Camper air vent leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almost13ranch

I have a TC that has a leak coming from the left rear corner of the vent over the bed. I sealed the edge of the vent as well as a metal extrusion that covers a seam between two different materials in front of the vent with a silicone type of roofing sealer. The camper's in the rain 200 miles from here and is leaking a steady drip. A tarp was put over the front of the camper and that stopped the leak. Do you think that the screws that attach the vent could be leaking? Any idea of what to try next?

you can buy strip caulking at home depot,looks like really thick self stick tape.
just remove the vent,remove all the old caulking,lay down strips of new caulking
reinstall the vent.
if the screw holes are stripped,just put toothpicks in the holes, and use new screws.
don't use a torque wrench to tighten them---just snug

my 2 cents

Clint

You should NEVER use silicone sealer on anything on your roof....for some reason, it will always leak.  The previous owner of my camper did that and I got more water in the ceiling and walls than you could believe.  Use the sealer that comes in a 1 gallon paint can from Camping World.  It has fibers and a white roofing cement that is like thick paint.  Clean off all the old Silicone carefully, then spread the sealer with a paint stir stick around your vent.  While you are at it, do the rest of the roof.  Scrape off all old sealer as much as possible.  I do this about every 2 or 3 years on my camper, which is outside 100% of the time.

Thank you for the information, and forgive me for not posting what i did to solve the problem. I tried to use some expensive, very clear sealant and it still leaked. I then bought a can of "Leak Stopper" rubberized sealant, also expensive. It comes in a quart can and looks like mayonnaise, but dries crystal clear. I then checked my work with a helper and a sprinkler in a hose. Still leaked, but I got to see where it was coming from for myself.  The vent itself was cracked at the hinges. I drilled and pop riveted each hinge and sealed the cracks and no more leaks. Thanks again for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom