are often right beside them in the government meeting house.

My Recommendation is that you find out if this is the case, then post the results of that search, then thank the folks who caused the law to happen in every way you can.. IE: Shopping elsewhere,,,, (Note that elsewhere includes Wall-mart) and/or Voting for the other guy if you can (Sometimes the aroma of the other guy is so overpowering you simply can't vote for him)

[quote author=John From Detroit ]
Usually when "no overnight parking" signs go up at a Wall Mart the reason is the same.

An organization of campground owners has petitioned and lobbied either local, county or state government to pass a "Onlly park RV's at campgrounds or your own home" law.[/quote]

I'm not sure how you can know this to be the "usual", or predominant,  reason. 

My inquiries would indicate that the main reason for "No Overnight  Parking" signs at Wal-Mart locations is in circumstances where Wal-mart  is either not the only, or not the anchor, tenant in that location and  the decision to allow or disallow parking falls to the resident property  management company.

I dunno Porky. I've run into an awful lot of WalMarts who posted "no overnight parking" sigsn because the city councils, pushed by local campgrounds, made them. Two examples in my neck of the woods are Cortez and Durango.

Wendy

[quote author=Wendy]
I've run into an awful lot of WalMarts who posted "no overnight parking" sigsn because the city councils, pushed by local campgrounds, made them. Two examples in my neck of the woods are Cortez and Durango.[/quote]

Wendy, I'm sure a lot of that exists in and around popular (end destination) tourist locations.  However, I don't think the average Wal-Mart, in the average town, along the average Interstate is going to find themselves in that situation.  My experience with Wal-Mart parking, in less exotic en-route locations (i.e. Resume Speed, TN and/or Lizard lick, NC) has been somewhat different.     

Jeff,

Might be several reasons for their response. I'm sure Walmart may not care but they might not own the parking lot or there may have been some complaints. :)

I've only seen it prohibited in a couple of places one in Tn that walmart most likely dosen't own the lot and one in Ky that they may not.
That was the one i went by a few years ago and there were 3 trailers "camping " in one corner of the lot disconnected from the TV and people sitting in chairs around them.

The WalMart in Bend Oregon no longer allows overnighting because RVers (bad RVers) were practically homesteading there. They'd park, get out all the goodies, put out the slides, and stay for weeks at a time. Ruined a good thing for everyone. In that case, I think it was more Wal-Mart's decision rather than a city ordinance or someone else owning the property.

Wendy

Wendy said:
I dunno Porky. I've run into an awful lot of WalMarts who posted "no overnight parking" sigsn because the city councils, pushed by local campgrounds, made them. Two examples in my neck of the woods are Cortez and Durango.

Wendy

In Woodland Park CO (near Pikes Peak) also....no overnight "camping" the signs say.  It's a City Ordinance.

My post was just an observation. I live in the area, so no need for me to stay there. One reason may be that Eugene is very friendly to the homeless, allowing them to camp on city streets in any industrial zoned area. And they do. Perhaps some were using Walmart PL for permanent quarters????? Homeless, or not, anyone can "camp" on a Eugene city street in an industrial area. I think there are time limits, however. Looking around, those limits must be generous, judging from the piles of trash/garbage laying around the "campers". Not a pretty sight. Still they must have some place to hang their hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom