Winter Camping, in central Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjiray

Anyone know of a campground that allows winter camping for extended stays? Thanks !!

I would suggest looking at a Trailer Life Campground Directory.  The front section of maps will have one for Illinois.  The dots on the map will tell you whether there are any campgrounds listed for the area in which you are interested and the name of the town.  Then go to the Illinois section of the directory and look under the name of the town to find what campgrounds are nearby.  Each entry will tell you when they operate if they are limited.  For example, some are only open from April 15 - October 15, so they are not open in the winter.  This, at least, will help you eliminate some.  Elsewhere in the entry will be most of the other information you need such as type of hookups, whether there is a dump station, length of sites, whether there is a maximum length of stay (some public parks have two week limits, for example), and other amenties such as wifi.

Also, if you're near an Illinois Visitor Center (usually on interstates near state lines) they often have brochures about campgrounds that are not listed in any of the large directories because smaller campgrounds especially can't afford the advertisement cost.  The Trailer Life and Woodalls directories charge the campgrounds for their entries.

ArdraF

Where are you here in our beloved Land of Lincoln?  Most of the state parks campgrounds are open year round, but I don't think they guarantee water hookups.  You'd probably need to call around and ask at whatever specific parks is closest to you.

Peoria has (had?) a mobile home park with some RV pads that were open year round.

I stayed at one in Peotone it's off of I-57 about 30 miles south of Chicago.

Look in rvparkreviews.com they have searching by town and show nearby parks too.

Check for membership parks. Cutty's here in Des Moines IA is open yr round, but turns off the water for the winter.

All state parks are open. You will not have water though. Extended stay might be a issue also. You may have a hard time finding one that has water turned on year round.

THANKS EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!!

I am in Texas, between Dallas and F Worth and moving back to where i grew up !!

Looks like Jellystone has hook ups.

Which Jellystone are you looking at?  Their rates are VERY high by most campground price standards.  The amenities are nice, but extra activities usually cost extra money.

I was born and raised in Illinois. Why would you want to camp in the winter there? It gets extremely cold and RVs aren't very well insulated.

Back
Top Bottom