Backing under camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfconlon

Does anybody have any tips for backing under a camper with a crew cab. I am able to do it by myself with a regular cab truck, however I am finding out that a crew cab is a whole different animal.

Only done it with reg and ext cabs, but know there is a difference there.  What I did is put some tape at the edges of the bed and center, then tape in the center of the base of the camper, when you back to it, get aligned.  This helps centering and also with squaring.  I had bumpers at he bottom of the camper, and backed gently till they bumped, , then forward about 1/2.  After a couple times it gets to be second nature.

Good idea! I will try anything just so my wife won't quite on me. After 45min of pull up, go this way, turn your wheels to the left (I said my left) she said to sell it and get another TT! Thanks

We had a long bed crew cab dually with swing out front brackets to accommodate the flare out over the duallys  It was always stressful.  It takes time and you'll get a feel, for us it was a lot of slight turns to one side, then a slight turn to the other backing up slowly as we went trying to get the camper in straight.  We solved most of the problem by having me drive and my husband guide me under the camper.  I knew when I had the middle line of the back slide window on the truck at a certain position with the middle line of the camper slide window, I was lined up.  I could only see if from the driver's seat.  When we first got it, the camper had hydraulic jacks to raise and lower it from the bed of the truck; we later switched them to electric.  That helped quite a bit.

Marsha~

I have the same problem.  What I did was get a 8' x 1" PVC pipe and cut it in half 4' then attached the pipes to the camper along the sides that go between the wheel wells as low on the body of the camper as you can.  I then purchased 2 driveway markers (home depot) and inserted them into the pipes.

Pull the markers out as far as they will go without falling out of the tubes.  Line up the markers to go between the wheel wells and you will be able to back up the truck with a better idea of how you are lined up.  I got the idea from this forum and it worked great.

Srose, can you attach a drawing or photo?  I just can't visualize how/where you are attaching the pipe and markers.

SROSE, how about a picture, can't quiet visualize what you are saying.

I have always backed our crew cab under the 5er by myself.

When you say "camper" it could mean anything,, what "camper" are you describing??  Also wal-mart has a kit that uses magnetics and an 18 inch stalk with yellow balls at the ends, one for the truck and one for the "camper", when the balls are aligned you are there..>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
When you say "camper" it could mean anything,, what "camper" are you describing??  Also wal-mart has a kit that uses magnetics and an 18 inch stalk with yellow balls at the ends, one for the truck and one for the "camper", when the balls are aligned you are there..>>>Dan

They are talking about truck campers as this is posted in the "Truck campers" board.

[quote author=utahclaimjumper]You don't get that when you pick it up from the "message board" window.[/quote]

Dan, irrespective how you retrieve a message, you should (see) the breadcrumb above the top message on the page - see the top line in the attached screen shot. Does that show on your screen?

Attachments

• Breadcrumb.jpg
    Breadcrumb.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 26
And the unread messages list shows what section the message is in along with the original poster.

Phew! Thanks Dan, I thought I had another bug to track down.

Back
Top Bottom